Subscribe: The 20 Minute Runner Listener Race Report
Added By: Feedage Forager Feedage Grade B rated
Language: English
Rate this Feed
Rate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feed
Rate this feed 1 starRate this feed 2 starRate this feed 3 starRate this feed 4 starRate this feed 5 star

Comments (0)

Feed Details and Statistics Feed Statistics
Preview: The 20 Minute Runner Listener Race Report

The 20 Minute Runner Listener Race Report

Check out the homepage of The 20 Minute Runner at:

Updated: 2018-03-02T08:52:18.835-08:00


Great Orme Challenge 15K, 2010


From David Yelland22nd August 2010 Preparation for this race had been a little aimless. I had not had any long term plans to do this race, my A race for the season is the Angelsey Half Marathon in late September, and I had just returned 2 days before the race from a 4 day break away with my wife and girls. My recent running has been very good. After the disaster of the Chester Marathon I had decided I was lacking in aerobic fitness. So the last few months had seen my weekly and monthly mileages ramp up. June had 23 hrs of running and biking, July saw 30 hours of running with me setting a new monthly record of 178.59 miles. August was going well when my wife decided we needed a short break! My expectation for August is in the 165 miles region. I hope, by the middle of next year to be consistently putting out 200 miles a month.I did the Great Orme Challenge last year but since then the race has changed. It has grown from a 5km sprint straight up to the top of the Orme, to a 15km race around the perimeter of the Orme and back!The combination of scenery and a clear blue sky made this race pretty challenging. The course is basically a 2 mile hill followed by a .5 mile flat section and a 2 mile decent, turn around and repeat! On the day I was running a little late, lots of domestic stuff to sort with 4 girls at home for the holidays.In the end I made it down to the start line with 5 mins to go before the 12am race start. I immediately pinned my bib number on and started warming up. My friend Richard had already arrived and so off we went for a warming jog. My wife and youngest child had decided to support me on this race and went off to park the car. As 12 o’clock approached I checked my 2 drinks bottles, High 5 4:1 as normal, and the horn sounded. I was trying to keep the pace pretty even for the first part of the race as my heart rate would be a major factor in this race. I had worn my ICE Skins compression shorts to help keep the heat down, but with a 20C plus forecast and 20mph easterly winds this race was going to be all about pacing.The first mile ends with a 1000m stretch up an easy hill of about 100ft. My pace was around the 8min region which was nice and easy. My target for this race had been 80mins. This would mean around a 8.30min pace average. Considering the elevation gain, just under 1000ft, this would mean a good days work. As the race started at 12pm I fell into a nice even pace. I was running a 10 min run 1 min walk routine for this race. I sometimes reduce the walk interval at the beginning of a race but with the constant hills this course was not suited to short recoverys. Everything was going well past mile 1 and into mile 2. My average heart rate was a bit high but it fell 17 beats during the first rest interval so everything was fine. Through mile 2 my HR only dropped 11 beats which was a bad sign. As the main hill awaited my average HR was too high to keep the pace up. My pace for mile 3 was 9.33min. Far too slow. By the end of the mile I was on the flat so my HR dropped a full 19 beats during the walking minute. By the beginning of the 4th mile I was trying to keep my HR down while running the decent. Keeping my cadence around 90 had been easy in training but now it felt much harder. At this point I saw my wife and youngest child by the road side. A quick kiss and a high five later saw me push on to the drinks table at the turn around point. The turnaround was at 41mins. I had 39 mins to get home. As I started the assent I noticed that my race number had fallen off! I turned and ran back about 10 meters to pick it up off the floor. As I picked it up it became clear that the problem was that the paper had become so wet as to be useless. I tucked it into the front of my shorts and returned to the race! The return leg went really well. I spotted a few runners in the distance and went after them. As I approached them I would need to take a walk break but by the end of the race I had them in my sights. Unfortunately the final section of the race came earlier than I had expected. I felt like I had loads of [...]

MBNA Chester Marathon 2010


(From David in the UK)For most endeavors there is a rule book. In fact there are 2 rule books. The first set of rules are to stop people cheating each other. The second set are to ensure you don’t cheat yourself out of your best performance. After running my first marathon on May 31st 2010 I have found that this second rule book is best written after the event! My planning for this race was pretty through. I had abstained from caffeine for 2 weeks to ensure it’s introduction into my race would be as effective as possible. I had trained for 16 weeks in rain, snow and a little bit of sunshine. I had learnt several lessons from my recent Chester Half Marathon, just 2 weeks before. I have to say, I was as ready as I could have been. On the days leading up to the race I had rested well. My left knee had been causing problems for a few weeks, since my last 20 miler, but it appeared to be fine as I arrived at the Chester Rugby Club at 7.30am for registration. The only open question for me was which shoes to run in. All the rest of my equipment was the same as I had run in for the last 50 runs. I had taken my racing flats with me as well as my normal running shoes. I did this because in the back of my mind I had connected the pain in my left knee with the Asics Gel Cumulus shoes I had used for most of my training. At the last moment I decided to go with the Puma Cell racing flats. The have very little protection but I have never had any soreness before after using them. The race was due to start at 9.30am. I had been watching the weather for the last few weeks as I am not used to running in the heat. Almost all my training happens between 5am and 7am. The temperature was projected to be around the 20C mark or 70F. There was very little wind which would mean keeping my core temperature down would be vital if I was to do my best. In order for this to happen I had decided to aim at a sub 4 hour finish. My ideal target, the one I had trained for was 3 hours 40 mins. All my training runs had indicated that I was capable of this. My last 20 miler had come in at 2 hrs 54mins, on target for a time of 3 hrs 45 mins and had been achieved at a nicely aerobic heart rate. As 9.30am approached I had decided that I was going to keep my heart rate below 150 for the first half of the race then I would take my caffeine supplement and increase that to a 160 maximum on the return. The race started at 9.30am. It took a few seconds to cross the timing mat and we were off. I tried to keep my Heart Rate down and not go off too fast, I knew I would pay for it later if I did. Mile 1 was completed in 8 mins 20 sec. My Average HR for this mile was 138. Cadence, the number of steps I took, was good at 164 steps per minute, so I wasn’t overstriding. The course was pretty flat and with the run/walk protocol I was running, 9 min 20 sec running followed by 40 sec walking I had decided to use my mp3 player. I listened to Marathon Talk, one of my favorite podcasts. This episode was exactly 1 hr 53 mins long. If I was on target I should be at the half way point as the podcast finished. This was my plan. Mile 2 was completed in 8.30 everything was going great. AHR was 142 and cadence was 164. I was feeling very strong. My walk breaks were having the effect I hoped for. My first walk break had dropped my HR by 14 beats from 143 to 129bpm. The second break moved my HR down from 149 to 135bpm. I had no pain and everything was looking good. Mile 3 was completed in 8.50, a little slow but it did include a small hill. AHR was up to 147, reflecting the effort on the hill but this dropped off by 6 beats after the walk break. Miles 4 through mile 13 were perfect. AHR was 147 and cadence was around 160. My time at the turn around was around 1 hr 55 mins.My plan was to take my caffeine supplement at 13 miles so as to keep my energy levels high for the rest of the race. However, things didn’t go exactly to plan. I was feeling very strong but I had already used 4 out of my 6 drink bottles. T[...]

Shell Chester Half Marathon 2010 - May 16, 2010


(From David in the UK)Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. (George Santayana)The weather forecast for Sunday May 16th was for temps around 13C and cloud cover, with the likelihood of rain showers. It was for this reason that I felt confident heat/wind would not be an issue.On the other hand my sleep had not been great in the days leading up to this race and I had decided to enjoy my favorite meal of vegetable tikka masala on the evening before. In addition I had not fasted from caffeine as I had done last year. Looking back now this tells me something about how I was thinking. The FIRST training plan I have been following had a 13 mile run at marathon pace, 8.23 for me, in the plan. So it was a happy coincidence that this race fit in perfectly.I had prepared my drinks before I left the house with 6 scoops of powder across the 4 8oz bottles. 2 of the bottles had 4 caffeine tablets in them. I took 4 Sportslegs 1 hour before the start, as I have done before all of my races, be they bike or running. I was wearing my original Asics Cumulus 6 shoes, my knee length compression socks, my Skins shorts and a racing singlet.We started at 9.30 exactly. I had decided not to wear my mp3 player, a decision which I regretted later. I had also decided not to wear my white cap, which, in the end, was another error.The first time I had run this race I had chatted to 2 people on the road which both served to keep my HR down and ease the pain. This time I was doing a 9.30-30 run walk. The race was a much more solitary experience because of it. I believe that I can run faster with the run walk but I’m not sure it was worth it.My plan for the race was to try to keep to a 8 min pace for as long as possible. My hope was that I could bring it home in 1 hr 45 mins. This would mean 8 min pace from start to finish.As the race started everything was going to plan.1st mile in 7.50 AHR was a bit high at 153 but I had my walk break to come.2nd mile in 7.51 AHR was also high at 158 but my concentration was on the pace and not my HR. Another mistake – I will not do this for the marathon!Miles 3 through 10 were perfectly on pace. The first 10 miles were completed in exactly 80 mins, a new record for me for this distance! My HR had breached the 160 level after just 5 miles though. Looking back now to last year’s race, I had completed the same 10 miles in a time of 1 hr 29 mins and 54 sec, so a PB for the race was definitely on the cards.After having a problem, at the start of mile 11, with my watch I combined the resetting of it with a walk break. This one lasted just under a minute, longer than required but needed as I was feeling pretty tired. Mile 11 was completed in 9.12 including the walk-break. Mile 12 was completed in 8.45 including a 40 sec walk break. As I approached the hill during mile 13, I was finding it pretty hard to keep everything together. I started my favorite phase of the race – the rabbit chase! Looking up I saw the least fit / most tired looking runner in front of me and tried to push to catch them. Normally I feel like I am pressing the “NITRO” button which helps me find the last dregs of energy in my legs. This time there was nothing there. I tried again still nothing there. Now I was running down the other side of the hill. Still there was nothing, I was hanging on for dear life! As I cruised to the line I was passed by a runner who had been behind me for 5 miles. I had failed. That’s how it felt and that’s how it still feels.Not a very positive run for me, lots of lessons to learn. Everything from needing to reduce the risk of suffering with the heat to considering some entertainment on the route.On reflection I ran a PB for the distance of 1 hr 47 min and 48 sec. I broke my PB for the race by 8 mins and 30 sec. I easily ran the 8 min 23 sec pace that my marathon training plan asked for but I set a target and I failed to achieve it. Next time will be different………………………… be continued ;)The Chester Marathon takes p[...]

Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville - April 24, 2010


(Connie, "OH Cowgirl") The drive to Nashville started about 8am on Friday. Except for the rain, the trip down was uneventful. Luckily hubby is very organized and we were able to make the packet pickup at the Nashville Convention Center by about 4pm. I was dreading that but it was so organized that it took us less than 10 minutes. What was great was the group of high school girls cheering for the runners who were making their way to the packet pick up points. The T-shirt is nice. I saw a lot of people already wearing theirs so I already knew what they looked like before we got to that table. Again, everything was so organized it took no time at all to pick up the T’s and the goodie bag. We headed into the Expo, buying another T-shirt and a magnet from the Brooks section. I think the thing that amazed me the most was the amounts of money changing hands everywhere we went. We left the Brooks section and attempted to walk around the Expo but being exhausted from the drive we only lasted about an hour before heading for our hotel. I had a couple pieces of cheese pizza for dinner, hydrated well and was in bed by 10. Sadly, sleep was elusive but I knew it would be. I was really nervous. I get lost so easily and I’m really not good in crowds…but I wanted to run this race. We were up at 3:30 and on our way by 5. We were only 8 minutes away from the parking so figured we’d get there in time. Traffic was horrendous- dumping us near the parking at the Tennessee Titan Stadium just before the race was to start. I still had to catch a shuttle to get to the starting line. By the time we got there all the corrals had started and I was at the rear even behind the walkers. (OK…I have 2 gripes I’ll insert here. 1. Porta-potties – OMG…I KNOW runners aren’t pigs but you wouldn’t know that from the bathrooms. They were disgusting. I have never seen anything so disgusting in my life. 2. Walkers- Please, please, please move to the sides…right or left or both is fine…just allow the runners to get through. (This is not to the ones in the rear…but the ones further up in the race…and the Galloway walkers. Don’t just stop and start walking with no warning when there are runners all around.) Hubby said I was very last to start but that I was near the middle within the first couple miles. The music was good and loud but couldn’t drown out the cheering of the spectators along the route. Even though my times don’t show it, I felt strong, even on the hills until about Mile 8. I decided to test another Porta-pottie and it took almost 10 minutes to get back on the road. I again had to fight my way through the walkers. My end time was 2:45 and some change which was terrible as far as I was concerned but I think I know where part of the problem was (I mean besides hills and walkers). My Nike Plus is off. It read 16+ miles at the end of the race. (So my next purchase (or gift request) will be a much more accurate device like a Garmin.) I also need to mention the weather. It was hot and humid. We had been watching the weather report and the Nashville Race site for 2 days…expecting the Race Directors to cancel the race. What they did was divert the Marathoners with times over 4 hours to finish on the half course. I know they were disappointed but it was the right thing to do as the storm hit within moments of me finishing the race and picking up my medal. It became a terrible storm within minutes. So, though my time was much slower than I was expecting, I learned a lot. I’m sure it would have been better if I’d had someone physically running at my side and I did have a personal podcast from a dear friend, AirForce Ted from You Don’t Have To Run Alone (and his beautiful daughters) playing in my ear almost the entire way. It helped so much. My thanks go to Matt (The CrazyRunner) for the opportunity to run this race, to Ted (You Don’t Have To Run Alone) for running in my ear most of the way, to my hubby who was[...]

Twin Piers 10k – Saturday 23rd January 2010 1pm


(From David in the UK) “It’s a beautiful day, don’t let it get away……..” U2 Saturday 23rd January contained more joy for me than I have felt in quite a while. Don’t get me wrong I feel the luckiest man in the world to have a wonderful wife and 5 fantastic kids. I have a great life which brings me great joy, but once in a while joy can surprise you. I am a person who, when confronted by a busy day, turns to lists in order to ensure things get done. The list for Saturday 23rd included registering for my youngest child’s race, running the race, transporting some of the other kids into town, getting to my race, running the race and getting back home in time to make lunch for everyone. The afternoon was pretty quite. The first race of the day was my youngest daughter’s. After some messing about we got to the registration area with 5 mins to spare. She was very excited. As we approached the start area, of the 3k race, I had a minor feeling of concern. My daughter likes pink. Anything pink. So, not surprisingly she dressed, as she does normally from head to toe in pink! At one point she had intended to wear a pink wig she has for dressing up but eventually she decided to leave it off as it “might make me sweat too much!” Her liking for pink would not normally have been an issue but as we looked around the start area for the race all the other kids were dressed in “proper” running gear. The only non-black non-lycra item I could see was an orange strap being worn by one of the smallest kids. She could have felt intimidated, and in a way I’m sure she felt a little uncomfortable as she lined up but she really did me proud. As the race started most of the kids went off like crazy. My daughter, not hard to spot in the group tried valiantly to keep up. After 500 metres it was clear she was lagging a little behind as she disappeared off into the distance. In the following 15 mins everyone completed the course except for my daughter. Looking up the course I could see a small pink dot. As I walked towards the dot, it was clear that my daughter was on her way back. The nearer I got to her it was clear she was still running. She crossed the line in 23.01 mins knocking 10 mins off her PB for the distance. I was without doubt the proudest parent on the line. It was only when we returned to the house that I discovered the age limit on the race was 11-16. She weighs in at 9 years and 3 months. After the race she couldn’t stop talking about it. She can’t wait for the next race.. I think the bug has bitten her  -------------------------------------------------------------------- My race started with a 5 min warm-up as I looked for my friends. I had been training pretty hard for the previous 8 weeks so my expectations were high. The weather was perfect, almost no wind and 5C. The course follows the coastal road from Llandudno Pier to Colwyn Bay Pier. The first 2k run is flat, followed by a 1k assent up 300ft, then a sharp decent followed by a slow drop down to below sea level! A level section is followed by a small rise and finally a 4km slight decent to the finish. The conditions were great, the scenery was beautiful and my training had been good. My target was sub-48 mins. The year before I had done this race as my first race after just 22 days of training during which I had done a mere 44 miles of running! Now, 1 year later I had 1348 miles under my feet and real hopes of knocking 7 mins off my 10k PB. It was time to see how well the Runners World training plan I had used would serve me.1pm Llandudno Pier We were OFF – 1st mile in 7.25 just trying to get into a rhythm. One of the training tools I’d used was the Dean Karnazez running tempo workout I’d bought from Carmichael Training Systems website. I’d used this once a week for the last 6 weeks and it helped me achieve a good early running stride. Trying to keep my HR down as th[...]

2009 Conwy Half Marathon, Sunday November 8th 2009 (David of the UK)


My training for this race had not been ideal. I had had a head cold for the previous 2 weeks and though this didn’t cause a complete stop to my training it had caused me to reduce my mileage below 30 miles per week. In addition to this I had suffered with a sore big toe joint on my left foot. I’m not sure if this is down to general overuse or more specifically down to the Mazuno Wave Creation shoes I was wearing. Anyway, as I approached the Conwy Half marathon I felt 90% ready. I had run the Friday before, maybe a little too hard, and felt very good.The course takes a beautiful route down along the Conwy estuary up round the Great Orme and back down beside the river, finishing at the foot of Conwy Castle. This means 3.5 miles of flat ground, 3 miles of assent followed by 3 miles of descent and back to the 3.5 miles of level ground. My only major concern as I considered the race was nutrition and hydration. I had run the Anglesey Half with a gel flask and 1 bottle of water. This had worked perfectly. Not too much weight and, with all the drinks stations, I was able to supplement my gels with sports drink and water. This race was different. There was 1 drinks station sited at 3.5 miles on the out and the same location which was after 9 miles on the return. For this reason I took 2 water bottles with me to go with my gels.The morning of the race was beautiful. The weather had broken after several days of rain and though heavy showers were forecast the wind was not a problem. If anything, as will become clear, the weather was a little too good!I got a lift to the race with some friends and toed the line at 12.15pm after having previously taken my SportsLegs an hour before.My 10min/1min run-walk was not seriously hindered by the severe congestion at the start of the race.Mile 1 in 8.00 minI tried with no success to explain my run/walk strategy to all the people encouraging me to keep running, ah well. Felt fine HR in the 140 range everything going well.Mile 2 in 8.20Again everything fine but slowed by some congestion. Note to self – I must get nearer the front of the group next year. Took a sip of gel and water.Mile 3 in 8.30Sand under feet not helping and still lots of people around. There were 800 people in the race!Felt fine but HR rising a little Average 151.Mile 4 in 8.30The upward section begins. HR is starting to rise but not too much – more gel and water bottle filled at drinks station.Mile 5 in 8.27Keeping speed up really well, just about to hit the Orme, going past lots of people. Another sip of gel and water. HR starting to rise averaging 157.Mile 6 in 8.50 First proper uphill section on the Orme. Not feeling as strong as I expected. Starting to get pretty hot with leggings on. AHR 160 – a bit too high.Mile 7 in 9.22I know this is the hard bit but something is not quite right. AHR is 161 and I’m feeling very hot. This is not what I expected – I have done this run 10 times and not felt this bad before.Mile 8 in 9.13Final section of Orme assent – AHR 163 – much too high and feeling pretty wasted. I have run out of water to go with my gels.Mile 9 in 7.34The decent off the Orme was harder than it should have been. I couldn’t keep my cadence up in the 90 area without high HR. AHR 159. Mile 10 in 8.20Tried to fill my water bottles but kept going – I should have stopped and done this properly – here comes the wall! AHR 164!Mile 11 in 8.58I’m starting to feel terrible. No energy having to take more breaks to keep moving. AHR up to 167 – looking back now this is crazy my Max is 175ish! And I’m running on the flat with the wind behind me . Feeling terrible…..Mile 12 in 9.09I’m now down to survival mode – walking every 5 mins – AHR 165 – I’m not going to break 1.50 so now it’s just keeping one foot in front…etc….Mile 13 in 10.01The death march – I was overtaken by 15 people during this mile just couldn’t go any faster….AHR 160 – I[...]

2009 Anglesey Half Marathon Race Report (Report by David in the UK)


Sunday September 20th 2009 'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,' - that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know. The English Romantic poet John Keats wrote these germane words in conclusion to his Ode on a Grecian Urn. I doubt very much whether Keats was a keen runner but if he was he might have seriously considered running the Anglesey Half Marathon. The course was truly beautiful and the run up the final 4 mile climb was truly, truly painful. This is the sort of race you do to really find out who you are. Have you got it? Can you stick with it? Are you, as Steve Runner says, “Army strong”? The day started, not too early, at 6am. I had slept little during the night as this was my A race for the season and I was hoping to crack the 1:50 barrier. My hopes had been hit hard about 2 weeks ago when, after a discussion with a friend and fellow runner, he informed me of the hills and especially the final 4 mile staircase of pain which lay before me. Nevertheless, I still held out the hope of achieving a PB. My training had gone very well with my longest run ever, 15.4 miles being run just 7 days before the race. The only concern I had, other than the course, was a slight twinge, which had appeared over the previous day. The weather, which had been forecast as cool and possibly rainy, was not a major concern. As it turned out the weather cleared at around 9am, half an hour before the race and the temperatures climbed to well over 20C. The journey to Anglesey was uneventful but the scenery was beautiful as usual. Checking in was very simple and the organization was fantastic. The runners were all bused from the finish point to the start of the half marathon. I took my Sportslegs tablets at 8.30am and got on the bus. There was a brief wait at the start but we got underway at 9.36am. I was planning to do a 10min run / 1 min walk system on this race. I have heard very good thing about this system and in recent runs I have used it to very good effect, reducing my 8 mile tempo run time by 3 mins. My nutrition plan was to take my 2 bottle Fuelbelt with 1 bottle full of 7 High 5 caffeine gels and the other bottle with plain water. The provision of energy drink, water and sponges on the course was fantastic. Both energy drink and water were provided every 2 miles on the course. I had decided to wear my technical running bib top with my Skins full-length compression tights. I bought the Skins 2 months ago and I have found them to be nothing short of INCREDIBLE when it comes to the longer distances. I would previously have had very sore legs after a 10-mile run but with the Skins this was no longer a problem. The only down side to them is that they are black and can get pretty hot in the sun. As we lined up at 9.35am there were 227 of us. 9.36am – We were off! There were no problems with getting moving as there had been at the Chester Half in May I was into my stride within 30 seconds of the gun going. Trying to take it nice and easy to warm up a little and with no timing mat to cross it was everyone for themselves. There were a few well-wishers along the first 400 metres but after that it was down to a few marshalls at turns and feed stations, this run would be a lot like a training run. I was trying to keep my HR down as much as I could but if you can’t be excited in a race when can you be J Mile 1 in 8.23 Trying to move into the 8.15-8.20 bracket with my pace but still feeling very strong and positive. I was running past large numbers of people but then came the walk break. I didn’t quite manage to walk slowly enough to drop my HR by more than 5 beats. I was just too excited. Then pushed on to try to get into the 8.10 pace. Mile 2 in 8.20 Just on target for the 1.50 overall time. Took a drink of sports drink at the feed station then moved on. This time the walk break was better. I was happy [...]

Great Orme Challenge 2009 - Sunday 19th July (David from the UK)


Preparation, preparation, preparation.The Great Orme is a large lump of rock which lies just to the north of Llandudno in North Wales. It is 200 meters high and about 20% in places so, to any normal person, this would mean some training or preparation would be in order. Oh no, surely not! Well, a lack of preparation made itself very clear during the steeper parts of the race. I arrived at the race with 30mins to go before the start. A nice easy 2 mile warm-up meant I was properly ready for what I thought would be a quick start. The weather had meant that less than 100 people had turned up. So the start line was not hard to see as the starter fired the gun. My first intention was to keep my pace in the sub 8min area for the flat section as the climbing, 200ft, starts after about half a mile. I completed the first mile in 8.15min with and average HR of 154, just into my anaerobic zone. With my heart condition, HR is more of a limiting factor than muscular strength. The second mile begins with a quarter mile of level ground before the switchbacks which take you up 300ft to Tudno Church, normally a sight I would be delighted to see but on this occasion the knowledge of the remaining hills is all too pressing. During this time my HR rose to 166 which is only 5 beats off my absolute max so I decided to walk the drinks zone for 30 seconds. HR down below 160 and I was off again. I completed mile 2 in 9.10min at an average HR of 160. I was feeling pretty wasted by this time so as the next hill lay before me I decided to walk again, this time for 2 mins, this kept my HR down to under 160 and by the end I was feeling much stronger. As I rounded the corner I was confronted with the 20% section of the race. Again I decided to walk through the worst of it to keep my HR under control. As I turned the final right hand corner, which leads to the summit, I had just under half a mile to go. I was now trying to keep my HR below 165 as this final section rises 300 ft and I could hear people running up behind me. I just kept my head down and went for a final push. As I turned the final bend I could see the finish line about 600m ahead of me. Time for my final sprint. I upped my pace back to sub 8min but completed the final 1.2miles at an average of just under 10min pace. I stopped my forerunner at 29min 20sec. I don’t think my race time can be any more than this. Looking at my watch I had hit a HR of 171 on 3 occasions during the final mile. I was on the brink of falling over as I crossed the line but tried to maintain face as my friend Richard approached offering his support. He had completed the run in around 24 mins, he is a sub 40min 10k runner, and is always there to welcome me home J One day I may welcome him home ;) but not quite yet. Anyway, a great race. A race that I should have prepared for, a race I didn’t prepare for – but fun anyway! Next is the Anglesey Half Marathon – bring it on!!!! David[...]