Subscribe: Seattle Post-Intelligencer: Canada
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/rss/apcanada.rss
Added By: Feedage Forager Feedage Grade B rated
Language: English
Tags:
call  canada  canadian  charged  deaths  man  north  oil  people  pipeline  police  quebec  toronto —  toronto  train  year   
Rate this Feed
Rate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feed
Rate this feed 1 starRate this feed 2 starRate this feed 3 starRate this feed 4 starRate this feed 5 star

Comments (0)

Feed Details and Statistics Feed Statistics
Preview: Seattle Post-Intelligencer: Canada

seattlepi.com: Canada News from the Associated Press





 



Deaths of Canadian billionaire, wife a tantalizing mystery

Mon, 22 Jan 2018 05:04:42 UT

TORONTO (AP) — There were no signs of forced entry on the cold December morning when a Canadian billionaire businessman and his wife were found dead inside their mansion, reportedly hanging from a railing at the edge of their indoor pool. Since that time, investigators have scoured the 12,000-square-foot home, hauled away the couple's cars and even checked the sewers in one of Toronto's most exclusive neighborhoods for clues. But police haven't made any arrests or announced a search for any suspects nor have they said practically anything publicly about the deaths of drug company founder Barry Sherman and his wife, Honey. Sherman was a fiercely competitive businessman, once musing that a rival might want to kill him.



Not guilty verdict reached in Quebec train disaster trial

Fri, 19 Jan 2018 20:53:49 UT

SHERBROOKE, Quebec (AP) — Three men charged in a criminal negligence trial stemming from a 2013 derailment that killed 47 people in the Canadian province of Quebec have all been found not guilty. The jury of eight men and four women reached the verdict Friday after nine days of deliberations. A runaway train carrying crude oil from North Dakota derailed in Lac-Megantic, Quebec and exploded on July 6, 2013, levelling much of the downtown. Engineer Tom Harding and former colleagues Richard Labrie and Jean Demaitre each faced one count of criminal negligence causing the death of 47 people. They pleaded not guilty. Labrie was the traffic controller and Demaitre was the manager of train operations.



Toronto police arrest man for 2 deaths, say might be more

Thu, 18 Jan 2018 23:18:43 UT

TORONTO (AP) — Months after dismissing fears about a potential serial killer prowling Toronto's gay village, police said they arrested a man Thursday who they allege is responsible for the presumed deaths of at least two men who disappeared from the neighborhood. Bruce McArthur, a 66-year-old Toronto landscaper, was charged with first-degree murder in the presumed deaths of Selim Esen and Andrew Kinsman, both reported missing from the Church and Wellesley streets area at separate times last year, police said. "We believe he is responsible for the deaths of Mr. Esen and Mr. Kinsman, and we believe he is responsible for the deaths of other men who have yet to be identified," Toronto Det. Sgt. Hank Idsinga said.



Amazon sweepstakes is narrowed down to 20 competitors

Thu, 18 Jan 2018 21:33:30 UT

NEW YORK (AP) — Amazon's second home could be in an already tech-heavy city, such as Boston, New York or Austin, Texas. Or it could be in the Midwest, say, Indianapolis or Columbus, Ohio. Or the company could go outside the U.S. altogether and set up shop in Toronto. Those six locations, as well as 14 others, made it onto Amazon's not-so-short shortlist Thursday of places under consideration for the online retailing giant's second headquarters. The 20 picks, narrowed down from 238 proposals, are concentrated mostly in the East and the Midwest and include several of the biggest metro areas in the country, such as Chicago, Washington and Los Angeles, the only West Coast city on the list.



Developer proceeding with long-delayed Keystone XL pipeline

Thu, 18 Jan 2018 20:50:20 UT

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — The developer of the Keystone XL pipeline announced Thursday that it hopes to begin construction next year on an alternative route approved by Nebraska authorities, despite a lawsuit challenging the project. TransCanada Corp. said in a news release that it plans to move ahead after securing enough 20-year commitments from oil companies to ship approximately 500,000 barrels per day through the pipeline. Opponents note that the commitments are well below the pipeline's 830,000-barrel capacity. The company previously said it needed time to evaluate the commission's decision and line up potential customers.



The Latest: Keystone XL route still uncertain in Nebraska

Thu, 18 Jan 2018 17:02:28 UT

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — The Latest on the announcement that TransCanada Corp. will proceed with its plans for the Keystone XL pipeline (all times local): 10:55 a.m. The Keystone XL pipeline still faces an uncertain future in Nebraska despite the developer's announcement that it will proceed with the project. TransCanada Corp.'s decision follows a 3-2 vote by the Nebraska Public Service Commission to approve a pipeline route through the state, but not the one the company preferred. The company said after the decision it needed time to evaluate the decision and line up potential customers.



Tillerson warns military action on NK unless diplomacy works

Wed, 17 Jan 2018 03:26:49 UT

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — Secretary of State Rex Tillerson warned Tuesday that if North Korea does not choose to negotiate on giving up its nuclear weapons that pose a growing threat to the United States it could trigger a military response. After a meeting of U.S. allies on how to beef up the sanctions pressure, Tillerson stressed that the Trump administration seeks a diplomatic resolution in the nuclear standoff, but he said the North has yet to show itself to be a "credible negotiating partner." He said U.S.-North Korea talks would require a "sustained cessation" of threatening behavior.



The Latest: Tillerson says US seeks diplomacy with NKorea

Wed, 17 Jan 2018 02:21:16 UT

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — The Latest on U.S. allies from the Korean War discussing the nuclear threat from North Korea (all times local): 6:15 p.m. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says the U.S. seeks a diplomatic resolution in the nuclear standoff with North Korea, but he's declining to comment on whether the White House is considering limited military action against Pyongyang. Tillerson was responding to reports that some in the Trump administration advocate military action to give the North a "bloody nose." He was addressing a news conference in Vancouver Tuesday after a meeting of U.S. allies.



Judge urges verdicts in Quebec oil train disaster case

Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:12:35 UT

SHERBROOKE, Quebec (AP) — A judge is urging jurors in a criminal negligence trial stemming from a 2013 derailment that killed 47 people in Quebec to try once more to reach unanimous verdicts after they told him they had come to an impasse. Quebec Superior Court Justice Gaetan Dumas told the eight men and four women Tuesday that failing to reach verdicts for the three defendants will not reflect badly on them, provided they "made an honest effort." It is the sixth day of deliberations. A runaway train carrying crude oil from North Dakota derailed in Lac-Megantic and exploded on July 6, 2013.



Illinois man awarded Carnegie Medal for thwarting attack

Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:02:53 UT

PEORIA, Ill. (AP) — A central Illinois man has received the Carnegie Medal for thwarting an attack by a knife-wielding man at a chess club session for children. James Vernon was awarded the medal on Monday by Rep. Darin LaHood, an Illinois Republican. The honor is given to someone from the U.S. or Canada who risks their life while saving or attempting to save the lives of others, the Peoria Journal Star reported . The Army veteran was 75 when he fought off the 19-year-old man trying to attack people at Morton Public Library in 2015.



Toronto police say hijab-cutting incident didn't happen

Tue, 16 Jan 2018 02:54:42 UT

TORONTO (AP) — Police are disputing an 11-year-old girl's claim that her hijab was cut by a scissors-wielding man as she walked to school last week. Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash said Monday an extensive investigation was conducted and police concluded it did not happen. The sixth-grader, her mother and her younger brother held a news conference at Pauline Johnson Junior Public School on Friday to air the allegation. The girl, Khawlah Noman, said she was walking to school with her younger brother when a man came up behind her, pulled off her jacket hood and started cutting the bottom of her hijab. She said she turned around, screamed and the man ran away.



Suspect in Wichita hoax call expresses remorse for death

Mon, 15 Jan 2018 19:16:16 UT

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A California man accused of making a hoax emergency call that resulted in the fatal police shooting of an unarmed Kansas man said he regrets that someone died but evaded questions about whether he made the call that caused the shooting. Tyler Barriss 25, is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the Dec. 28 death of Andrew Finch, 28, who was shot by police after officers went to a Wichita home in response to what turned out to be a fake report about a shooting and kidnapping. During interviews with KWCH-TV on Friday and Sunday, Barriss said he was sorry a person died and said he was willing to accept whatever punishment he receives.



Brother of US man killed fighting for ISIS sentenced

Sat, 13 Jan 2018 00:43:51 UT

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The brother of a San Diego man believed to be the first American citizen killed while fighting alongside the Islamic State in Syria has been sentenced to 10 years in prison on terrorism-related charges. Marchello Dsaun McCain, 35, was sentenced Friday in federal court in San Diego for illegal possession of a cache of firearms and body armor and making false statements to federal agents about international terrorism. McCain is the brother of 33-year-old Douglas McCain who was killed in 2014.



Maine shed blown to Canada by blizzard being saved, returned

Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:32:20 UT

LUBEC, Maine (AP) — A historic Maine fishing industry shed that was dislodged from its pilings and set adrift by a blizzard and wound up in Canada is being saved. The Bangor Daily News reports a Canadian contractor and an American contractor will remove the shed's remains from New Brunswick's Campobello Island in the coming week and return it to its original site off Lubec, Maine. The landmark shed is on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. It's among five buildings known as McCurdy's Smokehouse that comprise the last traditional smoked-herring facility in the U.S. Lubec Landmarks is trying to transform the buildings into a living museum to tell the story of the fishing industry and Down East Maine.



Jurors begin deliberations in Quebec oil train disaster

Thu, 11 Jan 2018 22:43:30 UT

SHERBROOKE, Quebec (AP) — Jury deliberations began Thursday in the trial of three men charged with criminal negligence causing death for a 2013 train derailment that killed 47 people in Quebec. Train engineer Tom Harding, traffic controller Richard Labrie and train operations manager Jean Demaitre are charged in connection with the accident in which a runaway train carrying crude oil derailed and exploded. They pleaded not guilty. The prosecution contends Harding failed to perform a proper brake test and didn't apply enough handbrakes after he parked the 73-car oil train late on the night of July 5, 2013.



Canada not pulling its Cuba diplomats over mystery illnesses

Thu, 11 Jan 2018 04:45:52 UT

OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) — Canada has no plans to remove diplomats from Cuba though at least eight people connected to its embassy appear to have had symptoms of a potential illness at the center of a rift in U.S.-Cuba relations, a senior government official said Wednesday. The official said the eight were among 27 people screened following U.S. reports that two dozen American officials and family members in Havana had a range of unexplained symptoms that included nausea, dizziness, headaches and nosebleeds. The official, who briefed reporters on condition of not being quoted by name, said the eight required follow-up treatment but no hospitalization and there was no reason to close the embassy in Havana.



Canada launches trade complaint against US over duties

Thu, 11 Jan 2018 04:22:08 UT

TORONTO (AP) — Canada has launched a wide ranging attack on U.S. trade practices with an international complaint over Washington's use of punitive duties. The U.S. called it ill-advised. The complaint, which was filed last month but not released until Wednesday, ramps up tensions amid talks on renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement by the three member countries — the U.S., Canada and Mexico. A senior government official said Canada is under no illusion that there is a risk President Trump might pull the U.S. out of the trade agreement, while another senior official said the government is prepared for that possibility while not being certain it will happen.



Fatal Kansas swatting call suspect accused of Canadian call

Wed, 10 Jan 2018 18:59:26 UT

CALGARY, Alberta (AP) — A Los Angeles man accused of making a hoax emergency call that led to the fatal police shooting of a Kansas man is charged with making a similar call in Canada days earlier. Police in Calgary said in a news release that warrants have been issued for Tyler Barriss, 25, who is charged with public mischief, fraud and mischief. He's accused of calling authorities on Dec. 22 and claiming that he had shot his father and was holding his mother and younger brother hostage, the release said.



Hearing delayed for Canadian ex-hostage Boyle

Mon, 8 Jan 2018 15:44:17 UT

OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) — Canadian ex-hostage Joshua Boyle's case has been put off until next Monday while his lawyers work on a bail plan. Boyle made brief court appearance via video link Monday. He is facing 15 charges, including sexual assault, following his release from captivity in Afghanistan. Boyle had a beard and wore an orange jumpsuit. He'll remain behind bars while his lawyers prepare a bail application. Boyle, his wife Caitlan and their three children were freed in October in Pakistan, five years after the couple was abducted by a Taliban-linked militant group during a trip in neighboring Afghanistan. The children were born in captivity. The purported acts allegedly occurred between Oct. 14 and Dec.



2 planes collide on the ground at Toronto's airport

Sat, 6 Jan 2018 04:18:57 UT

TORONTO (AP) — Passengers were forced to evacuate via emergency slides in the frigid cold on Friday night after two planes collided on the ground at Toronto's Pearson International Airport. No injuries have been reported. WestJet said an inbound from Cancun, Mexico with 168 passengers and a crew of six was stationary and waiting to go to a gate when it was struck by a Sunwing aircraft moving back from a gate. Video footage from the Westjet plane shows flames on the wing of the Sunwing plane. Passengers are heard screaming. Spokeswoman Lauren Stewart said the WestJet passengers were evacuated from the aircraft via emergency slides and all were safely in the terminal and clearing customs shortly after the collision.