Subscribe: Overdue Ideas
Added By: Feedage Forager Feedage Grade B rated
Language: English
data part  file  fixing problem  marc data  marc records  marc  marcedit  openrefine  part –  problem marc  worked fixing 
Rate this Feed
Rate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feed
Rate this feed 1 starRate this feed 2 starRate this feed 3 starRate this feed 4 starRate this feed 5 star

Comments (0)

Feed Details and Statistics Feed Statistics
Preview: Overdue Ideas

Overdue Ideas

Ideas linking Libraries, Computing, E-learning, and anything else that springs to mind.

Published: 2017-05-08T14:07:05Z


Writing an extension to add new GREL functions to OpenRefine


I’ve been an enthusiastic user of OpenRefine for a long time and think it is a great tool. However, I sometimes come across things that it doesn’t do, or doesn’t do easily, and end up wishing someone would add some function or other to make my life easier. In theory I’ve always been able to […]

Keeping up to date with ejournal collections using KB+ and IFTTT


KnowledgebasePlus (KB+) is a Jisc service (which I work on) which helps (UK HE) libraries manage their e-resources more efficiently by providing accurate publication, subscription, licence and management information. It has always been possible to keep an eye on how ejournal collections and title lists (called ‘Packages’ in KB+) are changing through the information made public by […]

Introduction to APIs using IIIF


This “Introduction to APIs” was developed by Owen Stephens ( on behalf of the British Library. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License It is suggested when crediting this work, you include the phrase “Developed by Owen Stephens on behalf of the British Library” Purpose of these exercises The purpose of this […]

A worked example of fixing problem MARC data: Part 5 – OpenRefine and MarcEdit redux


This is the fifth and last post in a series of 5. In Part 4 I described how I used OpenRefine to fix issues with MARC records. In this fifth and final blog post in this series I’m going to cover exporting the mnemonic MARC records from OpenRefine and back to MarcEdit to produce a file of valid MARC […]

A worked example of fixing problem MARC data: Part 4 – OpenRefine


This is the fourth post in a series of 5. In Part 3 I describe how converted the MARC records into the ‘mnemonic’ format using MarcEdit, and also created a list of issues with the file using the MarcEdit Marc Validator. In this post I’m going to describe how I used OpenRefine to investigate and fix the issues in the […]

A worked example of fixing problem MARC data: Part 3 – MarcEdit


This is the third post in a series of 5. In Part 2 I describe how I used a text editor to get a malformed file to the point where it could be read as a MARC file by MarcEdit. I knew that there would still be many issues in the file at this point, because I’d spotted them in […]

A worked example of fixing problem MARC data: Part 2 – Text editor


This is the second post in a series of 5. As described in Part 1 – I had 50K MARC records in a file, but due to the use of incorrect ‘delimiter’ and ‘record terminator’ characters the file wasn’t recognised as MARC by standard tools such as MarcEdit. My first job was to correct the file to […]

A worked example of fixing problem MARC data: Part 1 – The Problem


In what will eventually be a series of 5 posts (I think) I’m going to walk through a real life example of some problematic MARC records I’ve been working with using a combination of three tools (the Notepad++ text editor, MarcEdit and OpenRefine). I want to document this process partly because I hope it will be useful to others […]

Using Google Sheets with ESTC


I’ve done a lot of work with early English texts (and especially the related medata) over the past few years as part of my work on the Jisc ‘Historical Texts‘ platform which brings together texts from Early English Books Online (EEBO), Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO) and a collection of digitised 19th Century books from […]

What it means to be Open


I originally started to write this post in reaction to a thread on the BIBFRAME email list in March 2015 entitled “Linked Data”. In reaction to this thread I wanted to write something on what I saw as the potential for Linked Data in libraries, which I felt went beyond the issues generally brought up […]