Preview: Yarn for Kalei
Yarn for Kalei
Adventures in crafting...my obsession with yarn, beads, and scrapbooking.
1. Who was Tom Riddle Sr.'s girlfriend before Merope gave him the love potion?
2. What does Luna say floated into Harry's ear when he was in the train car that supposedly caused him to lose focus?
3. How much do the primary Apparition lessons cost?
d. 12 galleons
4. What is Professor Merrythought's first name?
5. What Hogwarts club was Eileen Prince captain of?
b. Gobstones Club
6. Who is head of the Goblin Liaison office?
b. Dirk Cresswell
7. Mrs. Weasley offers Fleur a goblin-made tiara for the wedding with Bill. What family member is currently in possession of the tiara?
a. Aunt Muriel
8. How many points does Snape take from Gryffindor for Harry's late arrival and muggle attire?
9. When Profressory Slughorn first meets Hermione, he asks her whether she is related to Hector Dagworth-Granger. What society did Dgworth-Granger found?
d. The Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers
10. Which of these describes Golpalott's Third Law?
d. The antidote for a blended poison will be equal to more than the sum of the antidotes for each of the separtea components
Best Pal Ever!
I was so lucky! I had the amazing and talented Lavender Ackerly
as my swap partner. Look at this totally cool package. I have the Gryffindor yarn bag with matching needles case, yarn in Gryffindor colors, needles, halloween goodies, Harry Potter book mark and pumpkin spice candles. Yum! They smell so good. Plus, she got me the 1st book that True Blood is based on and I can't wait to read it. And some of the softest, silkiest yarn. Panda Silk and Gryffindor (and USC-Go Trojans!) colors.
Lava - You are the best! I have really enjoyed having you as a partner. Thank you so much!
I am almost finished with my spoilees package. I hope that she will love it as much as I love my package from Lava.
I'm off to the USC football game at Stanford. So I will post my Quidditch answers tonight. I just wanted to be able to post pics of my package since I finally found my camera.
A bittersweet week...
Oh well...I lost my duel to the talented Ophelia Crookshanks. I love the hat she made me. Very cute. I am almost finished with her hat, so I will try to send it out soon.
But - I also received my package from the fabulous Lavender Ackerly. She spoiled me rotten. I need to find my camera so I can post pics. She really outdid herself. I am so lucky!
I will do a more in depth posting later this week with pictures.
Gryffindor House Assignment #4
1. Name your favorite magical creature, and describe why it is your favorite.My favorite magical creatures are fairies, closely followed by dragons. I have always loved fairies. In fact, I couldn't wait to turn 18 so that I could go and get my fairy tattoo. And not to give away my age, but this was WAY before tattoos were mainstream. (LOL) I have also always liked dragons and then it was fate that my husband's (who is Cantonese) last name means dragon when you translate it from Cantonese to English. How cool is that?
2. Tell us your favorite charm, spell or curse, and explain why you like it.My original favorite spell is lumos. I just think it sounds so cool and it was one of my favorite spells to cast on the original Harry Potter video game. BUT since then I have to say if I could pick any spell to be able to do, it would be Episkey, which repairs harm to a person. I am extremely accident prone and frequently get hurt. It would be so amazing if I could just cast a spell and fix everything back up again. It would save me a ton of time at the emergency room. :0)
3. Describe your favorite holiday family tradition - which holiday and what makes it special.My favorite holiday tradition is to go with my family and pick out our Christmas tree. We usually go the weekend after Thanksgiving. I grew up in Hawaii and getting a Christmas tree was such a huge thing because we don't really have too many evergreen type trees there. We always got it as soon as we could and kept it until we had to take it down because it was about to become a fire hazard. I have continued that with my hubby and kids and they love it too. I just love the smell and the festive atmosphere that it gives the entire house.
4. Name your favorite fiber-based (knitted, crocheted, or spun) finished object.I think my favorite finished object was a pair of hand painted, merino, self-striping socks in the Ravenclaw colorway that I made for my swap partner in different Harry Potter sock swap. They just came out fabulously. Boring old stockinette, but it really is the best pattern for striping socks because it shows off the colors beautifully.
Gryffindor Assignment #3
"OFXMWPOZCP DLJD APZAWP QTYO TE QLC PLDTPC EZ QZCRTGP ZESPCD QZC MPTYR HCZYR ESLY MPTYR CTRSE." SPCXTZYP RCLYRPC"Dumbledore says people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right. "
Bonus 1: Who became scarred and developed a taste for raw meat in Chapter 29 of HBP?Bill Weasley
Bonus 2: Who developed an antidote for a birthday present in Chapter 18 of HBP?Professor Slughorn
Duel Round 2 Update
Yey, I won!! I moved on to the next round, so there is at least hope for Gryffindor for one more round.
I am so happy. Olive really likes her hat and I am glad.
Quidditch Round 2
1. What animal does the portrait in the Muggle Prime Minster’s office resemble? b. Frog
2. What drink does Romilda Vane try to give Harry? a. Gillywater
3. What is the name of the person who heads the Holyhead Harpies? b. Gwenog Jones
4. How many ‘Exceeds Expectation’ grades does Harry receive in his O.W.L’s? c. 5
5. What is Professor Slughorn’s favorite candy? d. Crystallized Pineapple
6. What tattoo is Harry reported to have on his chest? c. Hippogriff
7. What color robes do the staff at the Weasley’s shop wear? b. Magenta
8. What is the man outside Flourish and Blotts selling? a. Amulets
9. How much is the skull, which Hermione enquires about at Borgin and Burkes, worth? c. 16 Galleons
10. What are Professor Slughorn’s initials? b. H.E.F.
Gryffindor Assignment #2
1. At what are Hogwarts students allowed to swear loudly if smoovenu attenuclea attempts to strangle them? Venomous Tentaculae
2. An animal form protector charm is a stuproan. Patronus
3. Who is the potions master in HBP? Choare Gushroln Horace Slughorn
4. What is Aragog? A troaclanuam A Acromantula
5. Who is imperiused and cursed by a necklace in HBP? Itkea Lebl Katie Bell
6. What does Harry destroy in HBP? choxerrous Horcruxes
7. Draught of living death is comprised of ? (list the four components)asphodel, infusion of wormwood, valerian roots, sopophorous bean
8. What potion can reverse the draught of living death? dweliggnew Wiggenweld
Bonus: Who is R. A. B.? Regulus Arcturus Black
I made it through the first duel! Although it was a bit by default because my partner dropped out of the swap. She and I are still swapping the hats that we made. I actually ended up making 2 of them anyway.
I am hoping that I will be able get started on my hat for this next duel this weekend. Hopefully, I can pull out a win because I think I am the last hope for a Gryffindor winner in the knitted hat category.
Wish me luck fellow Gryffindors!
Hogsmead and Homework
I have been so busy with my work that I haven't been able to post my scrolls until today. (image) (image)
Unfortunately, I am too busy today to go to Hogsmeade. (Darn, Professor Snape and his extra long essay assignments) But if I was able to go I would definitely have stopped in to Zonko's to get some gag gifts, Honeyduke's for some sweets and the Three Broomsticks to cap off the day with some warm butterbeer! YUM! Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to catch up on my work and go on the next trip.
It's time for a Gryffindor house quiz! There are a few here on fellow Gryffindor students (answers on their blogs), a couple about you, and a few about this term (Half Blood Prince). Here are the questions:
What yarn shop did Henry Longstaff shop at for yarn?
Who is the HSKS6 SPEW coordinator?
Which Gryff student just returned from London?
Lady Felula the Forgetful
Which Gryffindor has cats named after the muggle rock band, The Ramones?
What is your favorite childhood television program (Magic or Muggle)?
Too many to count...Cartoons - Thundercats/Dungeons and Dragons
Live - Electric Company/Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
Puppets - Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas and Fraggle Rock
I'm dating myself aren't I? LOL!
What is your favorite adult television program (Magic or Muggle)?
Right now True Blood Fave standbys - Grey's/CSI/Bones/Medium/Criminal Minds Did I mention I love TV. I don't sleep and spend an enormous amount of my nights reading, watching TV and knitting
Which travel destination did you last visit?
Tofino on Vancouver Island. It was incredible.
What was your last finished object (FO)?
Grey and Blue striped socks
How many project(s) planned for holiday gifts? How many do you expect to actually finish and give?
Maybe 5 planned and if I'm lucky I will finish 3 of them.
Who is the mother of Half Blood Prince?
Which Weasley became engaged in Book 6 (Half Blood Prince)?
Bill Weasley to Fleur
What is the result of a Sectumsempra curse?
Cuts the target. If it is used to sever a part of the body off, that part cannot be regrown by magic
Who used a Bezoar to reverse poisoning?
Harry on Ron when he was poisoned
My boys helped me find a meez that at least sort of resembled me. Thanks boys! I had to post this because I have the coolest Penny Pingleton hair (in my own color) and my very own cat. He is orange just like my kitty Hobbes.
1. At the beginning of the book, Cornelius Fudge is talking to the Muggle Prime Minister. Which member of the Order of the Phoenix has recently been found dead?
c. Emmeline Vance
2. What animal does Bellatrix Lestrange kill when she and her sister, Narcissa, are going to see Professor Snape?
3. What time does Professor Dumbledore collect Harry from Privet Drive?
b. 11 p.m.
4. What did Professor Sluhorn transform into when he was trying to hide from Harry and Professor Dumbledore?
a. An armchair
5. What grade did Harry get for Herbology?
a. E – Exceeds Expectation
6. Herbert Chorley, the Prime Minister’s Junior Minster, has been entertaining the public by impersonating which animal?
b. A duck
7. What is Professor Sprout’s first name?
8. What is Dumbledore’s idea of ‘a few words’?
d. nitwit, oddment, blubber and tweak
9. Who is Marcus Belby’s famous uncle?
10. What is Snape’s mother’s name?
b. Eileen Prince
PicturesPost pictures to your blogs or link to the pictures from your blog post.
3 for 1 Narcissa-Snape-Bellatrix
My favorite Professor Dumbledore
Picture Day and 1st round Duels
I put up my picture for Picture Day. I used my avatar because I have to say it looks very much like me (except a bit skinnier). :0)
I'm working on my hat for the 1st round of the duel. We'll see how it goes. I didn't get to do much today because I spent the whole day grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, and getting ready for the week. Being a mom is a lot of work. Very rewarding, but tiring none the less.
Hopefully, my dueling opponent is as busy as I am so I will at least have a fighting chance!
Wish me luck!
HSKS 6 Questionnaire
Potter Name: Angelina Phoenixfire
Rav ID: ur4kalei (I haven't posted anything there yet, I will try to get some things up soon)
I am allergic to: Very alleric to Angora, allergic to Mohair and certain wools irritate my skin (Sorry)
Pets that I have: I have an orange kitty named Hobbes
My favorite yarn: Merino or Merino Superwash sock yarn and cotton/tencel blends
If you are a Ravenclaw, do you prefer the film colors or the book colors? I am not a Ravenclaw, but I like both sets of colors.
My favorite flavor: Caramel, pumpkin spice
My favorite holiday: Halloween all the way!
I would like to receive a: (Sock kit, scarf kit or yarn dyeing kit) Sock or scarf kit
List your favorite brand of needles or hooks, including size and length: Any brand as long as they are wood or bamboo. For socks I like US2 and US3 most often. Any length from 5 inches to 7 inches works well for me.
Is there a brand that you are dying to try?:Nope, as long as the needles aren't metal or plastic
I've participated in HSKS: (How many times have you participated in HSKS swaps?)First time in this swap, but I have been in the Hogwarts Sock Swap twice
Do you have a birthday during this swap? If so which day? Yep, Oct. 24th
That was weird. It seems the pic of my lovely Weasley Twins has taken over my blog.
Please excuse the mess, until I can figure out how to fix it. :0)
My perfect Harry Potter Husband!
I found this quiz on Izzy Whizzy
I love it! The Weasley Twins are definitely my kind of guys.
Your result for The Harry Potter Husband Test...
Mrs. Weasley Twin
Your perfect HP man is Fred and/or George Weasley.
Laughter is important to you. You want a guy who's never boring, who can always put a smile on your face, and who can pull the best of pranks and never get caught. Or possibly two such guys. Because let's face it, they're pretty much a two-fer. You get one, you get both. Even if one of them's only a friend, he'll still be around so much you'll feel like you're married to him, too. Sure, they may not seem like the most mature guys in the world, in a traditional sense, but just ask them about their business plan. When they drive you nuts by relentlessly testing their latest inventions on you, you can console youself with that huge stack of cash and dragon-leather jacket. Besides, you know you're powerless against those stereo smiles.
Take The Harry Potter Husband Test at HelloQuizzy
I made it just in the nick of time! It has been quite awhile since I have had time to do a swap and I am really looking forward to this one! I love Harry Potter and I love sock swaps.
It has been a really long time. I have been sucked into too much work for the past several months because our team was down 2 people and we are just now finally beginning to catch up a little.
I also haven't been knitting as much because of a new addition to our family:
Introducing Hobbes! (Who completely lives up to his name because he is just a lovable rascal kitty)
He has a very bad habit of trying to eat all of my yarn, which the vet says it really dangerous. So after $400 and several really stressful days in the Vet's office a few weeks after we got him, I now have all of my yarn put away. Since then he has been getting really big and is so spoiled. He is the little prince in our house and everyone spoils him rotten. Really though, how could we do anything else? He is so cute!
I love these quizzes!
I don't know why, but I just love taking these quizzes. They are totally irresistible.
I saw this one on Minestrone Soup's Blog
and couldn't resist. As usual, it pegged me. I am a Birkenstock wearing hippie chick!
You Belong in 1965
You are a free spirit with a huge heart. Love, peace, and happiness rule - oh, and drugs too.
Happy Valentines Day!
I saw this on Marisol's Blog
and couldn't resist. I have to say I like what it says about me. :0)
Your Candy Heart Says "Hug Me"
A total sweetheart, you always have a lot of love to give out.
Your heart is open to where ever love takes you!
Your ideal Valentine's Day date: a surprise romantic evening that you've planned out
Your flirting style: lots of listening and talking
What turns you off: fighting and conflict
Why you're hot: you're fearless about falling in love
Third Annual St. Brigid's Silent Poetry Reading
I saw this on Jo's
blog and thought it was perfect timing. My older son was in a performance showcase at his performing arts school and he read his poetry. So in honor of St. Brigid's Silent Poetry reading, I will be showing my son's poem. I think you will all like it. I know that I am very proud of him.
How much is too much?
When you can't even remember when you started.
Or when you had had your fill, long before.
When you tried to stop but couldn't bear to have parted,
Just aching, just yearning, I'll just have one more...
For one cookie becomes five, then ten or even twenty,
Who am I to reject such fine food?
You've had a lot, but a lot is not plenty.
Only one cookie more, so as not to be rude.
You've eaten dozens upon dozens with ease.
So why not another, if you please...
More and more, so hungry, I just can't have one!
Always never enough, yet all necessity is gone.
Spiraling drastically, you start to see what has wrought.
You've been a gluttonous mouse and now you've been caught...
Trembling with fear, at your grim realization,
that you've gorged to the point of immobilization.
Struggling to stand, you regret what you've done.
There's nowhere to go, or to hide, or to run.
Those cookies are mocking, laughing at you, now.
You can't believe this misfortune could befall you. How?
Greed has seduced you with its addicting spell,
Through your unwary actions, to this spell you have fell...
So heed these words that go without fail.
Only take one and you'll always prevail.
You know you might have a problem when.....
You plan for weeks to go on a hiking trip to Joshua tree and 45 mins into the drive you realize that you left your hiking boots, hat, and gloves at home, but have 3 different knitting projects for your 3 day trip just in case you get bored. LOL!
Oh well, we still had a great time even though I was so upset about leaving my boots behind. I LOVE those boots and I don't get to use them as much as I would like, so I jump at every chance I get. I was really looking foward to climbing over the rocks and hiking in the desert in those boots. One of the good things is that I was able to keep up with the kids (my two plus 2 nieces and a nephew) and my hubby. I know that if I hadn't been working out diligently for the past 1 1/2 months there is no way I would have been able to pull myself up those rocks and be able to scramble around with the kids. YEY! I am so bummed though because it is taking a lot longer than I had hoped to take the weight off. But I am definitely losing inches and toning muscle. I am sure that if I just buckled down and cut carbs out it would go a lot faster but I just don't want to do that kind of diet anymore. I know that it works but I just can't maintain it. I am trying to go back to basics and burn more calories than I take in and excersise on a regular basis. It is a lot slower, but hopefully it will be permanent since I am changing my life instead of doing a diet.
Sorry for the long post. No pics, but I will hopefully get some posted.
WOW! Where does the time go???
I know it has been months. But is has been a bit crazy here at my house. With my new job and the boys' rigorous school schedule, things have been really hectic. I have been diligently going to the gym though and that has seriously cut into my knitting and blogging time. Which is good and bad. Good for my health, but not good for my blog or my swaps. I will say that the gym has been paying off. My waist is currently 4 inches less than I was in November so that is something at least. I have to be better at watching my calories though. If I was doing as good at that as I was with my workouts I would be down even more.
I will post pics later of a very late package that I finished at the end of december. I have been knitting quite a bit. I really need to for the stress reduction. I finished a scarf for my younger son who insisted that I didn't love him because I hadn't knitted him his requested red scarf. Of course, he forgot to mention that I have knitted several for him, but he declared that they were all too itchy. :0) He has allergies and I thought that some butter soft alpaca would be good enough, but no way. So I did this one in cotton and it finally didn't itch. It came out quite charming and he really likes it. So it all worked out in the end. I am also almost finished with a blanket for charity (a volunteer program at work) and it has been taking forever. The darn thing is ginormous. I swear that it is going to be big enough for a crib size blanket instead of just a little blanket. Must pay more attention to the gauge and the size dimensions of the pattern before just jumping in and doing the fun part.
I want to try and be better about posting, but I can't promise because life just seems to be crazy for me. At least it is never boring! :0)
I hope that you are all having a wonderful new year. My 2008 bring you lots of happiness, laughter, love, and fantastic knitting!