Subscribe: Happy Texans
Added By: Feedage Forager Feedage Grade B rated
Language: English
back  carb  chuck  day  doctor  don  good  great  happy  low carb  low  much  night  pretty  put  rachel  time  weight 
Rate this Feed
Rate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feed
Rate this feed 1 starRate this feed 2 starRate this feed 3 starRate this feed 4 starRate this feed 5 star

Comments (0)

Feed Details and Statistics Feed Statistics
Preview: Happy Texans

Happy Texans

A place for me to share my adventures in every day life. You'll see everything from races to camping to recipes to ordinary everyday stuff. Thanks for visiting!

Updated: 2018-03-01T15:22:29.571-06:00


Still Alive


This blog at to resume in 3....2.....1.....

I've had a few life changes lately.  I can't think of one that's been easy but some have been harder than others.  Some have left me feeling like I'm drowning but others have given me a drive to live better.

Right now,  I don't have many words to say.  I'm trying to find my balance and grounding again.  I don't want to sound dramatic but some changes are very dramatic for me.

I'll give some further details later and some are just best kept locked inside for me to deal with.  Each is a struggle in its own way but each are difficult.

I'm well.  Or at least I will be well.  My family is well.  That's what matters.

I've had some health issues and some issues of the heart. But all will be fine. I'm sure of it.

I'll be back soon. Thank you for sticking around.

Weight Loss Update and a Couple of EASY, fast Low Carb Dinners


I'm still on the low carb wagon! Yeeha! It's been so much easier this time and I don't know why.  Maybe I've just chilled out about the whole thing and accepted it.  Who knows?  Whatever the reason may be,  I'm happy about it.  Don't go waving a roll in my face though. Chomp!I tested my blood with my handy dandy ketone measuring device and I got a reading of 4.1! Holy fat loss, Batman! I also noticed a surge of energy when the ketones were up.  Coincidence? I think not.  I mean I felt like I was on some kind of high! Happy happy happy! WEIGHT LOSS. When ketones are up,  the weight is down.  Hot damn! I've lost a total of 21 POUNDS now! I set mini 5 pound goals so the next goal is 25 pounds down. I'm looking do forward to surprising my doctor next month! Woohoo!I'll post a typical daily menu soon so you can see what's working for me.  Your mileage may vary and I'm not claiming this is the only way to lose weight.  Just what's working for me. FOOD. You've been busy all day and you don't feel like spending much time in the kitchen. I feel ya.  I really do.  I have some dinners that I call my throw down meals. They take no thought, not much planning, they're cheap, fast, and delicious.The first I present to you is my Throw Down Tuna Macaroni and Cheese Casserole Thing. There's no reason to overthink this one. It's just too easy.Mix drained and rinsed shirataki noodles (I used macaroni shaped) in a pan with some cream cheese,  cheddar or American cheese, a glob of butter, a little chicken bullion, little whipping cream,  salt,  pepper,  celery salt or celery seed,  garlic powder,  and tuna. Just whatever seasonings you like. The main idea is tuna,  noodles,  and cheesy goodness.I topped it with crumbled parmesan crisps to mimic a potato chip topping that some tuna casseroles use. Parmesan Crisps: preheat oven to 400°, put parchment paper on baking sheet, spoon tablespoons of SHREDDED, not grated,  parmesan in piles,  spread them out slightly,  bake for 3-5 minutes or until browned.  Not burnt. It's a fine line.  They crisp as they cool. Can also be used as chips for dip but they're very rich! Throw Down Pizza:You can't get much easier than this! I use either low carb pita bread or low carb tortillas.  Parchment paper on a sheet pan, oven around 350°, slather the lowest carb pizza sauce you can find, top with cheese and whatever you like on pizza. I sprinkle it with garlic powder and Italian herbs. Bake until melty.An alternative method is to put some butter in a skillet and cook there. It gets the bottom nice and crispy. May need to cover it so cheese melts on top.Throw Down Omelet Dinner: no picture because it's what I'm coming tonight! I just use whatever I have for fillings for omelets. Tonight can be ham and cheese or pizza omelets. Whatever the team wants. It's cheap, filling, and fast and uses up stuff I have in the fridge. Win win.Not every meal needs to take a long time.  You can get creative with whatever you have and not spend a lot of time. Don't forget dinner salads too! Super Yum! Next post....Korean Beef! Have an awesome day. Keep your head high and the carbs low. :-)[...]

24th Anniversary Trip


Friday we decided to basically just run away from heart issues and instead focus on the good things in life.  So I made reservations at the Emily Morgan Hotel next door to the Alamo and at San Luis Resort in Galveston.I got a perfect corner room at the Emily Morgan. We relaxed in the hotel lobby and watched people. We sat at the bar and I was mesmerized by the changing lights. Oooooo. ....pretty! We got some tequila on ice and took a selfie in the lounge. I tried to get artsy fartsy with some photo editing apps while we relaxed after a long day. We enjoyed a very loud experience at Pat O'Brians at Alamo Plaza area. You can't go to San Antonio and forget the Alamo. Nay, nay. You remember the Alamo! There is no basement. Don't ask. Oh, how about a selfie? Only married 24 years. Saturday night we got dressed for a fancy shmancy place called Feast. Or feast without a capital "F" to be ironic.  Darn hipsters. I put my hair up and wore a black dress. Mr. Happy Texan wore one of my favorite dressy casual outfits: jeans, blazer, and shirt. Work it, Chuckie!Feast was a feast for the senses. Music, odd lights and decor, trendy type people all flirting with each other.  Also an abnormally high count of douchy men. Chuck was ready to choke a few. Bad manners prevailed for a few. But what an amazing place! Loved it! How can you not love a place like this? Checking out the scenery and enjoying it all. My date had a good time. Selfie!  It was such a foodie paradise at this restaurant in the King William District. Highly recommend it.We started out with a great tuna tartare.  I know raw tuna might not sound great but it's so light and refreshing.  Great! I had and amazing portion of lamb belly. It sounded odd but I thought I'd try it and it was amazing!The trip was over way too soon. Sunday morning we checked out, had the valet bring the car around, then we went for brunch at one of our favorite places: Liberty Bar. It's also in the King William District but located inside of an old convent. They make most of the things there like the breads and whatnot.I had an amazing Bloody Maria. Yum! They make their own mix. MmmmmmThey also make their own lamb sausage and sourdough breads. We enjoyed French press coffee, house made sausage, bread, and preserves. Chuck had rosemary potatoes with his that would melt in your mouth. Amazing place! If you have a chance to try their goulash on homemade pasta do it! It's only available as a special sometimes but you won't be disappointed. They even have a hoja santa plant growing as part of the landscape and they use it in a couple of their dishes. Also known as as root beer plant. Not sassafras though.From there we went straight to Galveston and checked in at the San Luis Resort and Spa. I had reserved an amazing room on the 12th floor with an ocean view from the balcony. Ahhhhhhhhhh. .....time to kick off the shoes and relax. While planning our anniversary trip, I made reservations at a restaurant called Number 13 in Galveston and had flowers delivered and waiting at the table. How romantic. :)The restaurant is called Number 13 because during the Mexican War of Independence, brothers Jean and Pierre Lafitte both acted  as spies for Spain and revolutionaries for Mexico while taking a stance on Galveston. Number 13 was their collective allias. The staff offered us a complimentary bottle of champagne. How awesome is that? We had a table seated by the window overlooking the bay and yacht marina.The interior is beautiful but not stuffy.  Again, we ordered the tuna tartare but theirs was even better than feast with bits of fresh mango. Chuck got the dry aged steak with foie gras and roasted garlic. Holy moly it was good.I got a thick cut pork chop with grilled peach and sautéed spinach. We split jalapeño cheese grits and loaded lobster potato skins. I don't think I even need to tell you how amazing it was.As we finished, the staff came[...]

Weigh In #6


I started back on low carb September 19. Today was my 6th weigh in.

Down 3.4 pounds this week for a total of 17.1 pounds. So happy and feeling soooo much better.

Now on to the weekend! :-D

Low Carb Taco Soup


Mmmmmmm.....taco soup. This is ridiculously easy to make but the flavor is big and bold. Certainly doesn't taste low carb. As a matter of fact, my family devoured all of it! Sadly, this isn't my creation but I salute the person who created it. The only thing I changed was dumping a can of Rotel tomatoes into the pot. I pureed mine because. ....ewwwww. ....chunks. I know. I know. I'm weird.Without further ado, here is the recipe for this yum pot. have no idea why the formatting is messed up. Just thought I'd throw that out there. -----------------------------------------------And now an update on the heart saga. I was scheduled for my nuclear stress test tomorrow but Chuck decided we really need to go on a little trip for our 24th anniversary which is on October 27. Twenty-four years! Can you believe it? I don't know how that's possible since I'm still 21. ;) Mentally. Anyway, I rescheduled the stress test for a couple of weeks but then they call me and say I need to pay something around $750 up front. So I'm going to wait to take the test.  I'm sure everything is fine. Many people have little irregularities with the heartbeat. They've already done soooo many tests! So I'm not in a big hurry to drop that much money on yet more tests at the moment. -------------------------------------------------Let's talk about something fun.  The weekend!  Tomorrow we're headed to San Antonio to stay 2 nights at the Emily Morgan next door to the Alamo. Then Sunday we're heading to Galveston to stay at the San Luis Resort! Way overdue for a road trip. And I'm so excited!I'll be sure to take lots of pictures to share. And in case you're wondering,  I plan on staying low carb during the trip. I feel too good to go back to eating crap. Plus I'm dropping pounds and inches. Wouldn't it be cool to go on a mini vacation and actually lose weight? That's my goal. I'll let you know how it goes. Have a wonderful weekend! [...]

This Old Heart of Mine


Howdy.  Remember me? Probably not since I fell off the face of the earth for a while. Let me catch up with you just a little bit.  There's no way I can cover everything but I'd like to tell you where I've been and what's been going on.

In March,  I got pretty sick. It lasted for almost two weeks,  I felt better for a few days, and then I was down again for two weeks. During that time I was in bed a lot and Chuck would pick up dinner pretty much every night. My energy was gone!  So during March I also started gaining weight at a rather rapid pace. Then it kept going.

In May I went to the doctor and was told I had high blood pressure. Not just a little high, VERY high. One blood pressure pill per day wasn't affecting it so he put me on 2 per day and sent me to an internist.

It took a couple of months to get in with the internist. They took blood, talked and scheduled a stress test on the treadmill. A couple of weeks ago I had my stress test, an EKG, and an ultrasound for my heart. There have been concerns about my insulin issues causing heart damage.

Last week I got a call about my stress test. The results show an abnormality in the electrical of the ST section of the readout. So this Friday I get to go in for a 4 hour procedure where they hook me up to an IV and inject a nuclear dye (radioactive??), do a CAT scan, run me to death on the treadmill, and do another CAT scan. There may be more but I kind of zoned out after that part of the conversation. I hate needles and I hate the stress test.

To be honest,  I'm pretty scared.  I'm scared about the test results and I'm scared about the test itself.  I think about it way too often.

I've also gotten a spot through the lottery in the Houston Half Marathon in January. The problem is that I registered right before I found out about the heart issues. I've been told by two doctors not to run until these tests clear me.  I can walk but not too hard. I can go outside but don't get too overheated. Haha! I love in Texas! In other words, put most exercise on hold.

That's the big news going on.

The heart issues were a wake up call,  plus my clothes being too tight, that it was time to get my fluffy butt back on low carb. On September 19 I began my own challenge to myself to be 100% lowcarb, no cheats, for 30 days. It was much easier than I thought! During that time I lost 15 pounds and some change.


I've tried so many amazing recipes during those 30 days and I'm going to share my favorites with you. Soon. Not all at once.

Also,  I got house chickens! I'll introduce them to you little by little.  But here's my very special hen named Peeps. They wear chicken diapers! How cute!


Happy to be back. I felt a little overwhelmed with everything for a while but I'm feeling better now and ready to get back to my old self. The old Happy Texan.

Hope y'all are doing well. Missed you

Waking from Hibernation


It's still winter and I know a lot of my northern friends are still dealing with cold and snow, but this Texan is waking from a very long hibernation.

Let's face it: I did not participate in one single race last year. I didn't do as much as usual either. It was more of a sabbatical year for me, I guess. But I'm waking up from hibernation and ready to hit it hard again. I have so many great plans this year!

First, back to low carb. When I started taking metformin I lost all interest in most low carb foods. They seemed repulsive to me. Eggs and bacon? Gag! That's not good for a girl trying to watch her weight and health. Plus I was tired much of the time. When I wasn't tired, I was nauseated. Fun times, people.

Second, starting this Sunday I start training for my first (only?) half marathon of 2014. Rachel is on board and Charlie is considering. No word from Chuck yet. He prefers 5k and would be happy to never see another half marathon in his life. My goal race is April 4th for Angie's Half Crazy Half Marathon. I completed it in 2012 and I like the course plus the medal and post race party. The first 5k of the year will be the Rhythm and Blues in Houston on February 10th. Another pretty medal, bands and great party.

Third, I want to play guitar.

Fourth, update my math and French skills.

Fifth, more adventures! I phoned it in last year. Seriously. That just won't do. Life is way too short and there are so many things I want to see and do. If only my checkbook could keep up with those plans.

So let's do this!! Time to kick off the adventures of 2014!

PS: you may notice I didn't mention weight goals and such. That's because I'm not stressed at all about it. I want to feel good, look good, and have fun. I'm assuming my weight will reflect my lifestyle.

Howdy, stranger


It's been a while! How are you doing?

So much has happened since my last post. My youngest is now 13. Rachel has a job. It's crazy with all the changes going on. I guess I just needed some time to step back and look at everything going on around me. I knew time flew fast but I had no idea how fast. They say you only live once but I think I have to disagree with that. You live every day; you only die once.

I did not run one single race in 2013 and I think I'm ready to start training again. I may have gotten a little burned out in 2012 with all the races I did. Lesson learned.

I'm easing back in to blogging and organizing my thoughts. I'll be posting at least once a week. Yay! Then probably twice a week. Any more than that and you'll get sick of me really fast! ;)

Other not - so - fun things: I slipped and fell in a parking lot and really tore my knee up. I have a lovely scar now. Fortunately, there were people to witness my misadventure. Two weeks later Charlie challenged me to a race and I tripped over a root in the trail and landed face first. Face plant on the ground! Once again, my knees were torn up further but I continued the hike while blood ran down my legs. That's how bad ass I am. Call me Grace.

A new low carb cookbook is coming out with a couple of recipes I submitted. I'll tell you more about that later.

I sincerely hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. Hoping 2014 is even better than 2013.

I'll be back soon with another post. And thank you for all the messages and emails checking to make sure I hadn't fallen of the face of the earth. I was just suffering from blogger's block.

See you next week!

Camping and Losing Weight


The camping trip went great but, wow, what a lot of work goes into loading, unloading, then loading and unloading again.  Still, to see the smiles on the kids' faces is all worth it. We rented a shelter which is just a concrete floor with walls and screen and electricity with a water faucet outside but this shelter was special: it had AC! Our friends rented the other shelter with AC and we had a great time.Dash, my car, was loaded down with all the bags, food, a mini fridge, two canoes and 4 bikes. I don't think we could have fit another thing in to that car!After arriving, we had to make a trip to Wal Mart to get some food and a couple of things I forgot to pack. Yeah, this was in the parking lot.  Then it was time to relax. What a great view we had from our little cabin. Charlie and I went for an evening paddle on the calm water of Lake Raven at Huntsville State Park. Chuck had to solo a tandem canoe but he managed.Charlie and I made it back to a cove and an alligator splashed and went right by the canoe. It was so close we could see it! Talk about an adrenaline rush. Then there were splashes as large fish zoomed past us. I even touched something alive with my paddle. I'll admit I was a little spooked at that point.On the way back we did get to paddle past a roosting area for great white egrets. That was really cool! Got back to shore and relaxed a little but we couldn't resist going back on the water one more time to see the beautiful sunset. It just kept getting better and better. Wow! So beautiful. Wish you could have been there. The days were spent relaxing... The kids played together, went swimming, hiked, rode bikes, paddled. It was a nice break from the daily grind of reality. We had a few thunderstorms here and there but nothing bad. In the evenings I liked sitting by the lake and feeling the breeze. One evening we even got a visitor. A great blue heron. One night we even went for a night paddle and it was so pretty with the reflection of the moon on the water.Saturday night we had some friends come up for dinner and that was a lot of fun!All in all, a great time.Even though I wouldn't say I ate great, I didn't eat a lot. And somehow I managed to lose 1 pound while on the trip. Maybe it was the paddling. Surely it wasn't just sitting in a chair.So it's Monday and back to reality. There's laundry to be done. I still need to lose 5.2 pounds in 19 days for my DietBet. I suuuuure hope I can do it! Going to do my best. :)Hope you had a relaxing weekend too.[...]

Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu


This is such an easy and tasty recipe. I didn't count how many carbs are in the dish but it's really low and it's so filling!First, pound some chicken breasts so they're rather flat. Then saute over medium heat in a couple of tablespoons of butter with a couple of teaspoons of oil added to help with scorching. I also salt and peppered the chicken. I mixed about a tablespoon of dijon mustard with a tablespoon of mayo to make a little sauce. Brush the top of the chicken breasts with the sauce. Top with ham slices. Top with swiss cheese. At this point you can roll them up and secure with toothpicks but I just left mine flat. Put in 350* oven for 10 minutes and you're done! It's great for weeknight cooking when you just want to get in and out of the kitchen. Plus I was having a hot flash or something because I couldn't stop sweating and really didn't want to be over a hot stove.-----------------------Monday I got out for some exercise before the rain hit. I only got in a little over 4 miles but it still felt good to get out there and sweat.Tuesday I had tickets to Bugs Bunny at the Symphony so we braved the traffic for 1.5 hours and finally got there.They had pre-concert activities like a live band (as opposed to a dead band).Several vendors and people giving away stuff.They even gave away free ice cream. Don't judge. I had one. :)We had great seats in the covered area (it's an outdoor theater) and loved every minute of the show. They showed cartoons on the big screens and played the music. Sometimes the conductor would give us a little background info or history first. The whole thing was fantastic!It let out pretty late and we had a long drive home in the drizzly rain. Houston was lit up so pretty. Sorry for the blurry picture.Things are going good with the DietBet. I did check my weight yesterday even though I said I was not going to do that. I was happy to see that it is going down. YAY!!!!!Friday I'm leaving for a camping trip so I don't know if I'll be sending out a post before I go. I'll try!Y'all have a great day!!![...]

The Daily Struggles and an Impromptu Adventure


Roller coasters can make you scream obscenities in terror be a lot of fun but a roller coaster on the scale is not so fun. Summer is my weak time. I get in this Margaritaville mentality and just want to be lazy and do whatever I want with a side of fries. Fortunately, I've been staying at a pretty constant weight of fat and haven't gotten much fatter than I did over winter but I haven't made much improvements either.But with the DietBet thing going on, there's money as an incentive. Plus I don't like to fail challenges. It's actually perfect and I am SO thankful to Helen for inviting me.My struggles show up mostly in the evening. I do perfect at breakfast. Lunch is usually ok. By dinner time I want to have something totally unhealthy. I'm trying to learn how to cope with that. Maybe it takes time? Maybe I need to eat a larger lunch so I don't even care about food when dinner comes around? Or maybe I just need to have a menu planned so everything is planned in advance and I won't stray.So this week will be by the menu only. We'll see if that helps with the evening struggles.I'm also doing my best not to weigh every day. Instead I'd like to weigh only once a week so I don't go crazy (crazier). I tell you, it's hard to walk past that scale without hopping on for a peek. But I'm refraining.PaddlingI've come to realize I am a bit more flabby than I used to be. I had some pretty nice looking legs when I was running but now they're very....opposite. I'm happy to have legs that work but I miss being able to see a little muscle. Same thing with the arms.While I know I need to exercise, I want it to be fun. Kind of like have my cake and eat it too. What? It's not wrong to want it all!Some of my favorite "play exercises" include hiking, walking, biking and paddling. I'm hoping running will be in the list one day but for now it's not.After spending all day indoors Saturday (thanks for the tantrum, uterus!) I decided I had to get out Sunday and do something. So we loaded up the canoe and headed out even though we were supposed to be getting a pretty bad rain storm (we didn't get any rain). We arrived at Cedar Hill Park in Wallisville, TX and launched on Lake Charlotte. The giant salvinia, a type of floating fern, was floating everywhere. That stuff is really bad for the fish because it takes oxygen out of the water and it's invasive. We paddled past huge cypress trees with their knees sticking up from the water. It was overcast and the water was calm. a perfect day for paddling. Two fish almost jumped in the boat which was kind of funny. We finally reached the northern most corner of Mac Lake after traveling through Mac Bayou and had to push our way through a lily pad infested area. We got to see 3 alligators, several fish jumping, lots of birds and calm waters. It was a great paddle.On the way back I filmed us going through a heron/egret nesting area. allowFullScreen='true' webkitallowfullscreen='true' mozallowfullscreen='true' width='320' height='266' src='' FRAMEBORDER='0' />We paddled 2 hours 20 minutes then the thunder and lightning started so it was time to head home.My shoulders and arms are a little sore from the paddling. What a great way to get some exercise!![...]

I Bet I Can Lose Weight!


Got up this morning and actually did what I was supposed to do.....exercise! Doctor demanded 15 minutes of activity every single day but I gave 21 days because I'm awesome like that.

Ok, it was just a quick ride. 3.23 miles. But it felt soooo good!

This week I received an invitation to participate in a game at DietBet ( Have you heard about this? You put money in a pot (usually $25) and you have 4 weeks to lose 4% body weight. Anyone that accomplishes his/her goal is a winner and splits the pot. If you don't succeed, you lose your money. 

You have to send in a full body shot and a pic of of your feet on the scale along with a piece of paper with a special word that they give you. You submit your photos then start losing weight with the group. That's it. What great motivation! 

So I'm betting that I can lose 8.1 pounds in 4 weeks. You think I can do it?
I know I can because...

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty awesome. And I've lost 4.1 pounds since Tuesday! It may be mostly water weight but it sure is motivating.

Have yourself a great weekend. I hope to have even more good news and a couple of new recipes to report Monday.

***I used a blogger app to write this so I have no idea how this will turn out.***

Low Carb and Random Stuff


Well, well, well. Here we are after the holidays and it's time to get serious. Seriously serious. Wednesday, July 10, will mark day one of back on the wagon for the whole household. Because if I am going to do this, we're all going to suffer get healthier together.I bought Rachel and I an Atkins Workbook to track our progress and daily eats. I love this book! It's perfect. It asks you questions about why you're making changes and has daily check lists. There's a place to put a "before" picture and record measurements. It's just a great little book and I highly recommend it if you are struggling to get back on track. You can find it at Another great resource is the Easy Living Low-Carb Cookbook from Carbsmart. It has tons of great recipes and they're all easy to make. Even better, it's on sale right now!!! There are some new copies that had a few scratches on the covers but it's really nothing as you can see by my copy. You can get it for $7.95 and that includes shipping! Woohoo! Bargain.Armed with a workbook/journal and a new cookbook, I'm ready to tackle everything.It's not about the weight. Wow, I can't believe I just said that. But I'm a little tired of worrying about the weight. I think if you eat right and do fun exercises then weight loss will be a side effect. As Jason Seib says in The Paleo Coach, "I am simply making the point that the path to better health leads to a hot body by accident, while the direct route of the purely aesthetic goal often leads to frustration."In other words, do what's right and you'll be hot as a side effect. I can live with that! Instead of worrying sooo much about the number, concern yourself with the process. Eat better. Move your body.My favorite way to exercise is to find things that are fun! Hike, paddle, bike, long walk listening to music and things like that. Fun stuff! Even running around playing with my kids. With that being said, I will track my weight along with measurements. Measurements are the most important to me because I don't bring a scale into the dressing room when I try on clothes. I'm just worried how I look in the clothes and how I feel!Random StuffDid a lot of fun stuff over the 4th of July holidays.On the fourth, we headed to Miller Outdoor Theater.Cluck Gable was in attendance and very excited to hear the Houston Symphony and see the fireworks. All for free! We got there 2.5 hours early so we would get a decent seat and have a picnic. Even getting there that early, it was still crowded. Cluck was pretty upset to discover he was enjoying Popeye's Fried Chicken. He also enjoys photo bombing. I tried adding little touches like flameless candles to the ice chest. Now that's classy! ;) Isn't this sweet? Brother and sister living in harmony. Actually, I told them to get together and act like they love each other. True story. (they really do love each other) Let's try a group self portrait. And then sit around for a long, long time watching people fly kites and stuff. This is what it looked like when we got there..... ...and this is what it looked like once the symphony started playing at 8:30. Keep in mind we're on top of a hill and all of that is also covered in people. The symphony was great. And free. Did I mention free? You're allowed to bring alcohol to your picnics but no glass containers. This poor lady had been drinking since before we arrived and finally passed out. She wasn't doing too well the rest of the evening. And then came the 1812 Overture with cannons!! It was so cool!And the fireworks display was fantastic! This is just a very tiny portion of them. allowFullScreen='true' webkitallowfullscreen='true' mozallowfullscreen='true' width='320'[...]

High as a Kite


Hey, remember how I said I was going to talk low carb today? Well, I lied. That's not happening since the past couple of days has been me just eating what I want. Monday I had a wisdom tooth taken out and it took some effort to remove!My wisdom tooth had broken in half and become infected and the pain was pretty bad. It would wake me up every single night and I got headaches from the pain. God forbid a piece of ice touch it! I had to wait a week to see the dentist so he prescribed some pain meds and antibiotics but there's only so much pain that they relieved.Chuck drives me to the dentist and I take two halcion pills to help me relax. While I'm waiting for the pills to work I solve some 3D sudoku problems.Dentist: How are you? Feeling it yet?Me: I'm doing fine but I don't feel any different at all.Dentist: What are you doing?Me: Sudoku 3D. I wanted to see if I could still do it after taking the pills.Dentist: Let's have you take a third pill.......waiting.....Dentist: Nothing?! Let's put some nitrous on you.While on the gas and 3 halcion I still solve my puzzles. By this time the dentist is starting to get concerned that the sedatives aren't working. Then suddenly......Duuuuude. I am so stoned. I fell asleep with my huge proboscis filled with fun gas. I did wake up here and there and again when I heard the tooth crack while the dentist was trying to get it out. It took that man over an hour to get it out!Meanwhile, I feel nothing. When I woke up, however, my jaw was hurting pretty bad. Funny thing about halcion is that you don't remember much the next day. I think I was a bit of a handful for Chuck but he's patient with me, thankfully.I was settled in bed and given pain meds and was in and out of sleep. Sometimes I had no clue what was going on. Tuesday it hurt pretty bad. I couldn't smile and was sleepy most the day. But today I'm able to smile again and even eat a little better. Yay!I guess all talk low carb fun after the holidays. I'm sure you guys are busy and I have a fun filled weekend planned.Happy Independence Day! See ya Monday. :)[...]

My Superpower: Seeing Sounds


I know, I know. It's been a while. I've been kicking back and enjoying summer which means I have left an orphaned blog to fend for itself. That's just sad. I'm a terrible blog parent. But I've sought help and will be giving it the attention it deserves. Enough summer slacking.I have some new low carb and doctor news but I'm not going to write about all of that right now. We'll save that for Wednesday. I've been a happy little chick lately. There are so many little things I could concentrate on that have the potential to bring me down but I remember that I chose to be happy. I chose to look at every single wonderful thing in my life and surrounding me and concentrate on all of that. You know what? It works! Plus looking at the humor category on Pinterest. I laugh my ass off until I'm crying and I think that laughter really is the best medicine. Well, in some cases. Sometimes penicillin is the best medicine.Chuck celebrated a birthday. I like to do things a little....differently. So instead of cake, we got fabulous cupcakes. Instead of lighting the candles with a regular lighter, I broke out my kitchen torch. Mine! I'm stingy with my torch. I think the rest of the night involved food and alcohol. Not sure.We've picked up the occasional geocache but Chuck always finds them first which vexes me to no end. Joking. I'm happy for him. But I might also trip him "accidentally" next time. Did I mention I got contacts? So I passed my driver's license eye test and got license renewed. Yay. I'm lethal legal again.I have been starting each day with grand intentions of going low carb all day but somewhere in there my resolve dissolves in a glass of something tasty or with a side of fries. Hey, I'm not proud. I'm just being honest. One night pizza was on the menu. Did you know Domino's tells you who is delivering your pizza? So I decided to make him feel welcome. I had Chuck answer the door which confused the hell out of Ryan because Chuck looks angry most the time even though he's not and is a super nice guy. So Ryan's smile faded fast and he wanted to know what was going on. Then I showed up at the door and told him hi. He wanted to know what was going on and how I knew his name. I explained about the Dominos tracker and stuff and he seemed ok. I may or may not have a restraining order against me and be blocked from ordering pizza again. Not sure.I know not everyone appreciates my humor. I'm positive it even annoys some people. But it's me and I'm pretty happy with me so I don't plan on repressing it. :)Did you know pizza tastes good for a few minutes but stays on the hips for.....years?! I remember training for my first half marathon. This is my inspiration. To get back to this and beyond.See my belly? No, you don't! Because it's not there. I've got big plans. Big ones. I've got big ones. haha That was random. Sorry.Ok, now to discuss my superpowers! A few weeks ago I had a wisdom tooth that decided to split in half for no apparent reason. It didn't hurt so I just let it go. But then it started hurting like a son of a *&#$!!! SO the dentist checked it out and said it had to go. Poor tooth. Today I get that tooth removed. Oh,  don't be sad for me. The dentist gives me halcion and nitrous. When I have that combination I develop super powers: I can see sounds!!! It's almost like an out of body experience. It's pretty surreal.One side effect is that I need constant supervision after the procedure because I will remember nothing the next day. Chuck makes an excellent caretaker but he hasn't always been able to keep his eyes on me 100% of the time which has resulted in some interesting stories. Allow me to share:1) [...]

I Did It!


It's really just a small victory but I did it! I have adjusted to my meds and am now able to take what the doctor prescribed. It happened a little faster than I had anticipated and a little bit by accident. I took two pills one morning instead of just the one. Oops! But I survived. I had a couple of days of not feeling too great but it went away. So now I take two thyroid meds and 4 Glumetza (metformin) per day.As far as weight loss goes, I have no idea. My clothes aren't fitting any better yet but I haven't been weighing.  As I've been working on adjusting to these meds I haven't been eating as much. Even when I am "starving" it only takes a very small amount to fill me up.I had been suffering from a lot of dizziness. Most of that has subsided as well. So I'm going to give it another week for full adjustment and then start back to exercising. Yay!!!!! Glad to start feeling "normal" again.Not too much has been appealing when it comes to food. I haven't been trying to stick to low carb or much of anything. My portions have been rather small most the time so I haven't been fighting it. Now that I'm feeling better I'm going to concentrate more on what I eat.It was another whirlwind weekend. Friday night we took Rachel and her boyfriend's family out to eat at Tookie's in Seabrook. Her choice. You can't have too many birthday celebrations and they have amazing burgers!  The burgers were great but I couldn't even eat a third of mine. Seriously, it doesn't take much anymore. I guess that's a good thing?We got Rachel a tiramisu cake and sang happy birthday. Because you can't have too much cake, she also had a Reese's Cup ice cream cake at home. Don't judge. Poor Rachel is still adjusting to her meds so she felt terrible after dinner and we headed home. But we were treated to a beautiful sunset. Saturday was a lazy day around the house. It's nice to have those from time to time but by Sunday I needed to get out. We went to a friend's house for a birthday party. Then I started suffering from PMS: Pre-Monday Syndrome. I wasn't ready for the day to be over so I got on Yelp and started looking for some places. The kids didn't want to go so it was just Chuck and I headed to Sam's Boat in Seabrook.  They have outdoor seating with great views of the bay. We were treated to a pretty sunset by the water.... ...and some great happy hour specials. Little bit of beer, a crab ball or two, and $1 slider. After chilling out on the deck we went to the pier to watch a boat being put away for storage. The forklift picks it up right out of the water! That's so cool!!! And I am easily entertained. After enjoying views like that, Chuck was trying to find a way to move out to the beach. The sound of the waves and the beautiful views are very relaxing. Watched a black capped night heron fish for his dinner. Goodbye, weekend.  We were treated to another beautiful sunset on the way home. You can barely see downtown Houston in the distance on the right. Monday I woke up with the blahs. Weekend went by quickly and I wasn't ready to face the week. Was feeling kind of lonely and just overall not a Happy Texan. So I gave Monday the middle finger and decided to extend the weekend. As soon as Chuck got home I had some stuff packed and we all headed to the beach with the top down on Rachel's car. There was kit flying. Well, not really. At the beach you just have to hold on to the string and the kite just does its own thing. The kids made sandcastles. Looked at tiny shells in the sand and dug up clams. I waded into the water and watched the fi[...]

My Baby Turns 18!


There has been a lot going on in life lately. Not only has Rachel gotten her license but she had her last prom, graduated and yesterday she turned 18! Wow! That flew by fast. You think when they're little that they will be little for a long time. Nope. One day you wake up and they're all grown up. It's bittersweet, to say the least.Rachel chose to have lunch at a little Mexican eatery called Casa Ole. It's nothing fancy but they have some good salsa. We picked up Chuck from work so he could enjoy the fun too.Rachel's gift took up most the table. I got her a tiara and a birthday necklace to wear. I put a few different candies in the bag like Pop Rocks and such along with her main gift. We spent a while trying to pick this out but finally decided on this because it sounded so good and this girl loves her music. Dre Beatbox. It's wireless and portable and sounds awesome! She was pretty excited. :) Before all that, I had an eye appointment to check out the contacts I got. They're progressive so I'm supposed to be able to see far away and somewhat near. It's taking some adjustment but it's good to see again! Chuck gets home from work yesterday and we have a little tequila shot in a little red solo cup glass and toast Rachel's birthday. Cheers!! I have a mega sized ceramic cup but it's not the best thing for tequila shots. LOL Way too big! Maybe I'll put water in it. So I'm just goofing off in this pic. Rachel wasn't very hungry but we wanted to take her out to celebrate so she chose Sweet Tomatoes salad bar. The weather was pretty ominous on the way. After a brief storm we were treated to a gorgeous sunset over the city. We had a nice dinner and laughed and stuffed ourselves. We didn't even have cake for her birthday even though I had picked up a Dairy Queen Reese's Cup Blizzard ice cream cake. We were just too full and sleepy.------------------Wednesday afternoon while Charlie was at his piano lesson, Chuck and I decided to go sit at the pub and have a beer while waiting. It's in the same parking lot as the piano lessons so why not? Check out their soup of the day. Ha! In completely random news, I like to polish my sink from time to time. I usually use a paste to clean and wax it but I tried this powder to see if it would work ok. Scrub scrub scrub....... Rinse and dry. Looks decent. I still think I like the paste wax better. It makes the water really bead up. And I got some good advice from a fortune cookie. ;)Yesterday I accidentally took two Glumetza in the morning instead of one. I'm supposed to be working up to the two pills in the morning and two at night. Oh well. I just rushed things a little. But I did fairly well with it!Last night I did wake up with my heart racing and I was sweating. Not sure what caused that but I couldn't seem to cool down. Maybe the thyroid is kicking in. Sure would be great to have that metabolism going right again.Life is good right now. I have no complaints. I'm not thrilled with my weight and belly still but it's not the end of the world. The important things in life are having people who love me just as I am and having fun.Wishing you a wonderful weekend!!! I have a lot going on this weekend but going to work at keeping it a low carb weekend. Maybe I should start taking pics of my eats again. That always helps with accountability.See ya Monday![...]

On the Road Again


When the day is beautiful, like it was yesterday, I sometimes get the urge to go for a drive and go exploring and listen to music. Sometimes I might even sing along to the radio.It's a great way to put me in a good mood or just a time to think. I've always loved driving around exploring. With gas prices these days, I haven't been doing that very often.But yesterday I took off with no particular destination in mind. Blue skies. White fluffy clouds. And some tunes blasting on the radio. I  stopped to see a giant statue of Stephen F Austin. Wow, that thing is big! Can you the little bushes at his feet? I wonder if there is a That Way St?There is something therapeutic about listening to upbeat music and doing a little exploring. I wasn't gone long but it was nice to get out and get a little contemplative time.That evening I made philly cheesesteaks! Wow! These are good. I had almost half of one. I guess the meds help curb my appetite a little.I thinly sliced sweet onion and peppers then sauteed them in olive oil and butter. Added some soy sauce, garlic pepper, and a dash of Worcestershire. Removed them then added thinly sliced flat iron steak. Sauteed that in olive oil and butter then added garlic pepper, little soy sauce and a dash of worcestershire. Chopped it up good and tossed with the onions and peppers. This is Chuck's portion! I toasted some sub rolls, topped with steak mix and provolone cheese then put in oven until cheese got melty.These could be low carb wrapped in low carb tortillas or stuffed in a low carb pita. If trying to avoid grains you could wrap in large lettuce leaves. The meat mixture would be great in an omelet! Or even as a salad topping. So many possibilities.Meds udate:I am up to 3 Glumetza per day. I have been having a bit of trouble with dizziness but overall I'd say it's going ok. I'm still losing hair from the thyroid meds but it said that was a side effect at first.My appetite has really been curbed. I don't feel nauseous as often as before but even when I feel like I'm starving I only eat a little bit before I'm full. Still, I haven't noticed a change in how my clothes fit. I'm trying to be patient but it's hard.[...]

If You're Happy and You Know It Shake Your Meds!


Hello, stranger! It's been a while. Let's just say life has been approaching the speed of light over the past week.Before I get in to all of the goings on, I'll update you on the meds and how that's going. I'm up to 3 of the 4 Glumetza I'm supposed to take per day. This is the best I've ever done with metformin so I have high hopes.Rachel had had some ups and downs with her meds. But she's trying. He said it would take about 3 months for everything to kick in and she would feel better.---------------------I was not eating right over the past week. Sometimes the medicine made me not even want to eat. So I would skip lunch. But even when I'm "starving" I can only eat small portions. By the end of last week my appetite had returned though.Let's see, Friday, May 24 was busy running the roads. Chuck and I stopped at a little tavern called Gordon Street Tavern and got a couple of beers And I ordered pulled pork nachos thinking it would be a small portion. It's hard to tell in the photo but it was a mountain. I barely touched it but it was good. Saturday the 25th, Chuck had a state championship shooting match. His head wasn't in the game so he didn't do as well as he would have liked. We were on the road at 5:30am and didn't leave there until 5:30pm. Long day.They did have some cool stages set up like this one where he had to shoot out of a dumpster. They provided water and even the water bottles had guns on them. Sunday we got to go to a friend's house. They had just moved in and it's a great place! Backs up to the water and I love it! Ducks would come into the yard. I tried to catch them but they can fly!Was a great time and we all enjoyed a beautiful sunset. I'd put my fingers in the water and fish would come up and nibble on them.Kyle's son caught his first fish that evening! A little catfish. He was pretty excited.Sunday night I forgot to take my Glumetza so I resumed taking it Monday morning. Memorial Day. Ugh, it did not go well for me. I felt sick most the day and even took a two hour nap. Was pretty much a wasted day.Tuesday was my birthday! Happy birthday to me! Rachel made me a half mother's day cake and half birthday cake. So cute. And she created nutella icing for the filling. Yum!I got cards from the family that were all great. Chuck worked that morning but came home with flowers and took the rest of the week off. I got my hair trimmed and went to the shooting range wearing a tiara. It's my birthday! A tiara is perfectly acceptable.That night we went out to Carabba's to celebrate and had a very nice time. Not a low carb day. Not a low carb week!!Wednesday was more running of the roads. I had so many errands and then had a rehearsal for Rachel's graduation. Afterwards, Rachel went out with her boyfriend and Chuck and I went to Cafe Adobe for dinner and drinks by the water. I got to feed a grackle from my hand. :)Thursday was the BIG day. I can't believe she's graduating! My baby girl can't be this grown up. I was a nervous wreck. She was a nervous wreck! Here is a group picture of Rachel and her friends before the big moment.Each graduate had a slide show of some pictures of them growing up. Chuck and I met Rachel on stage where I gave her the diploma and she gave me a rose. Chuck gave a short speech and then Rachel thanked us in a little speech. Then it was time for the reception and a few pics. This is a pic of us with my parents. Chuck looks happy. I wanted a Xanax or something! I was able to keep it together and not cry but there were a couple of close calls.Friday night we went out to Buca di Beppo with[...]

When Being a Sharing Mom Isn't Good


I like to share. I like to give. But there are times when sharing and giving are just not a good thing. Such as medical problems.I've had a pretty darn good week. Been happy with life in general and all is going well. Tuesday night I get a phone call that kind of shocked me but I was sort of expecting at the same time. The doctor's office had Rachel's blood test results. The nurse said, "Rachel has definite markers for insulin resistance and the doctor wants to meet soon to discuss the rest of the results. Can you come in tomorrow?" Ugh.My initial response was a wave of guilt. I gave this to her. It's my fault she has it. How bad is it? Is it as bad as mine? Is she borderline?Meanwhile, I'm trying to cook a quick and cheap dinner of burgers for the family but my mind is only on Rachel. I'm trying to keep myself together but the weight of the guilt is so heavy that I feel I might break down at any moment. Keep it together, Kelly!I put the buns under the broiler to toast and set the timer but when I take them out one of the buns is on fire! I burned them! Well, that was the straw that broke this proverbial camel's back. I was cutting up a honeydew melon and trying my best to fight back tears but they started coming anyway. I didn't want this for Rachel! I didn't want her to have to fight weight all her life and have PCOS and tummy fat and all the other "fun" stuff. She's only 17 soon to be 18.Chuck sees that a few tears have started coming and tells me to go to the bedroom. He's the psychologist of the family. So he wants me to talk and get it all out. I tell him about my horrible guilt. He tells me it's not my fault at all. I did not will this upon Rachel. And it's better to find out early than later in life. This way she doesn't have to go through some of the frustrations I have. Then I said, "And I burned the buns!!" and started crying pretty hard. Like the buns were the tipping point. Hahaha! He laughed and said it's going to be ok. Gave me a washcloth for my tears and said get cleaned up and then come back to the kitchen.When I got myself back together and went to the kitchen to finish up, I find him scraping the burnt places off all the buns. He made them right again. Very nice gesture.Sitting at the table, Rachel finds one of my hairs on her plate. I'm horrified, of course, and apologize. One of the initial side effects of taking the thyroid pills is hair loss and I have been losing a lot of hair every day. I'm rather self conscious about it. Charlie then makes a comment that I'm going bald as a joke. And once again, the tears start. Fortunately I was just finishing my dinner and once again Chuck sends me to the bedroom to have a talk.I tell him I'm still feeling guilty and I'm worried about Rachel going through all of this stuff. It makes me feel terrible! And I'm a little sensitive about my hair coming out. I'm sure it'll grow back and it is only temporary but still....I don't want my daughter going through any of this! After a talk, I'm feeling much better. Chuck tells the kids why I'm upset. I've finally recovered from the initial shock. Rachel is taking it waaaaay better than I am! But still some guilt remains for me. I know it wasn't on purpose but it's still from me. Not a fun gift to get from mom.-----------------------------------------Wednesday Rachel and I head off to the doctor. He gave us a lot of good news first. Cholesterol is great. A1C was fantastic! He said he could tell that she had been watching her carbs. Yay! She's not anemic at all. Then the not-so-good news. Her fasting insulin [...]

The Craziest Day Ever: Prom 2013


Ever have one of those days where so many weird things happen that you think maybe it would be better to just stay home because something terrible might happen? One thing after another! And after a while it becomes comical. That was Thursday for me. Grab a cup of coffee, tea, water or vodka and have a seat.It had already been a busy week of getting Rachel ready for her senior prom. Lots of shopping and emails and stuff like that. I was making appointments for makeup and hair. Our hair stylist had jury duty so I sent her a text and said I needed her badly on Thursday morning so she got me in at 9am.I have a schedule in my mind for Thursday. Everything is meticulously planned. Nothing could go would think.The big day arrives and we leave the house around 8:20am to get her hair put up. I get a text on the way that my friend is running 15 minutes late to the salon. No problem. I'll stop at Sonic and get some breakfast for Rachel and I. As soon as I place my order I get a text saying that my friend made it on time after all and is waiting for us. Doh!So we get our food and I "try" to start the car. Nothing! I panic. WTH?! Why today? No, no, no, no, no. This isn't happening. Fortunately for me, Chuck had a meeting cancelled so he worked from home that day otherwise he wouldn't have answered my text and I would have had to go to Plan B. Crying. Ha, I'm joking sort of. But it would have been difficult.Chuck comes with his tool kit, I take the other car, drop Rachel off at the salon, go back to Sonic (there's something classy about working on your car at Sonic while they all watch inside and the people eating get dinner and a show), I stay with the car and Chuck goes to the auto store and gets a battery, come back and changes the battery and everything is good as new. Whew!Rush back to get Rachel from the salon and off to pick up her date's boutonniere. It's ready and looks great! Then to pick up Chuck's prescription at the pharmacy. I go through the drive thru, put my money in the tray and just then a gust of wind comes and blows it away. $10! So I open my door just enough to squeeze out and chase after the money in the parking lot. Done! Mission accomplished.I also need to mention that on this particular day people are driving crazy and there are several near misses. What is wrong with everyone this day?! Rachel and I are joking how it's an omen and we should stay home.Get home and feed everyone. I don't eat because sometimes the meds still make me a little nauseous. Get Charlie together and his bag and head over to my mother-in-law's so he can spend the night and go to his piano lesson later that day. I'm on a tight schedule and everything needs to go as planned!On the way we see a little dog running around at an intersection lost. He's going to get killed. I tell Rachel to open the door and the dog jumps in and is so happy to be rescued. What a cutie! But this is not on the itinerary! The dog lays his head on Rachel's lap and is so excited and grateful. Drop Charlie off at in-laws' then head back to the intersection where I found the dog. He has a collar but no tags. I can't keep him! I don't want any more animals. Rachel thinks she saw him come from a certain direction towards the intersection earlier so we drive that way looking for a house where we can leave him. At least so he won't get hit and maybe he'll recognize his home. That's the idea anyway. I stop, Rachel opens her door and the dog jumps out. We leave and I look in my rearview mirror: he's running after us doing h[...]

1 Week Meds Update


It's been a little over a week since I started taking Glumetza in the evening and my two thyroid meds in the morning. So far, so good!I'm feeling like myself again except for stomach being not very happy in the mornings. I'm getting some energy back. Yay! So hopefully the bad initial side effects are about to pass.I have not been very hungry at all. Usually by the evenings I'm starting to get my appetite back.Yesterday I got a call from the doctor's office. My lab work results had come in. Things look ok overall but the doctor wants me to work up to take four Glumetza pills per day! Four! I was happy to have adjusted to one. It's a little disheartening.I'll start adding in a pill with breakfast soon. I'll wait to adjust to that before adding another pill with dinner. Then, finally, two pills with breakfast. I really, really don't like taking pills or any medication for that matter. But I did promise the doctor that I would try it his way for six months. I'd give it my best shot and give it a fair try. I've been fighting him on this since 2010 I think? Last visit he gave me a pretty serious talk so I figured I'd give it a shot instead of fighting him every step of the way.-----------------------------------Other things going on: last night I went to the Houston Museum of Natural science to see Dr. Patrick Hunt give a lecture about Otzi the Ice Man, a 5300 year old naturally preserved mummy. Was very interesting. Tonight he'll be giving a more in depth lecture at the Health Museum and I highly recommend it if you can go.-----------------------Rachel's final prom is this week so I've been busy getting ready for that: buying accessories, making hair and makeup appointments and fun stuff like that. That's tomorrow and since our good friend is the DJ, Chuck and I will be chaperoning the dance. Should be interesting. I'm going to prom! Hahaha!------------------------There's a lot coming up. Chuck has a state shooting match coming up, Rachel will be graduating in two weeks, I have a birthday coming up. I'm still 21. ;)And tonight I'll be inn Conroe while Chuck shoots a qualifier to see where he ranks. Or something like that. I'm not exactly sure how it all works.Busy, busy, busy time of the year.I guess I'll check my weight on June 1 to see what's going on with that. The scale needs batteries and I've been in no rush to replace them. But all I have to do is look in the mirror to see I still have a long way to go to be at my happy weight. That's ok. I'm on track.Wishing each and every one of you an awesome Wednesday! Wish me luck as I add an extra Glumetza to my routine this weekend. Hoping it won't be too terrible and I adjust quickly. I'm giving all of this until October (six months) to see some results. I promised the doctor I'd try and I will.[...]

Vicksburg Trip Part 1


Yes, I said part 1. As in there's going to be more so brace yourselves. And yes, I'm making you sit through my vacation photos. Humor me and pretend you're interested and no one gets hurt. Otherwise, I may get psycho on you. Read previous post to understand why. :)Seriously, I'm doing soooo much better! Feeling better. I think I may be able to tolerate this form of metformin. I have great hopes that this will help out. Time will tell.Ok, vacation. Last Thursday we left on a little weekend trip to Vicksburg, MS. When Rachel was about a year and a half, we lived there for a year so I wanted her to get to see some of the places she used to visit and also see the historical sights.First a trip to my mom's house to drop off a dog and a lizard. Because I have a small zoo. Then back on the road! She lives about an hour and a half from my house. Charlie was excited to cross the Louisiana state line but when we did he was a little disappointed. He said it looked a lot like Texas. I'm not exactly sure what he thought it would look like.Stop for some Cajun lunch at Hollier's Cajun Kitchen in Sulphur. That's some good eating there! We started with fried alligator.  And a crawfish pistolette. Ohhhh, I haven't had these in so long. It's a roll stuffed with cheesy goodness then fried. Really. Hang on just a second: let's be totally honest here. This was not a low cal trip. Half of this monster shrimp po boy. No way we came close to finishing all this. Charlie ordered chicken fried steak. Really? We live in Texas! Get something Cajun. Oh well. Over the years I have developed an allergy to shrimp and lobster. Which is sad because I love them both! I am happy to announce that the past two times I've had shrimp I have not had an allergic reaction! YES!! Happy about that.After a lunch like that we were all feeling a but lethargic. Plus the weather was drizzly. Passed over the long bridge of the Atchafalaya Basin. Nice and swampy. So many places to canoe out there. I would love to explore it. We make it to St Francisville, Louisiana and stop by The Myrtles plantation. This place has been featured in countless magazines and television programs and is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in the world. It's beautiful to me. Wouldn't you love to stay here?! You can! Go to the web site and check it out. I really, really want to do that. The grounds are incredible. There's a pond and gazebo. The little white building to the right is the carriage house restaurant. Ah, yes. I can see myself sitting on this porch. Sir, please bring me another mint julep. I did a little check-in on Facebook and a friend commented that she and her sister-in-law stayed upstairs in the main house. She didn't believe in ghosts in stuff but her sil brought an audio recording. They were taunting the two child ghosts that are supposed to live there and on the audio recording they heard kids talking about how they hide in the attic. It freaked her out so bad that she will never go back. I'm a skeptic about most things but I'd love to go and see. Wouldn't you?!We took the scenic route starting in Natchez, MS and travelled up Natchez Trace which is a very old pathway that prehistoric animals used to travel and later Indians and later pioneers. It winds all the way from Natches to Tennessee. 444 miles and covering 10000 years of North American history. Even though it was raining and a cold front was blowing through, we stopped at the US's se[...]

Run for the Hills!


Today is day two of starting up my insulin resistance and thyroid meds. I thought I'd document this in case any one else goes through something similar.A few years ago my doctor put me on Metformin. I did not do well and it ended with me hooked up to all kinds of machines at the cardiologist's office. So my doctor decided to start me out slower by crushing up the metformin and having me take small crumbs and progressing to larger crumbs until my body was accustomed to it. The goal being to have me taking whole pills eventually.  That didn't work out either.So I've tried to battle insulin resistance and low thyroid on my own with diet and exercise. But now my doctor seems even more insistent on getting me on these darn pills. He gave me a good long talk at our last visit and I have promised to give it my all. I will do my best.Monday night I took my first Glumetza which is a type of metformin as I understand it. The side effects are supposed to be much less than Glucophage (metformin) and I only have to take one pill per day. Sounds good, right?Monday night I woke up with nausea and did not sleep very well. By Tuesday morning I was feeling pretty off. I do not have the normal side effects associated with metformin. Nope. Instead I feel like I'm in a mental fog, I'm tired, upset stomach, moody, lonely, crying for no reason and pretty much an all around psycho chick. I can not begin to tell you how much I hate that feeling.My mom reacts poorly to just about all medication. When she tried metformin she did just fine. Not any side effects at all. And she dropped weight very easily. Me? I'm scaring all of the people I love around me. There at least better be some weight loss with this! Honestly, I am not myself. And it bugs me that I can't just control it.By Tuesday night I was pretty much a wreck. I didn't want to eat but I had a little something and took my second Glumetza pill. I had cried for no reason that day, went full psycho, and wasn't a pleasant person. I didn't even want to be around me! How can I explain to people that it's not me?Tuesday night I hardly slept at all. My heart was pounding and I just couldn't sleep. I worried about feeling different. I worried about offending people. I woke up several times with nausea.It's now Wednesday. I'm still dealing with feeling off balance. I don't like it one bit! But I will give this a few days to see if I adjust. Right now it's a pretty rough time for me. The whole thing makes me feel low.I am sorry for such a downer of a post but I do want to document how I do with this and how I progress. I'm hoping I'll be back to my normal cheerful happy self within a few days. In the meantime, you may want to run for the hills and avoid this psycho chick. HahaOh, but the good news is that the thyroid pills don't cause any odd side effects for me. So that's something! Now to get this metformin under control.Thanks for hanging in there with me. It'll get better soon. I'm sure of it. :)[...]

Doctor Visit


I was way overdue for my doctor visit but I continued to put it off. I can't stand going to the gynecologist! It's not that he does anything wrong. He's a super nice guy and funny and does his best to put his patients at ease. But I feel weird paying a guy to look at me there. He never even offers to buy me a drink first.August 2012 I received test results while I was on my way to Dallas. I had abnormal cells and they needed to retest in three months. Fast forward to April and I still hadn't gone back. I'm not sure why. Maybe I was afraid something would be wrong and if I didn't know about it then it couldn't hurt me? Who knows?!So I went to see Dr. Wheeler last Wednesday. He looked concerned when he sat down. He said he was not happy with my weight and asked when I was going to let him treat me. You see last time I saw him I decided to stop taking all my meds and try to control this insulin resistance, PCOS and thyroid issues with diet and exercise. Just to see if I could do it because I had such a terrible reaction to the metformin. We're talking chest pains. Bad stuff. I told him in August that if I couldn't do it my way then I would give his way a fair shot.Well, when a doctor says you're in the top 5% of worst cases he has ever had in his practice and he is very concerned, you listen. And when he promises you that he can help with all of your problems and reverse your metabolism to what it was 20 years ago and help you lose weight, you listen.Long story short: I'm on two thyroid meds (Levothyroxine and Liothyronine) and a new form of metformin called Glumetza that is supposed to be tolerated easier. The Glumetza is taken with my evening meal and the two thyroid meds are taken on an empty stomach early in the morning.Last night I took my Glumetza for the first time. Since I had such a terrible time with metformin, I was concerned about what would happen with this medication. The only problems I've had so far was waking up early this morning with nausea and a headache and mental fog. I cant hardly think straight. But maybe I'm still just recovering from the weekend.I'm hoping that this will really work like the good doctor says it will. I'm sick of gaining weight so easily. I'm sick of the issues that come along with PCOS and low thyroid. Although I'm not a fan of medicating a problem, I'm just so ready to be "normal" that I'll give it a try.Right now I am only taking a sample of Glumetza because my insurance may/may not pay for it. Before I tackled that the doctor wanted to see how I would tolerate the meds. So far so good but it's only been one dosage. If I start developing chest pains I will cease taking it immediately and will probably be sent to the cardiologist again. We want to avoid that, yes?I was on a mini vacation over the weekend. I wanted the kids to see some historical places so we visited a couple of Indian ceremonial mounds, Vicksburg battlefield and other place (more about that in a future post). While standing in the cold wind near the old courthouse in Vicksburg, I see I have a voice mail. I check and it's the doctor's office with my newest test results. They ask me to call the office. Oh boy. Last time I got a call I was also on a weekend trip but the news was not good. Why didn't they just tell me on the voice mail that everything was ok? If I need to call the office then everything must NOT be ok! Oh no.With shaking hands I dial the office. My family is[...]