Subscribe: Chicago charter fishing with Addiction Charters
Added By: Feedage Forager Feedage Grade B rated
Language: English
action  back  bite  blue  east  fish  good  headed  hit  king  muffin  rods  set  slide diver  slide  time  water 
Rate this Feed
Rate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feed
Rate this feed 1 starRate this feed 2 starRate this feed 3 starRate this feed 4 starRate this feed 5 star

Comments (0)

Feed Details and Statistics Feed Statistics
Preview: Chicago charter fishing with Addiction Charters

Chicago charter fishing with Addiction Charters

Chicago charter fishing with Addiction Charters

Published: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:28:13 CST

Copyright: Copyright 2006,

9/3/06 pm - A family affair
For the after noon trip I had Wyatt an 11 year old that has wanted to catch a salmon, his mom and granddad aboard Addiction. I set up right were we left off with the same baits. We had marks at first, but went 0 for 2 the first hour. There was a group of boat to the south so I figure I would head down and check it out. Just about the time I get there most of the boats are spreading out, but I made a turn to head east and we hooked up on the bloody death down 125. One of the down side of fishing light line(12#) is the fish pretty much get to go where ever they want, and this king was determined to get wrapped up in the dipsy. Not only did he take out the inside dipsy, but he also went the extra mile and got the slide diver as well. So with both dispys wrapped up on the 12# test rigger line I thought it was only a matter of time and the line would let go, but we were able to work all 3 rods and get the king to the net. Then I had the task of getting the 3 rods back in the water. When I got the wheel, after get the rods back in the water we were at 24' so I made a turn and headed north. We stay in the 130 - 140 range, while we didn't have too many marks we were getting bite, but getting the fish all the way to the box was the problem. To try and help get the fish in the box, once we got hooked up I would slow the boat to 1.8 mph but then we would get the fish in close enough to see it was a good king and then it spit the hook. For the afternoon bite the dipsy did take more hits, but the riggers put more fish in the box and we finished up 7 for 15

9/3/06 am - Not just a one hit wonder
Hit the water at 5am and slowed down over the third hill to see if the fish had moved in. No marks so back on plane and out to 160fow with a few marks we set up on a south troll. The SWR with a blue berry muffin was the first bait down and I set it at 65, its been the stud that past few trips and this was no different. Next was the bloody death down 101 followed by white plastic with a green and perl fly down 80, and the last rigger was a green dolphin mag down 55. The riggers kept us busy so it was slow getting the dispys out, but once I got then out and got then set up with more then 300' of line out we started to get hits. The slide divers with a blue dolphin and a kevikorian circus freak back 300' and 325' both took a few hits. The dipsy back 300 and 350 with white plastic and a aqua fly and the other with a white fly did better then the slide divers but no where near as good as the riggers. We had action all the way down to 26' and we were out of the pack of boats. We did loose the marks around 25'8 so I turned and headed back north, but it was slow so I also started to slide out deeper, and drop the riggers down to 75, 95, 105 and 125. That seemed the be the ticket to get the fish to bite, and the action on the riggers picked up. On the trip north we got out to 200fow and lost are marks so we turned and headed west to get back to the 180 - 170 where we had our best action. On the turn to level out in the 170's we hooked up and got in to the 150's and didn’t have marks so it was back east, and once we got to the 170 we trolled north as it was getting close to that time. I got a call from the charter about a 1/4 mile north of us that they had just had a triple, so I turned to run over the same spot. Just about the time we should be pulling rods the slide diver hooks up, then the rigger down 105 with a green fly and green plastic. The slide diver fish get unbuttoned, so I start to pull rods while the battle is on with the other king. I had time to get all 2 but rods in and we boat a 15# king for the big fish of the trip. The last king gave us a record of 21 for 30 something in hits The key seemed to be the speed, we had to keep the sog over 2.7mph, if we dropped below that the bite died. Also the SWR blueberry muffin rod took at least 12 hits and put 6 fish in the box

8/27/06 pm - Betting on Kings
I had called the afternoon crew to let them know the waves were not looking good, but then wanted to give it a try. So when they showed up I took them over to see how rough the lake was, but they still wanted to go. So before I had then fill out license we headed out and floated around in 80fow. They said Lets fish, we filled out the license and set rods. I set rods on a south troll and got the spread that had been working all weekend out. We had not been bit so I headed east and we picked started picking up fish. The first fish was a 12# king and that when the big fish wagers was booked. Seeing the fist fish they knew bigger fish were on the way. I took it all the way out the 130s and we had action all the way, but a freighter was heading north and I need to get out of the way so I headed back west and we had action till we got the 80's and it died so We turned and head back east with the gps showing 2.7mph and once we got back to the 90's the action took off. I took it out to the 130 mark again and by now the blueberry muffin and Kevorkian on the copper were the 2 studs, and the lead core had been quite all weekend. So I pull them both cores and put out a blue berry muffin on 1 and a stinger Kevorkian on the other. Then we turned for our east troll and once we hit 100' we only needed 2 more fish, and it died. So I figured the fish moved out on us so I turned and headed east all the way out to 130 with out a hit. Now I am trying to figure out why the bit shut down, I pulled every rod looking for a shaker, or fowled rig and found none. So I tuned and headed back west with about 30 minutes left before it was time to pull rods. Just as quick as the bite shut down it turned right back on, but we also lost the 3 fish in a row. Then we picked up the last 2 kings, but the rods kept going. So we started working on my limit, and putting rods away as they brought in fish. We had our 25 fish and 3 rods left in the water, so put the boat in neutral to keep from hooking any more fish. We ended the day 25 for 30 something

8/27/06 am - Lake Michigan Flu takes its toll
we hit the water at 5am and it was not bad out and all, and I set up in 80fow and the blueberry muffin went right to work, putting the first 4 year old in the box. Then the slide divers got in on the action, and put a few kings in the box. Then the wind and waves picked up and boat control was a challenge at times. The bite had slowed, the waves picked up and we had 2 feeling the effects so we called it a day going 12 for 18

8/26/06 pm - Just 1 short
Since our bite in the shallow water had slowed towards the end, I decided to head out to deep water and try our luck out there. I ran out on the line and set up in 160' got all the rods out and with pretty much the same spread I had been running the past 3 trips. We had a slow started and didn’t get any hit till we got out to 165' and the action was pretty consistent till we got to the 220's and then it really took off. When the bite slowed I turned and headed west and got back into the action. The SWR/blueberry muffin, Kevorkian on the copper and the slide divers with blue dolphin and the circus freak were the heavy hitters for this trip. We headed in going 29 for too many :)

8/26/06 am - Day of the kings
I had gotten a call the night before that my 6 man trip for the next morning had been trimmed back to a 2 man due to a death in the family. So I had The kid from next door mate for me, cause the way the bite had been, it would not take long to get 15 fish. So we headed out at 5am and set up in 50fow, and trolled south west with a gps speed of 2.7mph. The blueberry muffin was first to strike, but came unbuttoned. Then the green dolphin mag down 50 hooked up and we had the first king in the box. The next hit was on the glowmate jplug down 40. From the fight and how quick the fish was coming in I did not think it was too big. Boy was I wrong, we had a 22# king in the box with less then a 5 minute fish. Just about the time I see it’s a big king the blue berry muffin hooks on with a good fish as well. We then got a net on the first king and the fight was on with the second one. Then one gave us a 15 - 20 minute battle and was not giving up. It fought all the way to the net, and then some, it went 21.5 in the digital scale. Once we took a few pics - note if you keep your camera in a cool spot then take it out on a humid morning, the pic come out foggy. We got some rods back in the water and worked a south west - north east troll from 130 - 90' We had 16 in the box by 8am and decided to call it a day

8/25/06 pm - The ladies get the big kings
We hit the water a little after 2pm and set up pretty much where I had left off in the morning. I had stocked up on blueberry muffins so I put out the same spread as the mooring. The muffin spoon had slowed down, but the Kevorkian on the copper picked up the slack. I did have a dipsy that had not been bit for some time, so I made the leader 10' instead of 6' and not too much after that it start to take fish. The problem was a 10' leader with a 7' rod made netting fish a bit of a trick. By 6pm I was starting to pull lines since we had our limit, and picked up a few more, ending the day for 24 for 30 something

8/25/06 am - Kings like Blueberry muffin in the morning
We hit the water at 4:30 and set up in 70fow. I only had 2 rods in the water and we had our first bite on a glowmate J-plug down 40. After that we had a dry spell till about 5:15 and then it was lock and load. The blueberry muffin down 65 on the rigger went off every 2 - 3 minutes, but we only were able to boat about 50% of the hits. I then changed over to a 2x strong gammie treble, and set the release a bit tighter and then seems to give us a better catch rate. Blue dolphin and Kevorkian circus freak on the slide divers back 125 and 150 both were taking fish as was Blue bubble spin doctor and the blue bubble fly back 150 on the dipsy. The rigger with the green dolphin mag was good, but could not keep pace with the blueberry muffin on the swr. We were a few fish away from our limit when tragedy hit. The swr hooked up on a good fish and Bill got the rod and the fish made a few good runs then went slack. We brought in the line to find we had lost the only blueberry muffin spoon I had on board. I tried some other spoons but none turned out as good as the muffin spoon. The leadcore were pretty much dead, but the copper with a stinger Kevorkian was also a strong prouder. We had our best action from 80 - 90' from the state line to 28' going 23 for 30 something

8/20/06 pm - The calm after the storm
The 2pm start time really worked out good and the waves had already calmed down quite a bit and do so thought out the day. We set up in 180fow and trolled east. The swr with a smurf down 65 for the first to go, and was quickly followed by the white plastic and white fly down 55. That seemed to be the pattern for the day 3 - 4 hits then a dry spell then 3 - hits. The smurf on the swr was the best rods for numbers, but it was also dipping in the nursery a few times. The big fish rods were the copper with Kevorkian, leadcore with a chicken pox and the slide diver wit ha blue dolphin

8/19/06 pm - This is no walleye
iFor the afternoon trip I had a group from Ohio that fishes for walleye on Lake Erie. I headed out to the deep water bite that has been good for me in the afternoons. I had run pretty much the same spread of baits for the past 2 trips and it was still working. The first fish came on the slide diver back 150' and the drag was getting smoked. Once the counter slowed down it was at 360 something and the look of awe and these guy had never seen a fish just strip off line like that. The copper with a Kevorkian, and the leadcore with a raider chicken pox were the 2 studs of this trip. About 2 - 3 hours into the trip the sky to the north started getting pretty dark. The wind picked up and boat control was thought. With plenty of fish in the box, we decided to head in and get a early jump on the drive back to Ohio

8/19/06 am - Sacrifice to the fish gods pays off
Started the day at 5am and we set up in 60fow south of the fleet. It was not long before we had our first king in the box, that hit the swr with a smurf down 50. Then next rod to go was the glowmag mag down 40 on the rigger and it hit like a freight train that was not going to stop. I had to slow the boat down to 1.5mph just to gain some line back to keep from getting spooled. After a good 20 minute fight was boated a 21# king. Then the action slowed down so we moved out to 90 - 100fow and hit a hot spot and the fire drill started. I am still not sure what all happened, but we broke the net, lost and rod and boat 4 nice kings and lost I don't know how many others. If we would have been able to get a few rods back in the water we would have been done a lot sooner. So after getting the gear back in the water and getting a working net we had lost the marks and started to head east and pick up a few more, but the time had come.

8/18/06 pm - Quick limit
We left the dock at 1pm, and headed out to the deep water. The good thing about the deep fish is they don't move much, and we found them right where I had left them. From the graph I was able to see the temp break was around 60fow so I set the SWR down 55 with a smurf. Then set the next rigger with white plastic and a white fly down 40. Then I started on the other 2 rigger and the smurf was already hooked up. Then I set the green dolphin down 80, and a white plastic with an aqua fly down 70. Then the slide diver back 150 with a Kevorkian circus freak. The other side dipsy was a blue bubble spin doctor and blue bubble fly back 125. The 2 leads went out next with a mage chicken pox and a black baboon. The last rod in the spread was the copper with a Kevorkian stinger. We had action on all the rods, with the swr rig just beating out the copper, lead, and riggers. I started in 160 and trolled east to 200, then turned around and by the time I got to 180 we had our 3 man limit and was on the way in

8/13/06 pm - A birthday on the big lake
We got a late start and had a pretty good run out to 150fow. We got set up and it was not long before the first king was in the boat. He came on the Ludington special stingray off the lead core. After that we had a pretty good run of action off the down rigger, with a white fly and white plastic down 67 and stinger blue dolphin down 80 and the smurf down 55 on the swr. A few of the fish put of a good fight so I had turned to troll with the waves and we got into the 140's and lost the action so we headed back out to the 150' and trolled east with steady action on all the rods. Then we got some cloud clover and the bite slowed. So I changed over to some darker colored baits, and we started to pop again. The copper with a grizzly purple tourney really stood up once we got the cloud cover as well as the blue dolphin down 80 on a rigger back 30'. We had consistent action all the way out to 180. We took it to 190' the action died so we trolled west to get back to the 180's and the action picked up right on Q. Then we hooked up on the Kevorkian circus freak , back 150 on the slide diver. This tuned out to be the big fish of the day right about 16#. When it was time to pull rods one guy would sit next to a rod and it would go off, he said it was skill. We boated another king and pull another rod or 2. Then he sat on the other side of the boat and sure enough the leadcore right behind him went off. Boated that king pulled a few more rods and he went the other side of the boat. Now I am thinking he can't do it 3 times, and that is just about the time the SWR hooks up and his son gets the rod, and boats a nice Coho. With one 2 rods left in the water he tried for 1 last fish but it was time.

8/13/06 am - Seattle fishermen looking for Kings
We set up just outside the third hill and at 5am with a heavy glow program. Our first hit was on a glowmate mag down 32 on a SWR, but he spit the hook. The next hit was on the Kevorkian circus freak on the slide diver back 150' on the counter. Just about the time we net the first 4 year old, the copper hooks up with a double crush glow proking mag. Then we had a short break in the action before the leadcore with a Ludington special stingray hooked up with another good size king. Then we lost a few fish from the leadcore and slide divers. Just about the time I start to move east, the deep rigger with a blue dolphin stinger hooks up with our 4 good king of the day. We had lost our marks so we started to move east and didn’t find fish till the 130, but we got into some nice steelhead off the slide divers back 150' and 110'. Then the fleet seemed to move in on us and the bite slowed, but it was time to head in.