22 Oct 2008 11:41:00 EST
Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett today received the final report from the Senior Citizen Fire Safety Task Force, convened to address the dramatic increase in senior citizen fire fatalities. Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service (MCFRS) has already begun implementing many of the report’s 37 recommendations, including hiring a senior citizen fire safety coordinator; conducting a countywide, door-to-door initiative called “Safety in the Neighborhood;” forming community-wide partnerships to deliver safety messages and using mass media to raise awareness.
“Despite the fact that Montgomery County has one of the lowest fire death rates per capita in the country, our senior citizens are dying in fires in disproportionate numbers and we must take more aggressive action to change this trend,” said Leggett. “The Senior Citizen Fire Safety Task Force has outlined a blueprint for action to stop the alarming upward trend of senior fire- ...more
30 Sep 2008 15:19:00 EST
Thomas West Carr, Jr, age 54, has been named Fire Chief, City of Charleston (SC) Department. Chief Tom Carr, who has over 32 years of fire and rescue experience and began his public safety career in Montgomery County in 1978 as a paramedic/fire fighter and has risen through the ranks to become Montgomery County’s first Fire Chief. He had previously volunteered for several years at a local rescue squad prior to his employment. He has served as the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service (MCFRS) as Fire Chief since January 2005. He is expected to retire from Montgomery County in the near future.
In May 2003 he was appointed by then Montgomery County Executive Douglas Duncan as Chief for the Division of Fire and Rescue Services (DFRS), the highest ranking career chief fire officer. A year later, in 2004, the County Council passed new legislation reshaping the County’s fire and rescue service. After a nationwide search, Tom Carr was selected by then County Exec ...more
09 May 2008 04:31:00 EST
Three Montgomery County firefighters injured at an apartment fire on Saturday, May 4, 2008 at 12,819 Twinbrook Parkway, Rockville, Maryland remain hospitalized at the MedStar Burn Unit, located at the Washington Hospital Center, Washington, D.C.
Fire Captain/Paramedic R. Dwayne Dutrow, age 38, is a 17 year veteran. His injuries are serious and include burns to arms, legs, face and hands, as well as possible internal and orthopedic injuries. Earlier today he was moved from the Intensive Care Unit to the Burn Unit.
Firefighter/Rescuer James Heikka, age 31, is an 8 year veteran. His injuries are serious, including burns to the arm and leg, and facial lacerations. He remains in the Burn Unit.
Firefighter/Rescuer Mark Mechlin, age 23, is a one year veteran. His injuries are less serious, including burns to the leg. His burns are the least of the three, although his exposure was longer as he was the last one pulled from the building. He remains in the B ...more
09 May 2008 04:29:00 EST
Rockville man dies, three firefighters injured
and several residents rescued in early morning building fire
One apartment resident is dead, three firefighters have received serious injuries and several occupants needed rescue in an early morning fire.
Just before 1 a.m. on Saturday, May 3, 2008 units from the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service were dispatched for the report of a building fire in the 12,800 block of Twinbrook Parkway, at the Halpine Apartments, in Rockville. Moment’s later first arriving personnel and equipment encountered heavy fire conditions coming from the second and third floors of a 3-story garden style apartment building located at 12,819 Twinbrook Parkway.
As firefighters arrived some positioned themselves to initiate obvious rescues, while others began an aggressive fire attack in the structure. Additional units were requested to respond. Eventually a 3rd Alarm was dispatched bringing about 100 firefighte ...more
05 Mar 2008 08:26:00 EST
Creating a Culture of Preparedness and Safety
“Sounds of Silence – Could be Tragic”
The message is simple – Check Smoke Alarms And Have An Escape Plan.
A campaign will focus on all Montgomery County residents to be reminded to change the battery in their smoke alarm when they change their clock to reflect changing from daylight savings time to standard time this coming weekend on Sunday, March 9, 2008.
Get into a life saving habit – “Change Your Clock – Change Your Battery”.
Remember – the message is simple:
Develop an Escape Plan – Identify two ways out of each room in your home, identify a meeting place for your family outside, practice your plan at least twice a year when you change your clock. Once Outside – Account for all family members at your designated meeting place, call 911 from a safe locati ...more
12 Dec 2007 13:23:00 EST
“Keeping Kids Safe”
Fire & Rescue Partners with Safe Kids Montgomery County and
Local Car Dealership
Over 10,000 child passenger safety seats have been checked at Montgomery County’s first Child Passenger Safety Seat Inspection Station in Aspen Hill since it’s opening in 2002.
For the past five years an average of about 9,000 child safety seats have been checked annually in Montgomery County, including over 3,000 per year at the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Safe Kids car seat inspection station located in Aspen Hill. In conjunction with several local auto dealers, private businesses and Montgomery County workers, including police and fire/rescue personnel, in all, over 75,000 child passenger safety seats have been checked since a county-wide initiative was established 10 years ago in 1998. Nearly 35,000 of those checked were done in conjunction with a local car dealership.
Fitzgerald Auto Mal ...more
10 Dec 2007 19:13:00 EST
Cause of Fire Undetermined – focus on candles and/or electrical
Local firefighters revisit neighborhood this evening with safety campaign
Three members from one family died and a teenager escaped during an early morning fire in Gaithersburg on Monday, December 10, 2007. An activated smoke alarm is responsible for the escape of one occupant while mobility issues may have complicated the others exit from the burning house.
Just before 4 a.m. units from the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service were called by a neighbor for a report of a house fire at 17804 Muncaster Road, in Derwood. First arriving firefighters encountered heavy fire, engulfing 75% of the house, upon arrival. Bystanders reported that three persons were still trapped inside. Firefighters made a very aggressive attack of the fire in order to gain entry to the bedroom area where they removed and rescued two persons, 5 year old Adam Sanchez and his 75 year old grandmother, Paula Curiel ...more
10 Dec 2007 15:25:00 EST
Several recent building fires – Similar type fires, different outcome
Around 7:30 a.m. on Friday, December 7, 2007 units from the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service were dispatched for a report of building fire at 10210 Grosvenor Place, in Bethesda at the Grosvenor Park Apartments. First arriving firefighters encountered a fire and heavy smoke conditions on the 8th floor of the 17-story high-rise residential building. The building was being evacuated. A precautionary 2nd alarm was requested bringing about 75 firefighters to the scene.
The fire was quickly brought under control and the fire was confined to the apartment of origin. There were no injuries related to the fire. Several residents were evaluated with pre-existing medical conditions, but were not transported. Over one hundred and twenty-five residents, many of whom are elderly, were evacuated without incident.
Montgomery County Fire and Explosive Investigators believe the fire w ...more
10 Dec 2007 15:21:00 EST
Fire Inspectors have discovered a number of potentially dangerous appliances being sold
ROCKVILLE, Md. - Dec. 6, 2007 – Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service and the Department of Consumer Affairs would like to provide a reminder when shopping for electrical appliances this holiday season. Please take a few extra moments to locate the label from Underwriters Laboratories. If you see this label, then you know that your purchase has been tested and approved.
If the product you wish to purchase does not have the four elements shown above or only references UL on the carton or product itself, but has no company name or trademark it may not be approved. Packages with the letters “UL” side-by-side instead of staggered or the word “Approved” instead of “LISTED” or “CLASSIFIED,” are all indications that the product may not be approved. For more information regarding general electrical safety during the holiday ...more
05 Dec 2007 17:14:00 EST
Call Volume Dramatically Increased
Extinguishing cold weather fires presents unique challenges to firefighters and emergency medical responders. Not only is fire fighting a physically demanding profession, fighting fires and responding to medical emergencies in cold and snowy weather can be even more challenging for many reasons.
Ice, snow and extremely cold temperatures can impede the response to the fire or other emergency. Slippery roads and hazardous conditions affect emergency apparatus in the same manner as any other vehicle.
On Wednesday, December 5, 2007 units from the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service were kept busy by the area’s first winter snow event. For the four (4) hour period from around 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Emergency Communications Center (ECC) handled about 150 calls for service. Between 10:00 a.m. and 12 noon another fifty or so calls were handled. About 75% of the calls involv ...more