Subscribe: Uploads from Brent and MariLynn
http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=94502827@N00&format=rss_200
Added By: Feedage Forager Feedage Grade A rated
Language: English
Tags:
aka brent  bell  brent posted  building  castle heights  castle  county  historic  lebanon  posted photo  school  seemidtn aka 
Rate this Feed
Rate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feed
Rate this feed 1 starRate this feed 2 starRate this feed 3 starRate this feed 4 starRate this feed 5 star

Comments (0)

Feed Details and Statistics Feed Statistics
Preview: Uploads from Brent and MariLynn

Uploads from SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent)





Published: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:22:49 -0800

Last Build Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:22:49 -0800

 



First Methodist Church - Athens, ALFirst Methodist Church - Athens, AL

Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:22:49 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

The First Methodist Church in Athens, AL was built in 1925 in a Neoclassical style. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the George S. Houston Historic District.

The First Methodist Church in Athens, AL was built in 1925 in a Neoclassical style. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the George S. Houston Historic District.


Media Files:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2396/32985755456_640b350f51_b.jpg




Fite-Fessenden House - Wilson CountyFite-Fessenden House - Wilson County

Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:18:37 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

This building is stop #8 on the Historic Lebanon Driving tour. Here is the text from that brochure:
The Wilson County Museum is housed in the two-story Federal -style brick house built about 1870 by Dr. James Leonidas Fite who began practicing medicine in Lebanon before the Civil War.

In 1862, he was appointed surgeon of the 7th Tennessee Infantry Regiment in Virginia under the command of General Robert Hatton. In 1891 Dr. Fite’s daughter, Margaret Harsh, opened an elementary school in her parents’ home. Mrs. Virginia Wooten continued a school in the house from 1917 to 1920. In 1928, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Fessenden acquired the property for their home. Their daughter, Sallie Barry Fessenden, who died March 6, 1983, directed in her will that the house be used as a museum.

It is operated by the History Associates of Wilson County to preserve and educate about Wilson County’s heritage.

This site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

This building is stop #8 on the Historic Lebanon Driving tour. Here is the text from that brochure:
The Wilson County Museum is housed in the two-story Federal -style brick house built about 1870 by Dr. James Leonidas Fite who began practicing medicine in Lebanon before the Civil War.

In 1862, he was appointed surgeon of the 7th Tennessee Infantry Regiment in Virginia under the command of General Robert Hatton. In 1891 Dr. Fite’s daughter, Margaret Harsh, opened an elementary school in her parents’ home. Mrs. Virginia Wooten continued a school in the house from 1917 to 1920. In 1928, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Fessenden acquired the property for their home. Their daughter, Sallie Barry Fessenden, who died March 6, 1983, directed in her will that the house be used as a museum.

It is operated by the History Associates of Wilson County to preserve and educate about Wilson County’s heritage.

This site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.


Media Files:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2244/33027238425_05b930e461_b.jpg




Sailor's Warning - Knoxville, TNSailor's Warning - Knoxville, TN

Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:10:42 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

Sailor's Warning is painted steel art by Duke Oursler. This is located in Krutch Park as part of Dogwood Arts program Art in Public Places Knoxville.

Sailor's Warning is painted steel art by Duke Oursler. This is located in Krutch Park as part of Dogwood Arts program Art in Public Places Knoxville.


Media Files:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2727/32985597846_dab717d5fc_b.jpg




Jones Chipotle Pineapple SodaJones Chipotle Pineapple Soda

Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:03:48 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

I've had this for a couple of months and I'm too afraid to try it.

I've had this for a couple of months and I'm too afraid to try it.


Media Files:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3787/32871480722_1a86594c20_b.jpg




Great EgretGreat Egret

Sun, 19 Feb 2017 20:57:30 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

This common wading bird is seen in Florida.

This common wading bird is seen in Florida.


Media Files:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/549/32964687716_076a046af7_b.jpg




Lebanon, TN City Hall - Castle HeightsLebanon, TN City Hall - Castle Heights

Sun, 19 Feb 2017 20:54:49 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

From Wikipedia:

Castle Heights Military Academy was a military academy in Lebanon, Tennessee.
The Academy was founded as Castle Heights School in 1902. In 1918, it became a military preparatory school. The school ceased operations in 1986 in the face of declining enrollment. Its buildings have been restored and now the main building serves as the Lebanon City Hall, Lebanon Museum and History Center.

This building is stop #13 on the Historic Lebanon Driving tour. Here is the text from that brochure:
David E. Mitchell and I.W.P. Buchanan opened the Castle Heights School in 1902. Mitchell had just been named president of Cumberland University where Buchanan was professor of mathematics. Their idea was to create an environment unlike any other preparatory school. Students who did not live in town were required to board at Castle Heights.

The school had ninety-four boarding students and fifty-nine day students its first year. In 1917, the school changed into a military academy. Castle Heights Military Academy (CHMA) closed its doors forever August 13, 1986.

For eighty-four years the school had shaped boys, and girls beginning in 1973, but was not able to carry on, hindered by a lack of enrollment and adequate financing.

The remaining buildings of the former campus were added to the National Register of Historic Places as a Historic District in 1996.

From Wikipedia:

Castle Heights Military Academy was a military academy in Lebanon, Tennessee.
The Academy was founded as Castle Heights School in 1902. In 1918, it became a military preparatory school. The school ceased operations in 1986 in the face of declining enrollment. Its buildings have been restored and now the main building serves as the Lebanon City Hall, Lebanon Museum and History Center.

This building is stop #13 on the Historic Lebanon Driving tour. Here is the text from that brochure:
David E. Mitchell and I.W.P. Buchanan opened the Castle Heights School in 1902. Mitchell had just been named president of Cumberland University where Buchanan was professor of mathematics. Their idea was to create an environment unlike any other preparatory school. Students who did not live in town were required to board at Castle Heights.

The school had ninety-four boarding students and fifty-nine day students its first year. In 1917, the school changed into a military academy. Castle Heights Military Academy (CHMA) closed its doors forever August 13, 1986.

For eighty-four years the school had shaped boys, and girls beginning in 1973, but was not able to carry on, hindered by a lack of enrollment and adequate financing.

The remaining buildings of the former campus were added to the National Register of Historic Places as a Historic District in 1996.


Media Files:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3783/32880238671_bc4e3d6180_b.jpg




Lebanon, TN City Hall - Castle HeightsLebanon, TN City Hall - Castle Heights

Sun, 19 Feb 2017 20:48:21 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

From Wikipedia:

Castle Heights Military Academy was a military academy in Lebanon, Tennessee.
The Academy was founded as Castle Heights School in 1902. In 1918, it became a military preparatory school. The school ceased operations in 1986 in the face of declining enrollment. Its buildings have been restored and now the main building serves as the Lebanon City Hall, Lebanon Museum and History Center.

This building is stop #13 on the Historic Lebanon Driving tour. Here is the text from that brochure:
David E. Mitchell and I.W.P. Buchanan opened the Castle Heights School in 1902. Mitchell had just been named president of Cumberland University where Buchanan was professor of mathematics. Their idea was to create an environment unlike any other preparatory school. Students who did not live in town were required to board at Castle Heights.

The school had ninety-four boarding students and fifty-nine day students its first year. In 1917, the school changed into a military academy. Castle Heights Military Academy (CHMA) closed its doors forever August 13, 1986.

For eighty-four years the school had shaped boys, and girls beginning in 1973, but was not able to carry on, hindered by a lack of enrollment and adequate financing.

The remaining buildings of the former campus were added to the National Register of Historic Places as a Historic District in 1996.

From Wikipedia:

Castle Heights Military Academy was a military academy in Lebanon, Tennessee.
The Academy was founded as Castle Heights School in 1902. In 1918, it became a military preparatory school. The school ceased operations in 1986 in the face of declining enrollment. Its buildings have been restored and now the main building serves as the Lebanon City Hall, Lebanon Museum and History Center.

This building is stop #13 on the Historic Lebanon Driving tour. Here is the text from that brochure:
David E. Mitchell and I.W.P. Buchanan opened the Castle Heights School in 1902. Mitchell had just been named president of Cumberland University where Buchanan was professor of mathematics. Their idea was to create an environment unlike any other preparatory school. Students who did not live in town were required to board at Castle Heights.

The school had ninety-four boarding students and fifty-nine day students its first year. In 1917, the school changed into a military academy. Castle Heights Military Academy (CHMA) closed its doors forever August 13, 1986.

For eighty-four years the school had shaped boys, and girls beginning in 1973, but was not able to carry on, hindered by a lack of enrollment and adequate financing.

The remaining buildings of the former campus were added to the National Register of Historic Places as a Historic District in 1996.


Media Files:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2253/32190571043_636cf6091f_b.jpg







Fields-Brewer CabinFields-Brewer Cabin

Sun, 19 Feb 2017 20:37:17 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

This log house is now located at Chickasaw State Park in Chester Co., TN. Here is the text of the sign:

Originally built in the Roby community in 1876 by A.B. Fields and his wife Clearandie Stanfill Fields. Ownership was passed down to their daughter Lessie Fields Woods and then to her daughter Ruby Nell Woods Brewer.

During the Bi-Centennial Celebration in 1976, the cabin was moved from Roby to the farm of Ruby Nell and Max Brewer in the Jacks Creek area. After the death of Max Brewer, Mrs. Ruby Nell and her two daughters, Joy and Gina, decided to donate the cabin to the Chickasaw State Park.

In 1998 the cabin was disassembled and moved to this location. Parts of the original cabin could not be used because of decay, so logs were custom cut from local logs to restore the cabin.

Cost of the restoration was shared by the "Friends of Chickasaw" support group and by Chickasaw State Park. Our goal is to offer this as a memorial to the memory of Max Brewer and the early settlers of the Chester County area.

This log house is now located at Chickasaw State Park in Chester Co., TN. Here is the text of the sign:

Originally built in the Roby community in 1876 by A.B. Fields and his wife Clearandie Stanfill Fields. Ownership was passed down to their daughter Lessie Fields Woods and then to her daughter Ruby Nell Woods Brewer.

During the Bi-Centennial Celebration in 1976, the cabin was moved from Roby to the farm of Ruby Nell and Max Brewer in the Jacks Creek area. After the death of Max Brewer, Mrs. Ruby Nell and her two daughters, Joy and Gina, decided to donate the cabin to the Chickasaw State Park.

In 1998 the cabin was disassembled and moved to this location. Parts of the original cabin could not be used because of decay, so logs were custom cut from local logs to restore the cabin.

Cost of the restoration was shared by the "Friends of Chickasaw" support group and by Chickasaw State Park. Our goal is to offer this as a memorial to the memory of Max Brewer and the early settlers of the Chester County area.


Media Files:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/466/32964446216_dfda4fcd21_b.jpg




Chattoga County Courthouse - Summerville, GAChattoga County Courthouse - Summerville, GA

Thu, 16 Feb 2017 22:18:53 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

This 1909 Courthouse built with a Neo-Classical Revival design has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.

This 1909 Courthouse built with a Neo-Classical Revival design has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.


Media Files:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2502/32905856616_cd0fda2dd1_b.jpg




Chattoga County Courthouse - Summerville, GAChattoga County Courthouse - Summerville, GA

Thu, 16 Feb 2017 22:14:29 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

This 1909 Courthouse built with a Neo-Classical Revival design has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.

This 1909 Courthouse built with a Neo-Classical Revival design has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.


Media Files:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/722/32103148684_e485bda231_b.jpg




Knoxville Potter's Field MonumentKnoxville Potter's Field Monument

Thu, 16 Feb 2017 22:10:13 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

A Potter's Field is a cemetery for all of the people who can't afford a cemetery place of their own. This cemetery predates the Civil War when it was known as Belleview Cemetery. When that cemetery went out of business, the city purchased it to bury the deceased indigent population. New graves were added until 1937 when the city ran out of space here. At that time, this monument was placed by "Order of Knox County Court."

From there, the cemetery suffered decades of neglect. Dense overgrowth had covered the field making it inaccessible. At one point, some people had at least blazed a trail to the monument, but after several more years, that became inaccessible as well. Then, about a decade ago, city crews cleared out the field so that the cemetery can be remembered once more.

The monument also reads, "In Memorial of Knox County Citizens interred here." Then, there is an excerpt from Thomas Gray's "Elegy Written in A Country Churchyard"
Perhaps in the Neglected Spot is laid
Some heart once pregnant with celestial fire;
Hands that rod of empire might have swayed
Or walked to ecstasy the living lyre:

Full many a gem of purest ray serene
The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear:
Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
And waste it's sweetness on the desert air.

Some village-Hampden that with dauntless breast
The little tyrant of his fields withstood,
Some mute inglorious Milton here may rest,
Some Cromwell guiltless of his country's blood.

A Potter's Field is a cemetery for all of the people who can't afford a cemetery place of their own. This cemetery predates the Civil War when it was known as Belleview Cemetery. When that cemetery went out of business, the city purchased it to bury the deceased indigent population. New graves were added until 1937 when the city ran out of space here. At that time, this monument was placed by "Order of Knox County Court."

From there, the cemetery suffered decades of neglect. Dense overgrowth had covered the field making it inaccessible. At one point, some people had at least blazed a trail to the monument, but after several more years, that became inaccessible as well. Then, about a decade ago, city crews cleared out the field so that the cemetery can be remembered once more.

The monument also reads, "In Memorial of Knox County Citizens interred here." Then, there is an excerpt from Thomas Gray's "Elegy Written in A Country Churchyard"
Perhaps in the Neglected Spot is laid
Some heart once pregnant with celestial fire;
Hands that rod of empire might have swayed
Or walked to ecstasy the living lyre:

Full many a gem of purest ray serene
The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear:
Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
And waste it's sweetness on the desert air.

Some village-Hampden that with dauntless breast
The little tyrant of his fields withstood,
Some mute inglorious Milton here may rest,
Some Cromwell guiltless of his country's blood.


Media Files:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2521/32565784050_866265c9d3_b.jpg




Leeville, TN Train StationLeeville, TN Train Station

Thu, 16 Feb 2017 22:03:01 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

This old NCStL train depot is along Division St. in the small Wilson County town of Leeville. The tracks are all gone, and it has been relocated to use as someone's personal storage.

This old NCStL train depot is along Division St. in the small Wilson County town of Leeville. The tracks are all gone, and it has been relocated to use as someone's personal storage.


Media Files:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2770/32792758872_61a3a58fe7_b.jpg




International Friendship Bell - Oak Ridge, TNInternational Friendship Bell - Oak Ridge, TN

Sun, 12 Feb 2017 20:42:30 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

The International Friendship Bell is a gift to the United States from Japan. The other side provides the dates of Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima & Nagasaki, however, the bell was given to signify that the two countries are now share friendship and peace. As a Coincidence, I took this photo while Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe was visiting the United States.

The bell is made of over 4 tons of solid bronze, is 6.7 feet tall and 4.8 feet in diameter. This side features two bas-reliefs, with an American scene on the left and a Japanese scene on the right. Each side features a local bird chirping at a rainbow that leads to an atomic symbol.

Oak Ridge was chosen because the city was home to the Manhattan project which did much of the work to create the Atomic Bomb. The bell is located at AK Bissell Park. For many years, the bell had been suspended in a pavilion and one could strike the bell with a Japanese style mallet. Recently, the bell was losing it's support, so it lays on the ground, but can be examined close-up. There is a project to build a new pavilion at friendshipbell.com/

The International Friendship Bell is a gift to the United States from Japan. The other side provides the dates of Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima & Nagasaki, however, the bell was given to signify that the two countries are now share friendship and peace. As a Coincidence, I took this photo while Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe was visiting the United States.

The bell is made of over 4 tons of solid bronze, is 6.7 feet tall and 4.8 feet in diameter. This side features two bas-reliefs, with an American scene on the left and a Japanese scene on the right. Each side features a local bird chirping at a rainbow that leads to an atomic symbol.

Oak Ridge was chosen because the city was home to the Manhattan project which did much of the work to create the Atomic Bomb. The bell is located at AK Bissell Park. For many years, the bell had been suspended in a pavilion and one could strike the bell with a Japanese style mallet. Recently, the bell was losing it's support, so it lays on the ground, but can be examined close-up. There is a project to build a new pavilion at friendshipbell.com/


Media Files:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/538/32491358990_646ea38bc3_b.jpg




International Friendship Bell - Oak Ridge, TNInternational Friendship Bell - Oak Ridge, TN

Sun, 12 Feb 2017 20:37:55 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

The International Friendship Bell is a gift to the United States from Japan. The other side provides the dates of Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima & Nagasaki, however, the bell was given to signify that the two countries are now share friendship and peace. As a Coincidence, I took this photo while Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe was visiting the United States.

The bell is made of over 4 tons of solid bronze, is 6.7 feet tall and 4.8 feet in diameter. This side features two bas-reliefs, with an American scene on the left and a Japanese scene on the right. Each side features a local bird chirping at a rainbow that leads to an atomic symbol.

Oak Ridge was chosen because the city was home to the Manhattan project which did much of the work to create the Atomic Bomb. The bell is located at AK Bissell Park. For many years, the bell had been suspended in a pavilion and one could strike the bell with a Japanese style mallet. Recently, the bell was losing it's support, so it lays on the ground, but can be examined close-up. There is a project to build a new pavilion at friendshipbell.com/

The International Friendship Bell is a gift to the United States from Japan. The other side provides the dates of Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima & Nagasaki, however, the bell was given to signify that the two countries are now share friendship and peace. As a Coincidence, I took this photo while Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe was visiting the United States.

The bell is made of over 4 tons of solid bronze, is 6.7 feet tall and 4.8 feet in diameter. This side features two bas-reliefs, with an American scene on the left and a Japanese scene on the right. Each side features a local bird chirping at a rainbow that leads to an atomic symbol.

Oak Ridge was chosen because the city was home to the Manhattan project which did much of the work to create the Atomic Bomb. The bell is located at AK Bissell Park. For many years, the bell had been suspended in a pavilion and one could strike the bell with a Japanese style mallet. Recently, the bell was losing it's support, so it lays on the ground, but can be examined close-up. There is a project to build a new pavilion at friendshipbell.com/


Media Files:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/425/32872434605_b7ea5a6c2a_b.jpg




Robert L Caruthers Mansion - Lebanon, TNRobert L Caruthers Mansion - Lebanon, TN

Wed, 08 Feb 2017 21:46:30 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

The Robert L Caruthers house at 241 W. Main St. (US70) in Lebanon is stop #2 on the Historic Lebanon Driving tour. Here is the text from that brochure:

This fine home was built in 1828 by Henry Reiff for Robert Looney Caruthers. Reiff was also the builder of the Hermitage in 1819. Caruthers (1800-1882) was a successful Lebanon lawyer in 1827 when he was appointed 6th district Attorney General by Governor Sam Houston. His political career included election to the Tennessee House of Representatives, 1835, United States House of Representatives, 1841-43, and appointment to the Tennessee Supreme Court, 1852, replacing Judge Nathan Green Sr.

Caruthers was elected governor of Tennessee in 1863 but did not take office as Federal troops occupied Nashville preventing the General Assembly from convening. He was a founder of Cumberland University, elected President of its first Board of Trustees, 1842, and served in this office until his death. Along with his brother Abraham, he co-founded Cumberland’s law school in 1847, and served as professor of law from 1868 until 1882. Before he was elected Governor in 1863, Caruthers accepted the nomination in a speech delivered from the home’s balcony.

The home’s elegant curvilinear staircase is a feature also seen at Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage, as well as Tulip Grove, both of which were also constructed by the Caruthers home builders. The federal style home, updated with Eastlake features in the 1880s, is the earliest surviving brick residence in the city.

For many decades, the home has been owned by Ligon & Bobo Funeral Home.

The Robert L Caruthers house at 241 W. Main St. (US70) in Lebanon is stop #2 on the Historic Lebanon Driving tour. Here is the text from that brochure:

This fine home was built in 1828 by Henry Reiff for Robert Looney Caruthers. Reiff was also the builder of the Hermitage in 1819. Caruthers (1800-1882) was a successful Lebanon lawyer in 1827 when he was appointed 6th district Attorney General by Governor Sam Houston. His political career included election to the Tennessee House of Representatives, 1835, United States House of Representatives, 1841-43, and appointment to the Tennessee Supreme Court, 1852, replacing Judge Nathan Green Sr.

Caruthers was elected governor of Tennessee in 1863 but did not take office as Federal troops occupied Nashville preventing the General Assembly from convening. He was a founder of Cumberland University, elected President of its first Board of Trustees, 1842, and served in this office until his death. Along with his brother Abraham, he co-founded Cumberland’s law school in 1847, and served as professor of law from 1868 until 1882. Before he was elected Governor in 1863, Caruthers accepted the nomination in a speech delivered from the home’s balcony.

The home’s elegant curvilinear staircase is a feature also seen at Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage, as well as Tulip Grove, both of which were also constructed by the Caruthers home builders. The federal style home, updated with Eastlake features in the 1880s, is the earliest surviving brick residence in the city.

For many decades, the home has been owned by Ligon & Bobo Funeral Home.


Media Files:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2796/31952638054_0f7a8fd4f0_b.jpg




John T. Banks Building (and formerly Morgan County Courthouse) - Decatur, ALJohn T. Banks Building (and formerly Morgan County Courthouse) - Decatur, AL

Wed, 08 Feb 2017 21:44:30 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

John T Banks built this building with three stories in 1887 as a drug store. In 1891, the citizens of Morgan county voted to move the county seat to Decatur. All of the county records were moved here by horse and buggy as this building served as a courthouse until a permanent building could be completed two years later.

The building caught fire in 1915 and the top floor was removed. Then the building was used for apartments for about six decades. The building underwent complete restoration in 2002 and is now used as office space.

John T Banks built this building with three stories in 1887 as a drug store. In 1891, the citizens of Morgan county voted to move the county seat to Decatur. All of the county records were moved here by horse and buggy as this building served as a courthouse until a permanent building could be completed two years later.

The building caught fire in 1915 and the top floor was removed. Then the building was used for apartments for about six decades. The building underwent complete restoration in 2002 and is now used as office space.


Media Files:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2744/32795693085_4190041893_b.jpg




Fort DeSoto County ParkFort DeSoto County Park

Wed, 08 Feb 2017 21:42:00 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

Fort DeSoto has some great beaches mixed in with military history. To go with it, here is a nice sidewalk through the palm trees

Fort DeSoto has some great beaches mixed in with military history. To go with it, here is a nice sidewalk through the palm trees


Media Files:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2633/32755336906_7508156f07_b.jpg




Kreme Delight neon sign - Athens, ALKreme Delight neon sign - Athens, AL

Tue, 07 Feb 2017 21:04:52 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

This old fashioned burger and ice cream restaurant seemed to be a popular spot in Athens, AL

This old fashioned burger and ice cream restaurant seemed to be a popular spot in Athens, AL


Media Files:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/623/32653027761_ffdfc87423_b.jpg




NCStL Train Depot - Lebanon, TNNCStL Train Depot - Lebanon, TN

Tue, 07 Feb 2017 21:03:19 -0800

SeeMidTN.com (aka Brent) posted a photo:

(image)

The NCStL Train Station located one block south of the Lebanon town square along highway US231 is stop #2 on the Historic Lebanon Driving tour. Here is the text from that brochure:

The Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railroad Depot was built in 1916. Lebanon’s first depot was built in 1869 for the Tennessee & Pacific Railroad one mile south of the present site.

The Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railroad acquired the line in 1877. The old depot was abandoned and a new depot built closer to the Square.

This depot was used until the last passenger train pulled out of Lebanon in the 1930s. Passenger Rail Service did not return until 2006 with the Music City Star.

Today, the old station is used as offices for Shenandoah Mills. On their website, they say:
Our home is the original Lebanon Train Depot, constructed in the early 1900′s. We have completely renovated the facility to preserve and restore it’s integrity as well as to keep our equipment fresh and innovative. In 1996, we were awarded the William Baird Beautification Award and the Lebanon-Wilson County Chamber of Commerce Cedar Tree award.
shenandoahmills.com/about/

The NCStL Train Station located one block south of the Lebanon town square along highway US231 is stop #2 on the Historic Lebanon Driving tour. Here is the text from that brochure:

The Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railroad Depot was built in 1916. Lebanon’s first depot was built in 1869 for the Tennessee & Pacific Railroad one mile south of the present site.

The Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railroad acquired the line in 1877. The old depot was abandoned and a new depot built closer to the Square.

This depot was used until the last passenger train pulled out of Lebanon in the 1930s. Passenger Rail Service did not return until 2006 with the Music City Star.

Today, the old station is used as offices for Shenandoah Mills. On their website, they say:
Our home is the original Lebanon Train Depot, constructed in the early 1900′s. We have completely renovated the facility to preserve and restore it’s integrity as well as to keep our equipment fresh and innovative. In 1996, we were awarded the William Baird Beautification Award and the Lebanon-Wilson County Chamber of Commerce Cedar Tree award.
shenandoahmills.com/about/


Media Files:
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/414/32653002561_b43e11cc0c_b.jpg