Preview: Mobile GMaps News
Mobile GMaps News
Mobile GMaps - Google Maps on your mobile phone!
Development Stopped (November 27th, 2011)
Actually, MGMaps development stopped about two years ago... but never was announced on this new page. So here it is, I am no longer actively working on this project. There is a (tiny) chance the project will be revived and ported, but unless that happens you can consider the MGMaps project closed.
I have thought of porting it to Android and/or iPhone, but the work and time needed for that outweigh possible benefits -- there are many apps that provide offline maps on both platforms (including the official Google Maps on Android).
Misc news (July 14th, 2011)
- Because of high spam level, any new accounts on the MGMaps Forum are manually checked and activated by the administrator (me)... please be patient as it can take a while to filter your account through all the spam.
- Want to contribute to MGMaps development? Checkout https://svn.mgmaps.com.
- Google Maps for Android now officially supports downloading maps for offline use. One less reason for developing an Android version of MGMaps...
- For near and medium-term plans I am focusing my attention on a new venture: I have co-founded a mobile app development agency called Mobiversal. For news about our projects Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @Mobiversal.
Thanks again for your support on the MGMaps project.
Happy New Year 2011! (January 6th, 2011)
Whoa, it's been a long time since the last post here! I've been asked several times about the status of MGMaps in the past few days and realized I ignored the project a bit too long. So here are my thoughts:
- The application is still functional after more than a year without updates. Works fine on Nokia and Blackberry, as well as other J2ME phones.
- That being said, there are still many improvements that would be great to see in mgmaps: updates of map versions, better handling of offline/custom maps and map caching, support for more maps, updates for touchscreens, improved KML support, and so on.
- Several people requested a version of MGMaps for Android, see this discussion on the forum. Unfortunately there is little motivation for me to work on an Android version, considering there are many other similar apps already available for Android, including a "hack" of the official Google Maps that adds support for offline maps (called Brut maps).
- I was and am involved in several other projects. I did the J2ME/Blackberry mobile application for Trapster (recently acquired by Navteq), there are also some projects in "stealth" mode that I'm working on. I have a family that is taking a lot of my time...
In short, unless I find a way to monetize this app, get more free time to work on some extraordinary new features or find someone to invest in it, don't expect major updates any time soon. There will still be some minor fixes but that's about it.
Version 1.42.01 - Touch screen updates (August 22nd, 2009)
Changes in the new version:
- Detection of Windows Mobile was improved to enable support for GPSGate/GPSPort connectivity on all WM phones.
- Handling of up key ('u') was fixed on Blackberry. You can still use the trackball as the recommended alternative to move the map.
- Support for full-screen map on LG phones was fixed.
- An icon for switching maps is displayed again on all touchscreen phones.
- Added larger buttons for high-res touch screens (over 640x480). Tip: If map text is displayed too small on your high-res screen, enable Double size in Settings/Display.
- Map versions were updated.
Version 1.39.21 was also released and includes most of these changes.
gMapMaker v0.7.3.1 (August 18th, 2009)
A new version of gMapMaker is available, it includes a number of fixes and improvements:
- Updated map versions to fix support for all map types.
- Fixed a bug with parallel downloads
- Fixed the size of the download progress window
- Merged Damien Debin's last version (v0.7.0.0) that updates support for proxy lists and adds a Reset button to reset MGMaps settings to defaults.
- Merged Ray Gilbert's changes, he added support to select the map area to download when downloading a single zoom level.
Download it from http://www.mgmaps.com/cache.
MGMaps v1.42 (June 29th, 2009)
We have recently updated support for touchscreen in MGMaps, v1.42.00 and v1.39.20 are out with the following changes:
- Icons for touchscreen phones were changed, the application now shows a bar at the bottom for more convenient zooming.
- Other touchscreen improvements and fixes: double click to zoom in, click a placemark to view details.
- Support for internal GPS on Nokia phones was improved. Also fullscreen support for Nokia touchscreens (5800 and N97) was fixed.
- The Blackberry version fixes support for internal GPS, adds all the touchscreen improvements on Storm, and includes some other tweaks.
- Other bug fixes.
Get the latest versions from the download page.
Name confusions (March 14th, 2009)
Is this application named Mobile GMaps or MGMaps? Both actually, Mobile GMaps is the "long name" and MGMaps is the "short" one. Is there any connection between gMapMaker and Google Map Maker? No connection, just a name overlap. How is GMap-Track related to MGMaps? GMap-Track is a website that integrates with MGMaps to provide friend-tracking.
All these are rather confusing, so I'm turning to you, the users, to suggest the best way out of this. Please see the MGMaps Forum for a detailed discussion.
gMapMaker update (v0.7.2) (February 20th, 2009)
gMapMaker was updated to version 0.7.2.1. It includes a few bug fixes/new features:
- Map versions were updated to show the latest map data.
- Support for Ask maps was removed, Ask.com now uses Microsoft Live maps.
- The download window now shows a pause/resume button, useful if you are downloading a lot of maps and need more bandwidth or just want to suspend your computer.
- The cancel button stops the download immediately, instead of waiting for all download threads as it did before.
- The cancel button changes to close when the download is complete.
- Added support for OpenStreetMap Cycle Maps.
You can always get the latest version of gMapMaker from http://www.mgmaps.com/cache/. The map version updates will be added as soon as possible to MGMaps too.
P.S. I noticed today some display errors on the MGMaps homepage, all should be fine now.
Recent Updates and 2009 Plans (December 31st, 2008)
It's been a long time since the last post here. Because some people asked, let me start by saying that this project is far from dead. There were no code changes or new features added lately because I worked on some other projects, but there's still a lot of activity on the forum at http://forum.mgmaps.com. In fact you should check the forum for updates, especially related to Windows Mobile phones, stored maps and GPS support. And there's some very good news, the MGMaps project is going to be available under an open-source license... more on that in a future post.
For now, here's a list of changes and news since the last post:
- Stored maps updates:
- gMapMaker was updated to v0.7.1.9 to fix a few problems.
- There are a few other stored maps utilities on the forum, see this topic for links and tutorials.
- Updates for Windows Mobile phones:
- A few versions of Esmertec Jbed are available for download on the forum.
- GPS on Windows Mobile is available through third party applications like GPSGate (commercial) or GPSPort (free). More info... again on the forum, here or here.
- Coming soon: improved support for touchscreen devices, with larger and better arranged icons.
- If all goes well, 2009 will find MGMaps ported to more devices. We plan to improve support for Blackberry and Windows Mobile, create a PC version to display offline maps and support GPS connectivity, add support for Android phones...
- Applications based on MGMaps are starting to take form, I developed the J2ME mobile version for Trapster, a speed trap sharing system. If you want to add mapping features to an existing J2ME application or just need a new mobile app developed, contact me!
A Happy New Year to you!