Subscribe: Don't Call Me Mummy
Added By: Feedage Forager Feedage Grade B rated
Language: English
back  day  days  didn  flowers  friend  friends  good  great  kids  pretty  room  school  someone  thankful  time  today 
Rate this Feed
Rate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feed
Rate this feed 1 starRate this feed 2 starRate this feed 3 starRate this feed 4 starRate this feed 5 star

Comments (0)

Feed Details and Statistics Feed Statistics
Preview: Don't Call Me Mummy

Don't Call Me Mummy

Updated: 2018-03-05T10:07:35.522-07:00


Service is an Attitude


Today was one of those days from a song.  You know the one.  Sing it with me "Ain't nothing gonna break my stride, ain't nothing gonna slow me down."  It started with a late start for school.  Woohoo, everyone likes an extra 2 hours in the morning.  On the way to dropping the boys off at school I passed a friend who had slid on the icy roads in the neighborhood, done a 180 and ended up damaging her car hitting the curb.  I stopped and asked if they needed help but at that time they waved me on.  On my return trip I stopped again to give assistance.  This time they took me up on the offer and I moved the car over a bit and put on my hazard lights.  No Way was I going all the way to the side of the road and getting stuck so I did the best.  A man in a giant truck came up behind me and stopped, motioning to move.  Hmmm, the doors are open, kids are on both sides of the road and the hazard lights are on.  Not sure what kind of clue he needed other than those that I wasn't moving.  I waved him around me and as he passed he attempted to show how "big and bad" he was in in his truck, instead he slid on the house and made a fool of himself.  I laughed.  I dropped the family off at home and promised to return in 15 minutes to take the youngest to school when I was taking Jordan.

After the 2nd school drop off the family needed help again.  One of the boys needed to get to school so he could participate in the basketball game after school.  I head down the road only to find a woman stuck on the side of the road in her van.  I pulled over, put the hazards on, grabbed my shovel and headed to her van.  There was a garage door serviceman in his van parked behind her, just sitting in the van.  The woman was pregnant and had a small child in the car so she was unable to get out comfortably on the ice.  I gave her some instruction on how to move the car, shovelled some snow, gave a push.  The van didn't move....but the garage door guy started his van and drove off.  Seriously.  We were both shocked!  In my disbelief I figured I would go get the boys from the family I was helping with school runs and we could all push her out -she must have tried again after I drove around the corner because she managed to get unstuck. 

Once again, I had to laugh.  Here were two different men who could have ruined my day but instead it just reminded me of a lame roadshow I was in while in mutual.  Our theme was "Service is an Attitude" and you know, it's true!  Just stopping to help someone else out changed the way I could have reacted for the entire day.  Not saying I didn't have a negative thought pass my mind, because I did - but I definitely got over it faster and I'm guessing it's because I was too busy serving others. 

Oh - and I wasn't trying to "toot" my own horn.  Just telling a story. ;)  Oh, and reminding you to serve one another!

The Art of Being Offended


(image) I just had a situation occur in which I found that I had offended someone.  I had genuinely hurt their feelings, or upset this person, probably over a year ago.  I honestly had no idea.  I have been living my life as normal.  I have been going on about my daily business not knowing that someone held serious ill feelings towards me. 

This has brought me to a point that the last several days I was not even able to sleep well.  I apologized and explained my position - completely shocked at how stiff and unresponsive the person was when I began speaking.  I was under the impression she just wanted me to understand she wasn't a bad person.  I had already explained that I did not.  However, it turned out she harbored much deeper feelings than that.  I was initially angry.  I am the one who should be offended was my first thought.  I should be offended that over the past 20 years this person hadn't taken the time to get to know me so that she would have never believed what she had been told in the first place.  I was offended that she thought I knew all of the "gossip" when, in fact, I had made the initial comments that offended her without any information on the situation.  I was also offended that she never contacted me.  Instead she called someone who then called me and asked, as if it were some horrible game of telephone. 

I had to think of all of the counsel we have been given at church on being offended, or rather NOT being offended.  Being offended does not help anyone, and only hurts the one who is offended.  Like I said, I have been living my life just fine for the past year without a second thought.  This other person has had to live with this deep dislike for me.  And now, I have to be the bigger person.  I don't even want to.  Like I said, I want to be offended.  I want to write her a letter and ask HER how she could even THINK that I would support someone who has done the things that her daughter has done.  How, as a mother, I would condone the behavior that I did not even know about until AFTER I apologized 2 days ago. 

Instead, I will blog it here.  I will write a more sufficient apology.  I will offer my support where it belongs.  And I will go back to living my life as I did before.  Just do me a favor, if I ever make you that angry, let me know so you can get over it in less than 18 months.

Sometimes a Mom Gets to Brag!


See this kid?  I think he is totally awesome!  I love the  young man that he is turning in to.  He just spent a week camping with the boys from church.  We missed him but he had an awesome time.  He learned a lot about himself and he rose to many challenges that faced him on the trip.  When people ask us what the best part of living in Colorado Springs is I can honestly say the changes in this boy!  He's always been a good kid but I love seeing him do new things and make new friends.  The friend part is the biggest.  I'm sure one day I'll wonder why he's always gone hanging out with friends but for now I love it.  I love that last night at a friends house, where he was until after midnight, they had to stop their activities and all of the kids in the house - family, friend, whatever had to go in the living room for family scripture reading and prayer because the younger kids were going to bed!  Seriously - I might have to drop him off there every night at 8.  Hahaha.  I love that those are the friends he is choosing.  That he is finding his place and figuring out who he is.  I look forward to seeing what kind of man he turns in to.  Stay tuned....I think it will be good!

Long Past Due


Have you ever tried to blog something over and over and over and never actually posted it? I could probably find a few drafts in here that I've started about my brother but never posted them. I suppose we'll find out at the end if I actually press publish or not.Today is Larry's 41st birthday. April 18th and March 14th usually lead to a few extra thoughts in his direction and today was no different. I remember 8 years ago on the first Marth the 14th vividly. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon in Tucson. In Illinois the weather wasn't as nice, it may not have been snowing or stormy but there was enough leftover ice on the roads and snow on the grass to change the day drastically in both places. As the news came that he had been killed in a car accident I knew almost immediately that I would be speaking at his funeral. Strange thought probably, but it entered my mind. During the rest of the evening I racked my brain trying to remember him. Thinking that I would be speaking about him in just a few days and I couldn't remember ANYTHING. My mind was just blank. How could that even happen? How can you know someone for 31 years and then forget it all? Of course I hadn't forgotten. I won't ever forget. There are things that just stay in your mind forever, and if you know me you'll know that I remember EVERYTHING. I'm not like Poppy Montgomery on Unforgettable...but hey close enough. When I sat down in front of a computer in the hotel we were staying at, because who can write on paper with a pencil anymore, it all came together. The more I typed the more I remembered. The longer the word document got. That's a pretty good sign of a good life, I think, when there are more good stories than you have the time to tell. Rather then tell them again I think I'll just make a list of some of the things I remembered today.-When we were little his favorite song was "Rhinestone Cowboy". He was also a fan of Billy Joel's "My Life". -We shared a room for several years when we were little. Probably up until the time he was playing with matches and lit our apartment on fire. -When he was 6 he was riding his bike down a huge hill. His brakes went out or something and he crashed in to a stop sign and got a HUGE black eye. Well, it was more green because we called him "The Incredible Hulk" for a few weeks.-He was afraid of spiders. There was nothing like being at one end of the house and hearing him shreiking from his bedroom as if someone was in there trying to murder him. Just a little spider on the light switch that he, of course, didn't notice until turning on his bedroom light.-He once ditched school and broke in the house through the bathroom window. Nobody needed to call CSI to match the bottom of his shoe with the footprint he left on the bathroom wall.-While "exploring" the attic space with a few friends they fell through the ceiling leaving quite the mess in the family room.-With his cross country friends he "borrowed" the life size nativity from Trinity Broadcasting and left it on their English teacher's front lawn. They were caught by the police while returning the items....but fortunately let off with a warning AFTER being handcuffed to a stop sign to wait for their mother's to come get them. The best part of most of his little high school pranks is that they took pictures and they were always wearing their letter man jackets. Seriously - is wearing a jacket with your last name and high school on it the best idea when committing crimes? -When ditching school it wasn't uncommon to go into a local fast food joint and see that he was also there. Friends would ask "isn't that your brother?" but we would never acknowledge eachother. Turns out he had friends who didn't even know he had a sister. -He took my friend Stefani to the prom because her date bailed on her. My mom made him rent a tux and get his hair cut (see picture above). He was quite annoyed when my date showed up with longer hair then he had had to cut off!-We [...]

Staying in the Know


I have a bit of a reputation for knowing what's going on. Not just where I am currently living but where I was before. I just have to let you all know that staying in the "know" is not as easy as it may appear. This was a conversation I had a few weeks ago via text. This will absolutely make sense to those of you that know the full names. Friend: Christy T. was called as 2nd councilor for Stake Primary Presidency. Me: Sheri T.?? Friend: No Christy Hendricks Me: Do you mean H*******??? Friend: Yes, that was it!!!

Sunday Story


I have been so bad about blogging but I think I will give myself a little kickstart with a Sunday Story. I have a new little Primary class, since it is a new year, and these kids are FANTASTIC!!! We started the year out with 12 on the roll - only one of them was a girl. We are now up to 14 with THREE girls. Too fun. Today in sharing time little H sat next to me. I naturally put my right arm out on the back of the chair next to me. It's a serious habit that I never noticed until little H told me "I don't like it when adults do that." Everytime my arm would go up he would glance at me!!!!!! Next week someone else needs to sit by me because I can't handle it. He also told me, half sarcastically, "keep your hands to yourself." SERIOUSLY??? He's six. Then during classtime I have little T. He is amazing and I'm still not sure why he hasn't been called to teach primary. Who cares that he's only 6. Actually, Gospel Doctrine might be more his speed. He can take any question and he just expands upon it. These are not the regular "sunday school" answers either. H looked at me and said "T sure is serious about all of this." It's true - T is very serious about all of this and I think it's great.

Pike's Peak


I have not blogged in a few months mostly because I didn't feel like blogging through tears and being a big downer. I'm not fully adjusted to this whole idea of living in Colorado but there are some things that make it easier. It sure is nice to have my parents here and my nephew is just down the street as well. Jackson thinks it is pretty cool to actually go to the same school as his cousin. I just think it's amazing that we're all in the same place! We've spent most of our time settling in but this last weekend we did do a little sight seeing. We headed up to Pike's Peak.


This was a trip we might NEVER do again. We will probably go to Pike's Peak again but we will not drive. It had to have been the windiest uphill drive that any of us had ever been in. It is also pretty difficult to breath at 14,000 feet so as you are driving up the mountain you can feel the difference. It was beautiful if you didn't think about falling off the side of a mountain.


The trip down wasn't as bad unless you count almost getting run off the road by an ambulance. There was a charity hike up the mountain that day and I guess there were several people in need of medical assistance. There is always medical crew up at the top and they even have an oxygen room to take those that need help breathing. Well, after the charity hike the one ambulance wasn't enough. On our way down we passed one coming up and THEN we came around a curve with an ambulance headed straight for us. Some idiot in a blue car did NOT pull over for the ambulance and so he was trying to pass it just as WE came around. Nothing like a giant vehicle squeezing in between two cars on a skinny mountain road!!! Fortunately we all survived!


As we got closer to the bottom of the route we got to watch a life light helicopter land. Turns out one of the people at the top was too sick for the ambulance and at 14,000 feet the helicopter is limited on the weight it can carry so they let off one of the crew and then flew up to the top. They actually let off a smoke signal so the pilot knows where to land up there. The kids thought this was pretty cool and one of the forest rangers was nice enough to explain it all to us.

Now I'm just hoping that the rest of our adventures in Colorado are just as beautiful but not as "eventful".

Absent Blogger


Have you ever just had so much to say that you just couldn't blog? I promise I will get to some of our events over the last few months. Jordan had her first piano recital. She really loves playing the piano.Jared graduated from the 5th grade. I do have a picture somewhere, but it must be on the other computer. Strange....but here is a picture of a play he put on with his class the day before promotion. They wrote the whole play as a class and they all performed in it. He had a great time.Jackson graduated from the 8th grade. I am not sure how this happened at all!! Just last week he was holding his friend Jenna's hand as they nervously walked in to Desert Willow Elementary for kindergarten and NOW he will be headed to highschool!!Right after all of those graduations we headed to Minnesota for a friends wedding. While there I crossed off one item from my bucket list and we went to The Mall of America. The kids had a great time at Nickelodeon world and I walked the entire mall. I am pretty sure it was the first time I ever got a blister on my foot while walking at the mall.We then went to Colorado Springs. Once again - pictures are not on the computer yet so I guess I will have to add those later.At this point I think we were home for ONE week and then the boys headed to scout camp. Stew went with so Jared could go to camp this year and Jackson was all set for his second year. They all had a great time and Jared ended up getting 8 merit badges!! Jackson got a few as well and they are both well on their way to advancing in rank. Jared shared a tent with his friend Ethan and they had a great time!!While the boys were camping Jordan and I went to California to spend some time with my parents. We had fun enjoying cooler weather and going to Disneyland. We stayed with my cousin and I had to get a picture of Jordan on his bike.The travelling didn't stop there. My mom, Jordan and I then drove to Colorado Springs again. I am pretty sure I don't want to be in the car for more than an hour - and I have to say that because it takes that long just to go grocery shopping some days ;) - for quite a while. In a two week period I drove 7 hours to California and then 7 hours back to Tucson. 6 1/2 hours to Albuquerque and then 6 hours to Colorado Springs and then three days later in reverse. I would like to think the rest of the summer will be a bit more relaxed but I'm pretty sure that just the opposite is in store for me. I'll keep you posted![...]

Mother's Day...Everyone Loves Flowers


I have been married for over 18 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I have gotten flowers from my husband. A friend on facebook today shared her husbands lack of flower giving and it got me to thinking that she is not alone.

About 9 years ago I received the first of the few flowers. Yep, took him 9 years to buy me flowers. Not a big deal since several of the previous years flowers were definitely not in the budget. Well, anyway, he was out of the country on a business trip and a bouquet of flowers arrived. I can not remember if it was Valentine's Day or Mother's Day but I remember exactly what I said to my neighbor. "Stew is in England with Mark who probably bought flowers for his wife and told Stew to buy me some too." So, Stew comes home and guess who was right? Yep!!!

The next time he bought me flowers they were "I'm sorry" flowers. It was a ridiculous bouquet of flowers and I don't even want to know how much he spent on them. They would have looked better at the front of a church for a funeral or wedding than in our living room. It was like an advertisement to anyone that entered our home that he had ticked me off and was seriously trying to recover.

While out with a girlfriend one afternoon we stopped in a shop with some beautiful flowers. She picked some and so did I. As we were walking to pay she stopped and said she wasn't going to buy them because it was Valentine's Day the next day and her husband would probably buy her some. We both discussed how I was pretty safe to buy flowers since it was doubtful I would receive any. We were right.

Last year I was at my mom's for my birthday and amazingly some roses showed up. They were beautiful. I was actually quite shocked but enjoyed them. Roses are nice and I know they are the favorite flower for a lot of people - especially red roses.


Well, today is Mother's Day and yesterday I got my 4th bouquet of flowers. This time I was even more surprised. This time they were tulips. I am still wondering if he honestly KNOWS that tulips are my favorite or it was just luck. Either way I have a beautiful bouquet of tulips on my counter. Thanks Stew!!!!

Boys Will Be Boys


We've been on a pretty good run of getting "asked" or "persuaded" to leave places lately. First we were at Dairy Queen and the kids were playing. I should premise by the fact that we had entered with a crowd but the crowd had long since left and we were just visiting. The kids were playing and one picked up another and the employee told them they needed to leave because that is a liability. We packed up and left. No big deal. Another incident puts us at Chipotles. Once again, in with a crowd and staying until the place had died down. An employee walked over to the children - who were NOT playing at all but sitting nicely and chatting with each other and told them that the garbage cans were placed by the exit doors. Sort of an "encouragement" to leave. We were annoyed so we did just that.

Now, yesterday, back at the DQ the oldest child was outside hanging out with some of his friends from school. I look over just as he is about to leap frog the "thank you" sign for the drive thru - as I get up and race to the door to stop him he goes over and the sign? Well, it is offset on a cement pole. The pole stayed where it was supposed to while the sign bent under his weight - and the fact it is offset from it's support. I continued to go out and yell at him. An employee out there looked at him and then turned back to her book.

Fast forward a few minutes to where it occurs to me that the inside employee MIGHT just be on the phone with the police. I raised my voice and told her the child that bent the sign was mine. Do you see here how I did not volunteer the information when it actually occurred? Anyway, she tells the person on the phone that the child's mother is here and that she will call the owner again and call them back if he want them too. So, I get to have a chat with the owner. For some reason he is impressed with my honesty. Um, the alternative was explaining it to the police and I don't think we want to go there yet. He tells me he will come out and look at the sign and I tell him I will leave all of my contact information at the counter. Once again he is shocked I'm volunteering information.

About an hour later I got a phone call from the owner once again. He has been to his store and fixed the sign. He then says "I'm not sure how often you come in...." I tell him almost every Friday, without admitting any prior offense. He then tells me that the next time I am there to ask if he is around because he would like to buy me a Blizzard.

The moral of this story? If your kid breaks something you might just end up getting free dessert out of it. Wait, is that right?

Seven Years


Seven years ago today it was a Sunday. The weather was beautiful that day. We went to church, had lunch and we were visiting outside with our neighbors. I was outside with the kids and Stew was inside. He came out and told me I needed to come inside. I am usually annoyed by this kind of thing. Really? You can't come out here? Either way I went inside to see what important thing he had to say.He just stood there for a minute as I looked at him, probably annoyed by the ordeal. He then said "Larry died." I honestly looked at him and said "Larry who?" My brother was two years older than me. I certainly KNEW who Larry was but he isn't the only one. He was named after our biological father. There was a brief moment, the only time in my life that I HONESTLY wanted someone to be dead. I shouldn't say that I wanted someone to be dead - I wanted it to BE someone else. In the moment I came to the realization of what I was being told I was on the ground. I am pretty sure why in the movies and on TV when someone comes to tell you bad news they tell you to sit down first. I sat on the floor in my living room for a long, long time. Neighbors came in, said a few words, cried a few tears and left. I stayed on the floor. It is amazing how in a matter of seconds a beautiful day outside turns in to something else. I sat in the family room with the lights out, in silence for several hours. Hundreds of miles away the weather had never been so nice. The roads had been icy. The grass was wet and slick as ice themselves. Whatever caused the actual accident will never be known but the results will certainly never be forgotten.The evening was a haze. A good friend came and took me to the store to get out of the house and to sort of buy things to provide for my family for the next week. My husband and a close family friend in California spent hours on the phone coordinating travel plans. My kids spent the afternoon and early evening with friends and then came home. Their routine was normal. Read a story, say a prayer, go to bed.I then went to bed. The realization that I would be giving the eulogy/life sketch was very clear to me. I only had one sibling. He was gone - this was my responsibility. My mind went blank and I couldn't remember a thing. I was in a full panic that I couldn't remember a single childhood story. How could I be 9 days from my 31st birthday and not remember a thing about someone I had known my entire life??Somehow I slept, somehow I packed my things and we headed to Phoenix. I was going alone, leaving my husband and children at home. We couldn't figure out the expense or I was too out of it, I'm not sure. I flew from Phoenix to Denver where I was to meet my parents who were flying from California. I made a few phone calls, calling my great aunt who we had sent to tell my Grandmother the news. Grandma was suffering for a bit of old age memory loss but we're sure she understood for a brief moment what had happened. I called friends who cried with me while I sat in the corner of the airport. My parents flight landed and I was supposed to board their plane. I'm pretty sure if they hadn't walked off during the brief layover that I just might not have boarded. It was just too much.During all of this we were figuring out other logistics and letting people know. The "biological father" that was spoken of earlier? He decided not to come. His response was that it had been to long and that it would be to uncomfortable for everyone? Really, for EVERYONE?? You mean uncomfortable for you????? The next few days were a roller coaster of emotions. Dealing with an exwife, a new wife, a 10 year old son and a 4 month old son as well. Taking phone calls and fielding calls. Making arrangements that nobody wants to make. Writing a life sketch.It was amazing to me the moment I starte[...]

Sunday Story - Today's Top Three


3 - glad I chose the t-shirt instead of the cami under my cardigan. I did get a bit warm and I was glad I could take the sweater OFF.

2 - I learned I should throw an extra skirt in the back of the van just for those moments. You never know when a diaper decides it isn't going to hold anymore.

But really - in all that goes right and goes wrong or just goes crazy in the day there is nothing like #1.

1 - hearing a sweet little voice tell you "Hi Sister Weber". That same sweet voice also said "bye" without any persuading when Sister S. said goodbye to her on the way out of sharing time. That makes it all worth it.

Sunday Story (shhhh)


Haha I just realized as I wrote the title that it is a little too appropriate. I probably shouldn't share this today but I'm pretty sure one of my little sunbeams said a word SEVERAL times that started out with the Shhhhhhhhhhhhh. It was really hard to tell for sure....but maybe I was just trying to HOPE he wasn't shouting what I thought he was. I guess I should just be glad it wasn't in sharing time, right?

The Substitute


I'm really thinking about making an anonymous blog about my subbing adventures. But then again - I hardly keep this one up and if I am going to keep subbing will I have time for both?

Today was a crazy day subbing. First off I was asked to teach math. I know NOTHING about math. I said yes with the assumption that there would be lesson plans and that everything would be fine. WRONG! No plans. I was teaching remedial math and there were teachers aids in each of those classes. You would think this would be helpful but they didn't have any great ideas either. Fortunately one student in one class said something about a workbook. Ding ding ding - workbook it is. The next class the TA took over. Something about 3 adults sitting in the room while a 16 year old goes over a previous assignments and leads them in to completing the homework. The 4th class? We did NOTHING. The parapros said that is basically what they do everyday anyway. Really?

At the end of those classes the teacher came in and I let her know what we did with no plan. She argued that she had left them. She blamed the administration who, while teachers are taking pay cuts, are making all the money! What? You really can't tell me the substitute coordination secretary is making $$. I've seen district pay scales. She finally FOUND her lesson plans that she saved under the wrong name and admitted she sent ones from last week instead. We won't talk about the fact she was at a meeting the parapros all thought she should have opted out of when it was known that district wide we were low on subs. Oh well!

I ended the day with 2 Algebra2 classes. I barely made it through algebra so I was not much help but they all got their assignments.

The biggest thing of the day was the fact that I am SO thankful for friends who are willing to jump in and help out with my kids on a moments notice. Nothing like telling kids they can't have cell phones out while I'm texting and making calls to ensure my kid isn't stranded at school. Tomorrow - house keys will be made for the little latch key kids. ;)

Sunday Story - All About Dad


Today the little ones were learning that Jesus had a Father just like they do. We asked them what their Dads like to do. The answers?

-Play games with me
-Go to work
-Computer stuff

but the winning answer?

-Get some money and go to the store and buy Raisin Bran.

I mean really - who doesn't like cereal shopping?

Sunday Story


Oh, how I have missed the Sunday Stories. I really think now that I am working with the 3 year old's at church that I need to bring this weekly special back. The hard part is remembering all the funny things they say.

I do believe the BEST thing I heard at church was:

"Oh you silly girls, Erica, I just don't understand girls!" Really? You're 3 - at least he's figured that out early though, right?

Slacking Again


I guess I haven't gotten the New Year off to a very good start. I'll just have to do a pictorial edition of what we've been up to lately.Stew went to England before Christmas. While he was gone I went to his company Christmas party. I took the kids and we stayed the night. They swam and we had great fun. I didn't take any pictures except for this:Jackson has ALWAYS been a car guy so we had to document the sighting.There was also this set of pictures - lonely me at the party.Yes, I'm too lazy to scan it.Oh - I can't forget this one of Jackson trying to gain a few inches in height.My parents came for Christmas and on Christmas Eve we went to the museum of dead animals. I mean the International Wildlife Museum. We've been before and the kids always enjoy it.And then there was Christmas:We also went to Albuquerque for New Years and for our little friend Sophie's baptism.And then tragedy hit Tucson. I went out to UMC with my neighbor.It was really amazing being there - everyone was so quiet. It didn't feel like you were in the middle of the city. Such saddness.[...]

Band & Choir Concert


This past week Jared and Jordan had their first choir and band concert. I wasn't really looking forward to the band part of it but they didn't do too bad.

Jared plays the clarinet and he likes it so far. I hope he sticks with it because I think it will be a great activity for him. He's not really a sports kid so band is good.
There is still a bit of squeaking but it's a reed instrument and I know nothing about that. I played the flute starting in the 4th grade through all of highschool. No breaking reeds or cork grease or any of that stuff - so Jared is pretty much on his own.

Jordan is in choir. She loves singing and even more than that I think she likes the extra hour she gets during the week to hang out with her best friend Isabelle.

I have to give a shout out to the Glade's for taking pictures and actually putting them online. My camera is still in the car so who knows when the pictures I took will come off the memory card.

I am thankful


I am thankful it is the end of November. I missed a few days but I did pretty well coming up with things I am thankful for.

I think I used all my blogging brain cells this month so I may need a few days to recover. And I need some good blogging material. I'll see what I come up with in the next few days.

Only Two Days Left...


I have given each of the boys a post but as I started thinking about Jordan I was pretty sure I spotlighted her already this year. I did here when it was her birthday. So, I'll just do a short list. I'm lazy.

1. She is 1/2 girlie girl 1/2 tom boy. The girl really needs to quit skateboarding in her nice skirts though!

2. She loves to cuddle. I still tuck her in at night.

3. She loves to cook. Of course she is limited to quesadillas and grilled cheese. Oh and she makes a pretty good omelet. Someday we'll branch out with foods that don't include cheese in the middle...but why?

4. She loves to read, to sing, to dance, to do gymnastics.

5. She is fun to shop with.

6. She loves animals. Horses, dogs, cats, bugs....

7. She is a great helper and a good worker. She hardly complains and she gets the job done. I'm sure this won't last forever but I'll take it for now.

8. She loves hanging out with her brothers. However, the word of the day in our home the other day was "provoke" and she's pretty good at that too.

9. She just has awesome freckles. I'm waiting for the day she is in the bathroom with a lemon trying to get rid of them like Jan Brady.

10. She is a GIRL! Yes, I'm thankful for Jordan because she's a girl. I will admit it. While pregnant with her people would ask if I was going to keep trying for a girl if she turned out to be a boy. I would respond "no we are only having 3 but you can ask me again when I have 8 boys and I'm trying again for that girl".

--Obviously I am not capable of making short lists. Oh well!

Top 10 Reason's I'm Thankful for Jackson


Yep, I'm running out of time and I need to spread the love. I'm also exhausted from 4 days of late nights and early mornings. We'll see what I can produce.

1. He is my first baby. I won't deny that there IS something special about that first baby. Experiencing all those 1sts. I'll even forgive him for being 10 days late!

2. He has a great sense of humor. He takes his dad's dry whit and my sarcasm and uses the combination to his advantage. After parent teacher conferences once I asked him why all of his teachers think he's so great. He simply turned to me and said "well obviously they see in me things you don't". Hahaha. If you didn't know him you would think he was backtalking - the sarcasm is a gift.

3. He takes his responsibilities to heart. At his age I probably would have blown off half the things that are asked of him. He does his best to do what is expected.

4. He doesn't quit. He's a pretty hard worker when he has to be. He is also able to see more of the benefits of working.

5. His best friend is a girl. I love that. I hope it lasts because they have been friends since they were 5.

6. He is a good babysitter. Not that I haven't gotten reports that he was mean or forced them to watch tv in the other room so he didn't have to listen to them but for the most part I feel very comfortable leaving him in charge.

7. He is very open and honest. There isn't a conversation we've had that he didn't just ask what he wanted to know. This doesn't mean that as the immature mom I didn't have to run in to the other room and LAUGH AND LAUGH AND LAUGH and then come back with a straight face and answer his questions.

8. He has taken guitar lessons for 4 years. I'm thankful that he's stuck with it at times he thought he wanted to quit and I love to listen to him play. My kids have been lucky to pick up their dad's ear for music. I was in band in highschool but it wasn't a natural talent and I really can't HEAR it like they do.

9. He is frugal when spending my money. I know I said when he has his own money he tends to spend just to spend but he's learned how to shop when I'm buying and it has worked in his benefit. He picked up on what "clearance" meant pretty quickly.

10. He has a tender soul. There have been times I've said something and realized that it just cut a bit too much. He wants to please and when he realizes you are disappointed you can see how sad it makes him. I love that he cares. I love that he will still cuddle on the couch. I could go on and on but I am just thankful he is a part of our family.

New Friends


I am thankful for new friends. There is nothing like taking the leap and saying "hey let's go shopping" or whatever and then having a ton of fun. I am really bad at this. I think I overthink it too much and then in my head it turns in to something else. Yes - I am neurotic. OK, maybe that's a bit much but sometimes it seems to be true. Just the other day a friend on facebook mentioned she wanted to get out of the house and so I jumped and asked "where". Next thing you know she's on her way to pick me up and I am sitting her wondering - did she say yes because it's out there on facebook and she doesn't want people to think she's a jerk? These are the things that go through my head. Either way - we did go out, we shopped, we laughed, we had fun.

I am not sure what my hang up is about making friends. I have to REALLY set the goal. When we lived in England I made it a point to be social. I seriously told myself I was going to meet people. I was going to be different - and when I say this I really mean at church. I have made friends at the park. I have friends who are my neighbors. It's the church friends I suck at. So, in England I was different. There were even new families in the ward that would comment that I was the first person to welcome them at the door - I will admit I was probably just stalking someone to teach primary that day - but I would also immediately introduce myself and go on from there. I think when we moved back to Tucson I just fell back in to my old ways. I did move back in to a ward that I had already been in before. There were faces I recognized. Groups I knew I probably didn't fit in. So, the cycle continued.

I think I need to go back to being social. Jumping out there, introducing myself. It really is more fun and I could always use more friends.

Happy Thanksgiving!!


Today I am thankful for family, friends and good food. I'm also thankful my mom taught me to clean as I cook so my kitchen is not a disaster. I'm thankful for friends that bring pies and rolls since baking is not my strong suit. I'm thankful for neighbors that accept the invitation to stop by when they get back from the thanksgiving feast they were invited to. I'm also thankful for 6 kids who get along great and spend the day playing together, or in pairs, instead of complaining of being bored or arguing with each other. I'm also thankful only 1/2 those kids are mine!

I hope you all had a great thanksgiving!!

Top 10 Reasons I Am Thankful For Jared


I guess I better keep track of these kid posts because I'm running out of November thankful days. I'll get the other two in there.

1. He is just an easy going kid. He was born layed back. I think he realized I had my hands full chasing his brother around so he was always content to just sit back and watch.

2. He just has a different thought process. What I mean is he thinks about things that my other kids would never be concerned about. Sometimes he will think about something for days before he will bring it up for discussion. When he was three he had an in depth discussion with my brother about pickles. The next day he said "we should talk about pickles again". My brother told him they could talk about other foods too.

3. He is a collector. As much as it drives me NUTS I also have grown to love it. You know if you see a sparkly thing on the ground or an odd piece of paper or a cool stick or rock he WILL pick it up. Sometimes you have to yell - DON'T before he gets his hands on it. He had a collection of wood chips for a while - I threw them out when he was at my moms.

4. He is a Grandpa's boy. It's actually sort of odd because the other two could hang out with Grandma all day long. He went and stayed with my parents and my mom was shocked thinking she would have someone to hang out with. Nope - he went everywhere with my dad.

5. He is a great reader. This took a LOT of work. In the early days I thought someone might lose a life over trying to learn how to read. It was painful. Very painful. I'm still not sure how it happened but he is a great reader and he loves to read. He is on book 5 of the Harry Potter series and has encouraged his friends to also read them - boys that haven't even seen the movies.

6. He is frugal. When my other two have money they just HAVE to spend it. If Jordan has a dollar she's in the dollar section at Target searching for something. Jared will go to Target several times and also search online until he has finally decided what he really wants. Jackson will just buy something to buy it.

7. He is happy to play alone. He will be in his room for hours playing with lego's or GI Joe or his other toys. Of course on the flip side I've gone in to his room and noticed that every GI Joe is strategically placed to shoot whoever entered. It's like Toy Story in there.

8. He still uses words he learned in England. He also still pronounces the letter H as "haytch".

9. He is a trivia buff and loves history. Even when he was having a really hard time with school he would retain stuff that was shocking. We could travel to some castle or historic area in England and say "hey Jared what's the difference between the anglo saxons and the normans" and he would explain it. It always amazes me.

10. I'm just thankful for him because of who he is. There have been many times that we've said "well that's just Jared" but it is. It's like he is his own definition.

Finally....Well, Almost!


I submitted my application to be a substitute teacher in our school district back in September or maybe even last August. It took some hoops to jump through just to get a state certificate to substitute teach and then to file all the information. I was then told I needed to wait for an interview. I have never been interviewed to substitute teach but I suppose there is some merit to it. Of course the first time they called for an interview I was going out of town that day. They do them in a group so I then got the impression it was more like an orientation, not an interview. Either way I waited for the next call. On Friday I got the call that my interview time would be today. I went to the district office and sat with 5 other people. We all followed the substitute coordinator and another woman from human resources in to a conference room. It was then explained that we would all be interviewed together and that we would all receive the same questions. For a minute I thought they were just going to hand us the packets and let us fill in our answers. Nope! I was at the top of the list so had the luck of answering the first question. There were several times that someone would answer and you would go OH MAN WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT??!! There were other times someone would answer and you could see eyes rolling from the others being interviewed. Or maybe I was the only one rolling my eyes at the guy who kept name dropping. You know what - I could name half the teachers at both schools my kids go to but I'm pretty sure they aren't interested in that.

So, if you noticed I said ALMOST. This is where the best part comes in. This was only an interview. I now have to see if I made the cut and in 2-4 weeks I might be lucky enough to get a call back for a 3 hour orientation. I'm not sure what they are going to fill three hours with. I'm sure I'll let you all know when it happens. Right now I'm just thankful that I finally had the interview and now I'll just wait for the next go round.

I'm also thankful for the friend that picked Jared up after school. (Because, of course, they scheduled the interview right during school pick up time.)