Subscribe: Comments on: Wine: you CAN take it with you when you go!
Added By: Feedage Forager Feedage Grade B rated
alcohol  back  bottle  bottles wine  bottles  box  bring back  declare  duty  greg mclaughlin  pay  state  tax  travel  wine  wines 
Rate this Feed
Rate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feed
Rate this feed 1 starRate this feed 2 starRate this feed 3 starRate this feed 4 starRate this feed 5 star

Comments (0)

Feed Details and Statistics Feed Statistics
Preview: Comments on: Wine: you CAN take it with you when you go!

Comments on: Wine: you CAN take it with you when you go!

wine talk that goes down easy

Last Build Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 07:58:49 +0000


By: Chris Summers

Sat, 09 Mar 2013 23:28:07 +0000

My wife and I travel extensively for her work and always bring back 24-30 bottles. Last year we made 2 trips to Australia where great wines are relatively inexpensive. Since we fly business/first we can each check 3 bags so I designed 2 aluminum travel cases with padded inserts that safely carry 12 bottle in each. I also through in a few of those neoprene sleve carry totes for bottles going into my suitcase and have also wrapped bottles in rolled up clothes and never had any breakage. We always declare what we are bringing and I have the receipts should they want to access any duty but we have never had any CBP agent want to take the time to do that and they just wave us through!

By: Greg Mclaughlin

Tue, 20 Nov 2012 05:33:58 +0000

Randy, There are a few details that need to be clarified if you would like to give me the opportunity. I would appreciate it. Please contact me at Sincerely, Greg Mclaughlin

By: Randy

Tue, 20 Nov 2012 04:31:08 +0000

My experience with Wineflite was horrible. It was 3x the cost of other services I have used, and my last shipment took 3 weeks to arrive U.K. to U.S.A., the online tracking information was never updated even after it finally arrived, and they never responded to my email inquiries as to where my wine was. Too add insult to injury, after I had paid and the wine was in transit, they tried to get me to pay more for faster delivery. I have used Parcelforce to ship from the U.K. to U.S.A. and the wine typically arrives in just three days a 1/3 the cost of Wineflite. I will never, ever use Wineflite again.

By: Martin Poppe

Fri, 20 Jul 2012 22:19:16 +0000

I visit family in Austria twice a year and bring back 6 bottles of wine in my suitcase. My friend's vinyard ships wine locally to stores in unpadded boxes of 6 bottles. I bring with me bubble wrap that has a light adhesive on one side. I wrap each bottle with a single layer and put them back in the box which then bulges out a bit. Finally I wrap tape around the box. I then "float" the box in the center of my suitcase. TSA has opened the box on occasion, but they retape it. Interestingly the wine, which comes right from the cave, is not labled. I have never had a broken bottle. I have never paid duty and have alway declared the wine plus the occasional bottle of schnaps. One agent said anything less than a case is OK. Living in the north I sometimes fly out of Canada. Only once was I hasseled as to whether my plans included giving the wine to someone in Canada (all I wanted after 18 hours of travel was home in the USA and bed), but in the end I did not pay duty.

By: Greg Mclaughlin

Sun, 01 Apr 2012 22:39:24 +0000

You need an inventory at the very least that includes winery, type wine, alcohol%, and value.

By: Tyler-Rose

Sun, 01 Apr 2012 13:14:58 +0000

I'm going to returning to Los Angeles from a trip to Italy and France in about a month. I've already bought 3 bottles of wine (and will probably be getting more), but haven't been able to communicate to the sellers that I need a receipt. Assuming customs DOES ask me to fill out the paperwork and pay the duties, what do I do with no receipts? I've recorded all of the costs, so will that work or do they need something more legitimate?

By: Wine: you CAN take it with you when you leave France! « Delectable French Things

Mon, 23 Jan 2012 00:37:32 +0000

[...] [...]

By: Charlie

Sat, 21 Jan 2012 16:13:21 +0000

Yes, you do need to declare it on the form you fill out. No one is going to ask or check your age, so I would suspect no issue, but cannot guarentee it.

By: Ally

Sat, 21 Jan 2012 05:36:47 +0000

Hi =D I'm leaving for France in a week and I plan on bringing some goodies and wines back with me to California and I was wondering what I had to do on my way back when I take the wines and goodies back. Do I declare it? Or not? It's probably going to be no more than 4-5 bottles of wine. I'm also 19 sp legally in the US I'm not allowed to buy it, so would this be an issue? Do I just declare the wines? Do the goodies matter? They're just going to be like cookies and candies. Please and thank you!

By: gola and silver bullion

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 08:53:37 +0000

Wine is not subjected to the raw food ban (don’t even think of bringing back unpasteurized cheeses, jamón, prosciutto, or a lot of other fun things) so it’s really just the dollar amount that’s the issue from what we’ve heard, if the value of the wines is over a large amount (maybe $1,000) then you might have to pay an import tax as the authorities might think that it’s not for personal consumption.

By: criminal law attorneys

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 08:50:35 +0000

As general rule of thumb (and keep in mind we have no legal authority in this matter) what we’ve heard is that whatever you can pack and bring back is fine as long as you declare it and say that it was a gift. The agents should charge an import tax in much the same way as other ‘luxury’ items you might have purchased, but they usually don’t bother when it’s below a case as the tax collected would be quite low.

By: attorney reviews

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 03:24:05 +0000

Duty is generally 3% of value and the IRS excise tax is generally between 21-31cents per 750ml bottle of wine, 75 cents for Champagne, and $2.75 hard liquor.

By: small business loans

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 03:17:44 +0000

Most States restrictions on the amount of alcohol that can be brought into that State apply only to residents of that State. Usually people transiting a state are not subject to those restrictions, but sometimes regulations change, and if this is a matter of utmost importance to you, you can check with the state Alcohol Beverage Control Board where you will be arriving to find out what their policies are.

By: Electric cars

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 03:14:41 +0000

Generally, one liter of alcohol per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes.

By: Marybeth

Thu, 29 Dec 2011 17:21:43 +0000

Darfur, Did the airlines say that it was allowable to carry on wine for international travel or just domestic within the USA? Thank you.