Subscribe: Brits in Crete :: The Law
Preview: Brits in Crete :: The Law

The Law

Brits in Crete :: A Guide to Living in Crete, Greece for British and Irish Ex-pats. Exploring the reality of Life on Crete, from finding a job, purchase a home, retire, how to handle the Greek bureaucracy plus day-to-dy information. The

Last Build Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 18:39:43 +0000


Corrigendum to EU Directive 2004/58/EC

Sun, 06 Nov 2011 08:27:48 +0000

Corrigendum to Directive 2004/58/EC Corrigendum to Directive 2004/58/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on theright of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of theMember States amending Regulation (EEC) No 1612/68 and repealing Directives 64/221/EEC, 68/360/EEC,72/194/EEC, 73/148/EEC, 75/34/EEC, 75/35/EEC, 90/364/EEC, 90/365/EEC and 93/96/EEC (Official Journal of the European Union L 158 of 30 April 2004) EU Directive 2004/38/EC - Free Movement - Link to the original document Directive 2004/58/EC should read as follows:DIRECTIVE 2004/58/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCILof 29 April 2004on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely withinthe territory of the Member States amending Regulation (EEC) No 1612/68 and repealing Directives64/221/EEC, 68/360/EEC, 72/194/EEC, 73/148/EEC, 75/34/EEC, 75/35/EEC, 90/364/EEC,90/365/EEC and 93/96/EEC(Text with EEA relevance)THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND THE COUNCIL OF THEEUROPEAN UNION,Having regard to the Treaty establishing the European Community,and in particular Articles 12, 18, 40, 44 and 52thereof,Having regard to the proposal from the Commission (1),Having regard to the opinion of the European Economic andSocial Committee (2),Having regard to the opinion of the Committee of theRegions (3),Acting in accordance with the procedure laid down in Article251 of the Treaty (4),Whereas:(1) Citizenship of the Union confers on every citizen of theUnion a primary and individual right to move and residefreely within the territory of the Member States, subjectto the limitations and conditions laid down in the Treatyand to the measures adopted to give it effect.(2) The free movement of persons constitutes one of thefundamental freedoms of the internal market, whichcomprises an area without internal frontiers, in whichfreedom is ensured in accordance with the provisions ofthe Treaty.(3) Union citizenship should be the fundamental status ofnationals of the Member States when they exercise theirright of free movement and residence. It is thereforenecessary to codify and review the existing Communityinstruments dealing separately with workers, selfemployedpersons, as well as students and other inactivepersons in order to simplify and strengthen the right offree movement and residence of all Union citizens.(4) With a view to remedying this sector-by-sector, piecemealapproach to the right of free movement and residenceand facilitating the exercise of this right, thereneeds to be a single legislative act to amend CouncilRegulation (EEC) No 1612/68 of 15 October 1968 onfreedom of movement for workers within the Community(5), and to repeal the following acts: CouncilDirective 68/360/EEC of 15 October 1968 on the abolitionof restrictions on movement and residence withinthe Community for workers of Member States and theirfamilies (6), Council Directive 73/148/EEC of 21 May1973 on the abolition of restrictions on movement andresidence within the Community for nationals ofMember States with regard to establishment and theprovision of services (7), Council Directive 90/364/EECof 28 June 1990 on the right of residence (8), CouncilDirective 90/365/EEC of 28 June 1990 on the right ofresidence for employees and self-employed persons whohave ceased their occupational activity (9) and CouncilDirective 93/96/EEC of 29 October 1993 on the right ofresidence for students (10).29.6.2004 EN Official Journal of the European Union L 229/35(1) OJ C 270 E, 25.9.2001, p. 150.(2) OJ C 149, 21.6.2002, p. 46.(3) OJ C 192, 12.8.2002, p. 17.(4) Opinion of the European Parliament of 11 February 2003 (OJ C 43E, 19.2.2004, p. 42), Council Common Position of 5 December2003 (OJ C 54 E, 2.3.2004, p. 12) and Position of the EuropeanParliament of 10 March 2004 (not yet published in the OfficialJournal).(5) OJ L 257, 19.10.1968, p. 2. Regulation as last amended by Regulation(EEC) No 2434/92 (OJ L 245, 26.8.1992, p. 1).(6) OJ L 257, 19.10.1968, p. 13. Directive as last amended by the2003 Act o[...]

Driving Licence Renewal, Greece

Sat, 27 Aug 2011 23:00:00 +0000

Renewing a Driving License in Greece 

Pro's and Con's as Spelled Out in the Brits in Crete Forum
When I move to Crete, Do I Keep the British Drivers Licence and Renew?
How Do I Change to A Greek Driving Licence?
Brits in Crete Members Respond!
Taken from the Brits in Crete Forum Postings 


Question: Can anyone tell me what you do: If your British driving license runs out while you are living in Crete? As the new plastic ones we now have, have to be renewed every 10 years.

Brits in Crete Member Response : You need to check this with the DVLA, but I am almost sure they will tell you you have to apply for a new one in the country where you are now resident, i.e. Greece. Getting a Greek driving licence is a boring lengthy procedure but not that difficult. Your local KEP will guide you through it, tell you what documents you need, etc. Be prepared to it to take a while, and to involve umpteen trips to different offices, and you'll get there eventually. Kalo taxidi!


EU Directive 2004/38/EC - Free Movement

Sun, 06 Nov 2011 08:05:35 +0000

Directive 2004/38/EC - Freedom of Movement   The Union has adopted a Directive on the right of citizens of the Union to move and reside freely within the Member States, which brings together the piecemeal measures found in the complex body of legislation that has governed this matter to date. This Directive 2004/38/EC will have to be transposed to national legislation by 30 April 2006. Greece formally ratified into Greek law EU Directive 2004/38/EC with publication in the Government Gazette on June 21, 2007 of the Presidential Decree 106/2007 . The decree was signed by then President of the Hellenic Republic, Karolos Papoulias. - Notes by Brits in Crete Team   The new measures comprised in this Directive are designed, among other things, to encourage Union citizens to exercise their right to move and reside freely within Member States, to cut back administrative formalities to the bare essentials, to provide a better definition of the status of family members and to limit the scope for refusing entry or terminating the right of residence. The Directive merges into a single instrument all the legislation on the right of entry and residence for Union citizens, consisting of two regulations and nine directives. This simplification will make it easier not only for the general public but also for public authorities to exercise their rights. The Directive also sets out to reduce to the bare minimum the formalities which Union citizens and their families must complete in order to exercise their right of residence. General provisions This proposal is designed to regulate: • the conditions in which Union citizens - and their families- exercise their right to move and reside freely within the Member States; • the right of permanent residence; • restrictions on the aforementioned rights on grounds of public policy, public security or public health. I- Right to move and right of residence for up to three months All Union citizens have the right to enter another Member State by virtue of having an identity card or valid passport. Under no circumstances can an entry or exit visa be required. Where the citizens concerned do not have travel documents, the host Member State must afford them every facility in obtaining the requisite documents or having them sent. Family members who do not have the nationality of a Member State enjoy the same rights as the citizen who they have accompanied. They may be subject to a short-stay visa requirement under Regulation (EC) No 539/2001. Residence permits will be deemed equivalent to short-stay visas. For stays of less than three months, the only requirement on Union citizens is that they possess a valid identity document or passport. The host Member State may require the persons concerned to register their presence in the country within a reasonable and non-discriminatory period of time. II- Right of residence for more than six months The right of residence for more than six months remains subject to certain conditions. Applicants must: • either be engaged in economic activity (on an employed or self-employed basis); • or have sufficient resources and sickness insurance to ensure that they do not become a burden on the social services of the host Member State during their stay. The Member States may not specify a minimum amount which they deem sufficient, but they must take account of personal circumstances; • or be following vocational training as a student; • or be a family member of a Union citizen who falls into one of the above categories. Residence permits are abolished for Union citizens. However, Member States may require them to register with the competent authorities within a period of not less than three months as from the date of arrival. Proof of registration will be issued immediately on presentation of: • an identity card or valid passport; • a declaration by the citizen that he meets the aforementioned conditions, or any other evidence to be determined by him or her. Family members of [...]

Importing a Car to Crete

Sat, 27 Aug 2011 23:00:00 +0000

Importing a Car to Crete and Greece


Importation of a car to Crete in Greece comes under the supervision of the "Directorate for the Supervision and Control of Cars" - DIPEAK in Piraeus, the port suburb of Athens and covers the whole of Greece.

Officially, no Greek VAT or Consumption Tax should be paid on second hand vehicles imported from another EU country into Greece. But the bet is, you will fail to provide complete paperwork in a very complex area thereby triggering the need to come to some sort of arrangement with the local tax office where you will be residing. (Later down the page see the Greek Embassy in London section for details and a recent experience.)

It is highly probable that any assessment made on a vehicle you wish to import to Crete will seem very high.


Importing a Classic Car

Sat, 27 Aug 2011 23:00:00 +0000

Import a Classic MGB Sports Car
to Crete and other Destinations in Greece from UK

Helpful Advice on Importing an MGB Classic Sports Car to Crete and Other Places in Greece

This is a thread on classic cars in the Community Forum from February 2007. This is just one of many interesting topics for the foreign community Living in Crete - part of the Brits in Crete web portal, the comprehensive guide to residing in Crete. Are there import duties and taxes? What are the import regulations? Are the Greek local government offices prepared? Are the roads in Crete accessible for a low slung car body? Does that mean a road map of Crete is needed? For some of the answers read on:

Question : Is It Worth The Trouble of Bringing An MGB Sports Car to Crete?

Hi, we are at last in a position to escape to live in the sun. I was wondering if any of you have imported an MGB sports car. I am hoping to bring mine with me. It is a 1976 model, how do the authorities view old classics as far as tax etc. I just feel that it would be rather nice to have over there. Maintenance is no problem as I have been in the motor trade all my life. Thanks in advance.


James Wood Case against EU

Sat, 27 Aug 2011 23:00:00 +0000

The Principle of Non-discrimination in Europe 
Briton,  James Wood Wins E.U. Case



Attorney at the Supreme Court of Greece, LL.M.
Specialist in International and Business Law


A Briton, James Wood won a landmark case over Discrimination against the French authorities in the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg. In this article, written in November 2008, Mr Iliopoulos, using the Wood vs France case, explains to British, Irish and other European Union nationals living, working or just visiting another one of the 27 countries in the EU that their rights are inseparable from the nationals and citizens of the host nation they are in, such as many Brits in Greece.


One of the fundamental rules of European law is the prohibition of discrimination based on nationality. In plain words this means that a citizen of one Member State of the European Union (EU), who lives, studies, works or simply travels to another Member State of the EU, enjoys the same rights as the citizens of the host Member State.


Registering a Birth for Brits

Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:32:22 +0000

Registering a Birth For Brits
Author: British Embassy, Athens

Greece - How to Register a British Birth


Registering a Birth for Britons in Greece or Cyprus when the child is born to a British national is automatically considered a British citizen, provided that one or both parents were born, naturalised, registered or adopted in the United Kingdom.

Registration of a birth (for a British Birth Certificate) while British parents are in Greece or Cyprus is optional.

If a British birth certificate is required, the following original documents need to be produced at the Consular Section of the British Embassy in Athens or British consulates around the country:

  • * the child’s Greek birth certificate (ΛΗΞΙΑΡΧΙΚΗ ΠΡΑΞΗ ΓΕΝΝΗΣΗΣ)
  • * the parents’ marriage certificate (where appropriate)
  • * one or both parents’ long version British birth certificates or certificates of naturalization/registration.


UK Passports - How to Apply from Greece

Sat, 27 Aug 2011 23:00:00 +0000

New Way to Apply for A British Passport

For Ex-pats in Crete/Greece and Anyone Else Outside the UK

Q: Is the new Passport Application Process now in effect?
A: Yes, Since April, 2011 as informed by the "Identity and Passport" Service in London.


For those UK Ex-Pats who are living, working or in retirement in Greece you should be aware that from April 1, 2011, there are yet more changes in how to apply for a British passport. It is all because the British passport issuing functions of the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office have been taken over completely by the "Identity and Passport" Service based in mainland UK.

In May 2010, British passport holders in Greece were told that to renew or apply for a regular passport they were to contact the British Embassy in Athens in the first instance while a regional British Passport processing centre in Madrid, Spain would be the actual issuing location.