Subscribe: Don't just sit there...Knit something!
Added By: Feedage Forager Feedage Grade B rated
Language: English
back  bit  day  felt  great  miles  mom  new  people  pretty  team  time  today  training  visited  walked  yarn  year 
Rate this Feed
Rate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feed
Rate this feed 1 starRate this feed 2 starRate this feed 3 starRate this feed 4 starRate this feed 5 star

Comments (0)

Feed Details and Statistics Feed Statistics
Preview: Don't just sit there...Knit something!

Don't just sit there...Knit something!

Updated: 2018-03-06T08:47:57.121-08:00


2011, plans I have.


Hi there!

I'm going to use the blog to document what I've done towards my New Years Resolution.
It's a lofty goal, de-clutter and get "rid" of one thing a day.

Recap for the past 4 days:

Took donation yarn to Senior Center
Had old disposable camera's developed
Donated old shoes
Finished a small shawl.

And I got a tattoo.

I think 2011 is off to a good start!

Rock and Roll here I come



This boy is my main reason to do these events.
His name is Kyle, he is part of twins and his mom is coming to San Diego with me in THREE days!
He is 3 years old and a trooper.
Denise and I will do a half marathon in his honor, he will undergo chemo this week right before she leaves.

Miracle Miles


Every season Team puts up a mock event complete with race bibs and shoe tags to simulate race day.There's a finish line and a medal as well as a lot of cowbells when you cross that finish line.Quick Coach preview of the day to a very attentive crowd.Coach Janna explaining the virtue of salt shots.She was my coach for 3 seasons but powers that be decided to split the Team because we were so spread out geographically. So Janna ended up in the North Bay and we got a new coach.She and her co-coaches are great though.We have the best coaches.Lisa,Ahmad,Marsha,Patti, Marnie and Janna in action.Support Staff rocks too!We did a little warm-up, a short stretch and then it was time for some mileage.I had to walk 10 miles.The weather was glorious as usual, the course very familiar too.At mile 4 I stopped and chatted with the waterstop people and we were treated to this incredible sight.I loves this place for it's wide open spaces, but there is also a dislike for it being so open to the elements.It does remind me a lot of the Netherlands.This part is stunningly beautiful, the vista's to the foothills change by season and in spring more so because the smog hasn't set in.Very random but this chicken was walking around the trail and in a tree when I walked past it the 2nd time.We take direction well!Partners in crime, Gerry and Doreen. Captain and Mentor respectively.Randi and Colleen, Mentors and Married. (she is a saint!)And then we were done, my feet hurt terribly but I had a blast and felt very connected to the cause.So many of our honorees were there and it was great to see old fiends. Exchange hugs and laugh about past antics.As soon as our pictures are posted I'll add it, me crossing the finish line. Smiling even![...]

Closure in a way


After my mom passed away and I came home I went to my favorite Yarn Store and wanted to buy some yarn for socks.
I was chatting with a friend, reached for what I thought was the yarn I wanted and proceeded to the register.
Now if you know me you are shouting out my favorite color/colors and did you come up with hot pink and black?
No, right?
Blue, teal, orange, green anything but pink!
Well my friends in my hand I had a skein of Blue Moon Fibers, Socks that Rock in the color-way "Hard Rock".


Every color (except black) that really doesn't float my boat much.
I decided to keep it and knit myself a pair of socks.

I dubbed them my "mama socks" because if I think of my mom, her wearing pink and rocking it came to mind.

I knitted on them pretty much over the summer and finished one sock by September.
Then my mother in-law passed away and the mama socks were too much for me so I put them away.
I finally started up again in January and knit on them a bit here and there. Not anywhere near to making them done though.
Then 2 weeks ago my grief councilor and were talking about my hesitancy in finishing these socks.
Somehow I didn't want to but I knew I had to.
So I set myself out to finish them once and for all.
Today I did the last stitches and here is the result.



They are lovely and I've been wearing them today since they were done. I must say I feel a bit empty that the knitting on these is done but relieved I could finish them.
I have finished this chapter of my grieving and can go on to the next now.

Time to face the music so to speak.


On the 21st we had our higher mileage training in Santa Cruz at Natural Brigdes State Park.I've only been there once with TEAM and loved it right away. The ocean is my element.I started off towards the end of the pack for a reason, I wanted to talk to one of my mentees and wasn't in the mood for speed just yet.Our walk led us along Highway One with the ocean to our left. It was by far the best weather for a long walk, sunny but not too hot with a little breeze.We walked for four miles and I had to leave my mentee behind, the need for speed all of a sudden hit me and I needed to go a bit faster.By Mile 5 and a bit I hit a little bit of hills and started to feel deflated. My mood began to deteriorate and I was thinking about the amount of walking I still had from that point on and the fact I felt so slow.I ate a bit and walked on listening to my iTouch. As if by miracle over the next 2 miles a few songs came on that dragged me through and out of the slump.First it was "To where you are" by Josh Grobin, it was as if my friend Kate was nudging me. This was always one of her favorite songs and the words lifted me up to the point I felt as if she was telling me from above I could do it.I stretched a bit, called my kids and moved on.By now I had returned to Highway 1 and was getting closer to the State Park again.Just as I was starting to feel that little *zing* of everything falling in place the "theme" song for Team in Training came on. They play a video set to this song every year at kick-off and every year I have to cry.It's "I can go the distance"I rounded the corner and saw my TEAM mates cheering me on and the ocean was right there and those last 2 miles all of a sudden were very do-able.And I'm not making this up but "What a Wonderful world" by Louis Armstrong came on as I walked along the ocean and in a way my father in-law was with me for a bit too.Santa Cruz is so funky, this was very random art on the side of stairs.The day was perfect, I learned to trust myself a bit more, the weather was incredible and I walked 10 miles![...]

Once more, with gusto!


One day after coming back from Seattle I signed up for another season with Team in Training.
I've raised around $9000 in 2 seasons for research.

I'm in 100% and I hope with help from my friends we can make a difference and help find a cure for blood cancers.

Today was a big day in history.


Not only was today the last day of my 47th year, it also marked the beginning of a new era.
A man by the name of Barack Hussein Obama, 47 years of age, will lead the United States and hopefully help us dig out of the mess left over after the last 8 years.
(object) (embed)

(object) (embed)

Yes, we can.

There has never been a better birthday present than this one.

Let's tally this, shall we?


Things I've Done (In Italics)1. Started my own blog2. Slept under the stars3. Played in a band4. Visited Hawaii 5. Watched a meteor shower 6. Given more than I can afford to charity7. Been to Disneyland/world 8. Climbed a mountain 9. Held a praying mantis10. Sung a solo 11. Bungee jumped12. Visited Paris13. Watched lightning at sea14. Taught myself an art from scratch15. Adopted a child16. Had food poisoning 17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty18. Grown my own vegetables 20. Slept on an overnight train21. Had a pillow fight22. Hitchhiked23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill 24. Built a snow fort25. Held a lamb26. Gone skinny dipping27. Run a marathon(walking 3 halves counts, right?)28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice29. Seen a total eclipse30. Watched a sunrise or sunset31. Hit a home run 32. Been on a cruise33. Seen Niagara Falls in person34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestors35. Seen an Amish community36. Taught myself a new language37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person39. Gone rock climbing40. Seen Michelangelo’s David41. Sung karaoke42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant44. Visited Africa45. Walked on a beach by moonlight46. Been transported in an ambulance47. Had my portrait painted48. Gone deep sea fishing49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling52. Kissed in the rain53. Played in the mud54. Gone to a drive-in theater55. Been in a movie56. Visited the Great Wall of China57. Started a business 58. Taken a martial arts class59. Visited Russia60. Served at a soup kitchen 61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies62. Gone whale watching63. Got flowers for no reason64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma65. Gone sky diving66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp67. Bounced a check 68. Flown in a helicopter69. Saved a favorite childhood toy70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial71. Eaten caviar72. Pieced a quilt73. Stood in Times Square74. Toured the Everglades75. Been fired from a job76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London77. Broken a bone78. Been on a speeding motorcycle79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person80. Published a book81. Visited the Vatican82. Bought a brand new car83. Walked in Jerusalem84. Had my picture in the newspaper85. Read the entire Bible86. Visited the White House87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating88. Had chickenpox89. Saved someone’s life (maybe...)90. Sat on a jury91. Met someone famous I once sold yarn and needles to Michelle Pheiffer.92. Joined a book club93. Lost a loved one, 5 people in 5 years.94. Had a baby 95. Seen the Alamo in person96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake97. Been involved in a lawsuit 98. Owned a cell phone99. Been stung by a bee100. Rode an elephant[...]

A New Year, a New start...


I hope 2009 brings much joy and health to you and yours.

I know for us it needs to be a year of healing and growth.



I was tagged by Rachel in this game.
Go into my 4th picture folder, choose the 4th picture, tell you 4 things about it, then tag 4 more people. Here is my picture and my story.


This is my son with by far his favorite stuffed animal, it's name is Harley and my daughter bought it for him one day not too long after our dog passed away.
Harley has quite the personality and is very loved.

Now I have to tag 4 people.
I have no idea how to do that!

There's Charlotte, Chloe, Kimberly (mamakimberly) and Ballee (to add something Dutch to the mix)
Now if I could figure out links we'd be set.

Hey that was fun, lets do it again!


There was no doubt in my mind I'd be a part of TEAM after Seattle.
However the thought of raising $3000 again 2 months later was a bit daunting.
For my last 3 events I raised around $8000 and it was because of incredible generous people.

But with the economy and such I was afraid it might be a big issue.
I decided to apply to become a mentor, it does require a lot more work but it also means you raise less funds.

I put in the application last week and found out today that I was accepted.
I have a month 'off' and then we have info meeting with the Kick-off on the 31st of January.
Training will start the Saturday after and I'm looking forward to a great season.

I've put my personal goal at $2100 and have great fundraising ideas.

Toenails are for Sissies!


Saturday morning, the 29th, I drove myself to the airport.I felt very grown-up about this, oddly.I checked in my suitcase and lugged my gear bag along to the checkpoint.Once in line I spotted a former TEAM mate Linda! We did the squeal and hug routine to great amusement of the security guys. Then it came time for me to walk barefoot through the checkpoint, wasn't going to happen with the injury and they were kind enough to let me walk through with my shoes.My bag did spend an extra 2 minutes in the x-ray machine because I had knitting with me.The flight to Seattle was uneventful and I got my suitcase back in the end too.Onward to the hotel and the Expo. I found the Expo to be a bit disappointing though but then again this was a small race, "only" 4000 racers.The shirt we got I love, it's a 'technical' shirt which means useable in training as it isn't cotton but rather polyester.Cotton is rotten!It had been my plan to go to Pike Place Public Market and I found willing tourists in our group to go.We saw fish fly and had a great time looking around. Alas the original Starbucks was hard to get into, wall to wall people.The pasta party was very small but the usual TNT welcome was amazing.We heard some speakers, our own honoree Don spoke and a Seattle gal.Very moving.10 was lights out and at 5:30 the alarm went off. I felt this was like sleeping in compared to the Saturday training.My room mate and I got dressed and met the coach in the lobby at 6:30.I had been dreading Seattle weather that was rumored to be cold and wet.We were lucky to get fog and 55 degrees, almost weather like at home.After a short walk we made it to the start line.There were 3 of us, Clare , Susan and I.We started out slow. The beginning was uphill and I soon cursed the fact I did never train with TEAM when they did hill training. I was always worried my achilles injury would flare up.Not too long after we walked up the hill in downtown did we move onto the freeway. Now in San Diego I detested the freeway but this one was a breeze and in hindsight quite fun to walk.We even went through a tunnel!At the end of the tunnel we stopped for a potty break and the name for these porta-potties wins a price. Anyone who's been unwise enough to use a porta-potty should get a giggle out of it. I thought it was quite hilarious.Miles 6-8 we walked along incredible streets with very pretty houses. It was still foggy so we saw no lake but it was rumored Lake Washington was to our right.At this point I had to leave my two team mates behind because I felt the need for speed and was being held back by them. No offense but this was my 3rd race and all that training kicked in at mile 8.The next part of the race was through a nature park called the Arboretum, very pretty and very green. People came out to cheer us on and offer us food. Someone had pretzels and I took a handful, what a treat!The last 2 miles were easy compared. I chose a faster walker and walked behind her until a little before the end.I ran the last quarter mile and it was an emotional ending for me. I cried for many reasons, my mom, getting to this race and finishing, being so tired but so proud.I walked around the recovery area for a bit because I felt a little sick. I had a massage and headed to my hotel.In San Diego I was so pooped I needed a nap but after my shower I felt good enough to go out to lunch with a TEAM mate and then off to the Space Needle. I had wanted to go up in it but the fog ruled that out.This marathon was a lot of fun and if I can do it again I'm going for it.[...]

I'm so ready for this!


Driving to work on Tuesday was thinking about the Seattle Half and I thought "I want to do this today!"
Over the last days I've tried to explain this to co-workers and friends and pretty much got the same reaction, they either proclaimed me totaly nuts or they just nodded.
It may not be a big a-ha! moment for people who do not train for events like this but to my walking buddies it's pretty familiar.

My friend Eva and her husband were here for dinner last night.
They completed the Disney half in September and for the first time the dinner table was divided in two camps.
The Half Marathoners and the friends who do not get why there is such a sense of acomplishment when you finish an event.
We tried to rope my husband and our other friends in for a Half, or even a 5k but the eyes glazed over and the topic shifted to different things.

It was at my dinner table in January that Eva gave me the present of her training with me and TEAM in Training.
We are now talking about applying to be mentors for the spring 2009 season which will bring me back to San Diego and the Rock and Roll Half.

So I'm ready for my race this Sunday. We leave on Saturday.

It's been such a rollercoaster ride the last 6 months and my training with all the trips and the injury was pretty spotty and not very consisitant. But by today all the gear has shown to work for me, the foods are sorted out and my speed is where I wanted it to be by now.
I've had time to, somewhat, sort my emotions out.
This will be an emotional race for me, no doubt.
When I cross that finish line it will be for so many people.

If you have followed my journey.....THANK YOU.
I ask of you to today hug the people you love and do something nice for a stranger.

A Deadline and an incentive for those willing to help me.


Today I was interviewed by Jasmine and Gigi of Knitmore Girls podcast fame.
If you're on Ravelry you may have been listening to them, they are a mom and daughter team and I love listening to them.
If you go to itunes and plug in "Knitmore Girls" check out Episode 26 and at the end it has my interview.

Jasmine and Gigi had very kindly asked me to come talk about Team in Training and my fundraising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
Wednesday the 12th will be my final fundraising deadline and I'm still under the $3000 I promised to raise and even further away from my own pledged $3500.

If you landed on my blog after listening to the podcast and have donated please leave me your Ravelry name and you'll be entered in the raffle for a skein of Socks that Rock in the limited Holiday colors.

Thank you!

We interrupt your voting day for some cuteness.



This is Barend, this is his favorite position in the whole world to sleep in.
Torso and front paws flush with the wall and rear and hips turned the other way.
This is also his preferred wall, it's the same length as he is and the pantry door works to help getting that initial grip to get into position.
It was a trick that at first took him awhile to achieve but for him it's bliss. I've heard him sigh on occasion.
Love that dog.

15 years ago


Short blog post but my baby girl turned 15 today.

So far I think she is a good egg and I really like her. We might be on the right track here.

A finished object, and needle felting.


My son thinks I'm way cool because I showed him today what needle felting can do.


This is done on the cloche I finished last week. I might not keep it, it's not deep enough for me.
I have some learning to do about needle felting but for a first project, not too bad.

Knitting content!!!!


Finaly the other purpose of this blog is going to get some attention.

There has been knitting recently but the amount of time spent on the actual knitting has somehow canceled out blogging.
And picture taking.

I've started easy projects and got bored with them rather fast.The solution? New stuff!!!
Knitters ADHD, who doesn't suffer from it?

Alas with the economy as it is yarn shopping is from stash and it has been great actualy.
I recently bought yarn storage and I spent about 4 hours winding, organizing, tossing and setting aside yarn.
Yarn is put away in the new drawers in 'catagories' now, feltable wool, malabrigo, sock yarn ( which turns out to be 80% Socks that Rock)
There is an orange yarn drawer ( that must shock some people for sure) and a black yarn drawer.

So last week with a new project in mind I visited the Malabrigo drawer. There is enough for one sweater, 3 hats and who knows what else.
Recently I've been knitting hats in anticipation to fall, or whatever passes for fall in California. I found a great book, Hip Knit Hats,
I finished a felted cloche (Emma) made out of Pastaza (picture to come soon)
In the book there was an entrelac beret and I cast on for that in Malabrigo.
I don't think I'll do this pattern again unless it is in Brown Sheep. Seriously.
The brim came out way too big so I decreased some and I'll see if it will be wearable or needs frogging.

I am taking a class on how to knit two socks on two circular needles and proved how dyslexic I truly am. Every time I thought I was stuck, I wasn't. To great merriment of my teacher I had to keep asking for help, and the answer was the same. I hadn't finished knitting the next row yet.
I can safely say I got it now but was I ever confused.
Going to knit the heel flap today and hope to turn the heel later this week. Thursday we work on the gusset. I'm scared!

Non-knitting related. Resident Teen went with her choir to a Festival and they received Superior Scores. (95 out of a 100)
I'm so happy I pushed for being a chaperone because is it great to be able to go along on these trips and be around such talent.
On the way to Festivals they are so quiet but on the way back the bus is full of song. Friday's repertoire consisted of Abba, Fleetwood Mac, Beatles and even 'if you're happy and you know it'.
We never pushed Resident Teen and this is only her 2nd year with this advanced choir.
She was given a bigger part in the choir, she went from an Alto to a Mezzo-Soprano over the summer and is blossoming in her new role. Maybe next year she'll move up to the most advanced choir at school but if it doesn't happen, no worries.

Two videos for your enjoyment.
(object) (embed)

(object) (embed)

Resident Teen is top row, third from the right.

9 miles,I rock.


I started training again on Monday and walked my miles every day.
Over the last few weeks, and it's only been 5 weeks since we came back, my training has been spotty.
Then I got injured during a 10k race (a little over 6 miles) and I had to take a 2 week break.
It drove me crazy!
Today was a coach led day and I dared not blow it off.

After the 9 miles, I won't lie, I was in pain.

We need a new gameplan obviously.

I get by with a little help from my friends (10-2-08)


The last few months have been quite the roller coaster for my family and holding it all together has been hard.
After losing my mom we had not quite recovered when R's mom passed away.
Just when we thought we could get a handle on this grief thing we got hit with more.

I've felt very alone at times, unable to want to burden others with my sadness but looking back over the last 4 months I realize the support is there.
Growing up I was the shy awkward kid, double guessing if kids liked me.
I carried that over as an adult a little bit.
During this hard time I found my true friends, they come in many forms. Some are the hands-on-have-a-hug-type and there are also the silent-will-sit-with-you peeps.
I'm overwhelmed by the support, love and concern.
From the friend who bugged me about not visiting the doctor because I'm worried she is going to give me bad news (and *yes* D. I am seeing the Dr today, you are right) to the two friends who presented me with this;

Each knit one sock in secret, even right under my nose!

But it's not the material things that matter the most, although those sock ROCK!, it's the friendship and comfort I've been given that has made my shoulders a little less heavy.
I'm enormously grateful for all the sweet people surrounding me and words do not convey my sincere thanks.

School is in session again, jobs require attention and we're slowly getting back into our routines.
Many things have been interrupted or cut short and it feels odd to do them.

Resident Teen and I visited the Renaissance Faire, it didn't take her long to get back into the whole atmosphere and I was happy to see her smile and giggle.

My training is going badly, my achilles tendon flared up after a 10k I did this weekend with a friend.
The pace was pretty fast paced due to the 'sweepers' being right on our heels. We finished in 1:33 for a distance of 6.2 miles.
Not a bad finish, do the math and 13.1 could easily be done in 3:20 or less. But not with a bum foot so back to Physical Therapy it is.

To my loyal readers, hug a friend today and be well.

Step by step.


Tomorrow I'll have to take up training for the Seattle half again.
I decided with the injury and the time spent away I'm going to go for just finishing.

November 30th might seem far away but I know how close it can be.

Time to say Goodbye


Today was the day of the service.
The way it is done in the Netherlands (in my memory anyway) is that there is a visiting time and then a memorial service durung which people can speak about the deceased.
In general it is family or a real good friend.

We had to go to the old hometown of my inlaws, Utrecht. Mom had come to live in my SIL's hometown in Friesland because it was most convenient to have her close by with us in the US.
She was cared for quite well, with dignity and lots of love from the nursing staff.

We went to the funeral home and met the hearse, changed cars to an acient stretch limo that fit all 6 of us.
In a very slow pace we drove 70 kilometers.

The night before we had decided to take a big part in the funeral by carrying her casket to a sort of rolling 'cart' and then walking about a mile to the place where the memorial was.
All this on incredible beautifull grounds of the cemetery under a half overcast sky.
Past lush green lawns and many flowers and trees.
A hawk flew overhead and the whole walk was very intense and very ceremonial.
We took her to her last resting place.

The service was nice, DH's cousin and his daughter spoke.
My own husband spoke lovely and the music was fitting.

Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli sang "Time to Say Goodbye" and we felt that the chapter was closed.

My brothers came, they did not have to but they came in support.
I did not have a lot of tears, just sadness ove her passing and relief that she is free from the prison that is Alzheimers.

So much sadness again.


Sometimes being an adult and aging parents sucks.
No kidding.

Husband had gone to the Netherlands to sit on a panel for a student of his who was defending his thesis.
His mom has been incapacitated by Alzheimer's in pretty much the last stage for over a year now.
She dwindled down from her formidable 4 foot 10 inches and fiery temper to a little bird that since January was pretty much bedridden.
We were consoled with the fact her mind was pretty much gone when she entered the last stage.
She used to be so combative, it seemed to us now she had peace and was 'hanging' in there.

DH went to visit her on Tuesday and left for his event Wednesday night.

My sister in law is currently in Spain enjoying a holiday and when she is gone DH's cousin (a surgeon) is our contact. He was the one who delivered the news this morning, Dutch time 6:20 am, that mom had passed away.

So here we go again, tickets are booked. Bags almost packed and the last load of laundry (out of 5) has just gone in the machine.

Oma Adrianna B. was 3 months shy of 87, no more pain, no more brain-fog. She is with Opa Jan now.

(ironically, both our mothers passed away the day before a son's birthday. My mom the day before my middle brother, Mom the day before DH's.)

Russian River trip


Our vacation has always been away from home in California to home in the Netherlands.
For the last 14 years we've gone to visit our family over the summer, exceptions were the 9 and 10 years ago when we went for Christmas and the following year for Thanksgiving.
DH's dad and mom were with us for the last winter one and that was the last time we spent with Opa (grandpa)
When he passed away 4 years ago we started going for summers again.
After my mom passed away in May and I spent 3 weeks in the Netherlands we settled in our before-going-to-the-Netherlands routine. quite by accident because we always work up to going home over the summer.
But this time when school ended we did not have any plans to go home to the Netherlands. July came along and we had no idea beyond camp and work about what to do with our summer.
So the plan was hatched to go on a trip close by, with the dogs.
Iris our oldest dog at almost 12 tolerates little and we had no sitter for her. We also figured this might be her last summer so she might as well have some fun!

We ended up choosing the Russian River and Guerneville and I rented a house with 3 bedrooms and a big deck.
We slept in, ate out.
I did do my walks 3 times and we hiked in Armstrong Woods and went wine tasting at Korbel (champagne!)
We rented a canoe and a kayak and took an 8.5 mile (7 hour trip) down the Russian River with kids and dog.

All in all the trip was fun, relaxing and just what we needed.

Starting soon this page will change.


From a purely knitting only page I'm going to blog about trips we take, preformances of Resident Teen and Little Man as well as dayly life here in the US.
I can't blog 3 different blogs, 2 are do-able right now.

Coming soon, our trip the the Russian River.