Subscribe: Tales of the Unknown (Tevis) Rider
Added By: Feedage Forager Feedage Grade B rated
Language: English
back  boy  dad  day  didn  donkey  father  home  horse  horses  mother  pasture  ride  riding  rode  saddle  time  year 
Rate this Feed
Rate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feedRate this feed
Rate this feed 1 starRate this feed 2 starRate this feed 3 starRate this feed 4 starRate this feed 5 star

Comments (0)

Feed Details and Statistics Feed Statistics
Preview: Tales of the Unknown (Tevis) Rider

Tales of the Unknown (Tevis) Rider

Updated: 2014-10-06T22:04:18.274-07:00


Mother's Boy Saves My Father


Okay, promised you the story. But first, a digression to explain my father's riding experience, as far as I knew it at the time. Fade back in black and white.....Ol' Girl was our family's milk cow. Grandpa gave my mother her choice between two Guernsey cows. She chose Ol' Girl, she said, because of her "spirit." Hmmmm. Now, my mom milked Ol' Girl for at least 15 years. Allowing for a couple months off each year for drying up and calving, that's 9,000 times that my mother milked Ol' Girl. Each and every time that cow was milked, she had to be fastened in the stanchion and a "Stop Kick" horse-shoe shaped gizmo ratcheted over her back to impede her efforts to kick. Got a vision of a milkmaid seated on a 3-legged stool, head nestled in the cow's flank, squirting milk two-handed into the milk pail? Nope, instead, envision a woman crouched by the cow's side, one hand holding the milk bucket, milking with the other, and jumping out of the way whenever the "Stop Kick" didn't live up to its name.Now, Ol' Girl did tolerate my mother to some extent. But, she absolutely abhorred my father. When it was time to doctor the cow, guess who got the job? Shots, foot rot, any kind of distasteful jobs went to him. One day his brother and he were hanging out at the place, and someone got the bright idea of riding Ol' Girl. Don't know if they were practicing to become bull riders, and thought they'd begin with a mere cow, or what, frankly. I guess it might be one of those things that, "seemed like a good idea at the time." I'm afraid I don't have a clear recollection of the event, except for seeing Ol' Girl, her tail wringing, bounding down the pasture fence with my dad on her back. Now, every year my dad took us to The Rodeo, so I had a good idea of what it looked like when a man rode a beast. He didn't look bad, but didn't have the advantage of the thing that the bull riders hang onto and so didn't last too long. I believe he limped for a time afterwards, and I also recall it was one of the few times that he drew no sympathy from my mother. (The other time was when he kicked at the rooster and hit the fencepost instead, breaking his big toe.)Also don't recall if his brother had a turn at Ol' Girl.Now, this is the long way around of telling you that my father was not a rider, of horses or of cows. So imagine my sister's (horse co-owner) and my dismay at learning that my father planned to ride Boy on a hunting trip with his compadres? We were sooooo afraid for him. But, what could we say? "Sorry old man, but you can't take that horse that you helped us buy, that you keep and feed and water and shoe and vaccinate, no, you can't take him because we, your young, immature young daughters believe that we know what is best for you." Right. We crossed our fingers, and held our breath, as Boy loaded without a problem and they all motored off to parts unknown.Okay, I'm back. Had to take a break there.Dad came home way early. My memory is very foggy, and I heard nothing from my father, but the story was that they had been riding on a narrow trail on a steep hillside when my dad lost his seat and fell off Boy. He got his foot hung up in the stirrup, though, and was hanging there from the horse. Both my sister and I were so very proud of our good horse, who just stood stock still on the side of that mountain until someone could disentangle our father. And so, because he took me to see the good ranch-broke , though green, horse, and sponsored my purchase, that day my father didn't die in a terrible accident on the side of the mountain. Good Boy![...]

Mother's Boy


Anna and Albert before the Jackass Mail Ride. One summer I worked at a packing house grading oranges and saved $250. My father took me up to a horse ranch in the mountains and we looked at a ranch-trained 5-year old Appaloosa gelding. Though I didn't care for his name, we seemed compatable and my dad and I bought him. He was $500 and so my dad split his contribution evenly between my younger sister and me. I owned 3/4 and my sis owned 1/4 of Boy. That is how it was that we never rode together until we were grown and I had more than 3/4 of a horse.Boy had never been off the ranch and he had some rather odd quirks. For example, he balked at walking onto dirt that was a different color because it was damp. He didn't like to cross the irrigation rivlets in the orange orchards where we rode. But, all in all, he was super! He was young and handsome and had no vices.Boy and I had lots of adventures during the time we lived together. I rode with a few girlfriends who lived nearby and had horses. There was Debbee and Chiquita, a quarter horse. I once mounted Chiquita and she turned around so quickly I was left hanging in the air until gravity took over and I fell to the ground. I've forgotten the name of Debbee's 2nd horse. She was a skewbald mare with a penchant for the persimmons that grew in her pasture. During the fall her white lips were smeared with orange "lipstick." Susie's dad got her a little gray half-Arabian mare and had a Native American saddlemaker create a leather bare back saddle for her with her name on it. Christy carried her neck and head so high that she hit Susie in the chin one day. Susie grabbed her ear and bit it. But, after that she rode Christy with a tie-down. For many, many years after Susie graduated from college and left home, I would pass Christy's pasture and see her quietly grazing.Jan had a big, big Chestnut gelding named, appropriately, Red. He suited her well.During the year our highschool celebrated "Bermuda Day," or "Scatter Day," as it came to be known. Once we decided to ride our horses to school. It was a really long way and we set out before dawn. We rode along the canal road to the school agriculture farm. We put the horses up there while we were at school. For the life of me, I can't remember how we got home. It was about 15 miles, so you'd think I'd remember?I also rode with Anna, who was mounted on one of her older brother's horses. She was a pretty mare, though she jigged more than she walked. We sometimes rode with her brother, Albert. One year he agreed to drive the horse trailer so that we could ride in the annual Jackass Mail Ride--24 or so miles along the road from Porterville to Springville, with a lunch stop at the lake. Anna and I were the first to get to Springville, and we took a "long cut" through a picturesque section of Springville.Boy was "ranch trained," as I said earlier. That's the only reason, I'm sure, that I wasn't left fatherless in highschool. That story is for next time.[...]



First, I didn't like his name. If I had not been so pathetically grateful that my dad had handed me a horse, I would have changed it. He was big, very big. I suppose he was a bay, but I don't have a single photo of him. One day he just showed up in the pasture with the cow. I don't know how old I was, 12 I guess. I bought a western bridle and a curb bit from the feed store, and eventually I got a bare back pad. Never owned a saddle, but my friend's dad loaned me a saddle during the winter when they didn't need them all. I don't recall any boundaries, seems like as soon as I had him, we could gallavant around as we pleased. I day-dreamed about earning money with him, but it only happend once. I took care of a neighbor's place while they were away for two weeks, and I went to their place twice a day riding "Herc." A few memorable occasions stand out for me. One was the time I rode him into town (via back ranch roads through orange orchards). We were almost into town and he balked on me. Everytime I tried to get him to move forward, he would back up. So, superior being that I was, I backed him the whole distance to where I wanted to go.Herc was a good horse, he wasn't mean at all. But, once he decided he really wanted to head back to the pasture. He ran through the front gate and made an abrupt right turn to avoid hitting our stucco house. Unfortunately, I didn't make the turn with him--hit the house and slid down the stucco wall to the ground. Back in those days helmets were for motorcycles and I'm just fortunate.I graduated from 8th grade and joined FFA in high school. I begged to raise a lamb for the fair, and my parents agreed--on the condition that I teach my three-years younger horse loving little sister to ride Herc. I must digress here to a time immediately prior to Herc--for my birthday (which is in that "great" riding month of January) I recieved a month of riding lessons at Riata Ranch (four). I learned the parts of the horse, the saddle and bridle, and how to tack up. I learned how to walk and trot, and how to mount bareback when you have a lot of other people doing the same thing. Unfortunately (there's that word again), one of the days it rained and we did inside stuff. My month of lessons ended just before we got to lope. So, I could teach my unsuspecting younger sibling all this stuff. Before I would let her actually ride Herc, I demanded that she be able to mount by herself. Now, he was a tall horse, and she was a little kid, and the stirrups were a loooong ways up. But, by using the strings (it was a western saddle) she was finally able to shinny her way into the saddle. So, done, I got my lamb.Another digression: What I REALLY wanted was a calf. Bovines were closer to equines. They were big, and could, in a pinch, be ridden. But a calf project was more expensive in every way. So I settled for a lamb. With the assistance of our wonderful student-agriculture teacher, two of my friends and I all bought lambs for the county fair. We trained them and fed them and pampered them with shampoos and haircuts and curls before the fair.While my folks were away, we even let them wander around the house!I don't know why Herc left. No one ever said anything to me, and, for some reason I was afraid to ask. I felt that, somehow, it was my fault. Maybe I didn't ride him enough. Some insight to the fact that, often, kids think that bad things that happen are their fault. A few months ago I was talking about Herc when my aunt, married to my dad's only remaining sibling, was around. She told me that the three brothers had hired some stock for a hunting trip and that my dad bought Herc for me because I wanted a horse so much. So there you go--after all these years. I still don't know why he left, though.After that I got a summer job, determined to buy my own horse--a 5-year old Appaloosa gelding born on Mother's Day. [...]

Before Hercules--



My very best friend from 1st grade up through 8th grade had several overwhelmingly wonderful characteristics. First, she loved horses as much as I; second, her family actually owned horses; third, she and I were the best readers in our class. She was a better athlete than I, but as we pretended that we were twin wild mares running up and down through the foothills where we lived, we agreed that we were identically fast runners, thus eliminating the potential for conflict which might disrupt our enjoyment.

My friend's family operated a seasonal horseback concession out of the national forest. Each summer they would travel up to the mountains where they would live in a cabin without electricity and rent horses by the hour or day. The first summer I was invited to spend a week there I was 9. My friend rode Blaze, a mare who was ridden in a mechanical hackamore. Every day after breakfast and after the horses were taken from the corrals and tacked up, we drug the big rakes across the corrals and loaded the manure to take it to the "sugar pile." We rode there in the back of the pickup, standing up, the wind blowing our hair.

I rode Socks, a small chestnut gelding. My friend's poodle rode Socks also! I had a wonderful time!

My Horsestory Pt. 3--The Jack Tries to Kill Me Instead of the Poodle


Mounted Adventures Between the time of Misty and of Hercules (my next live horse) I was pretty miserable with my horselessness. I made sure that my parents were well well aware of my feeling of emptiness, of neediness, and I found a variety of substitutes for a horse of my own.When the ol' Willow Tree had to go, I at least got to enjoy a bit of riding. I was sad to see it finally hauled away. (As a side note, before it passed that tree was the source of much Tarzan-type enjoyment as my sibs and I made bows and arrows out of the ranches, and swung on the down hanging limbs, yelling, "(insert Tarzan yell here). )One of those ways that my parents could discern the depth of my yearning was my daily reading of the livestock section of the local classified ads. One day, when I was about 9 (note, an "odd" age--no hope), there was an ad--not for horse, but for a donkey--an animal with "excellent disposition with children." And, only $25! Later I overheard my mother on the telephone making arrangements to visit the animal--tears of joy!!Once Jack arrived in our pasture, the neighborhood kids and sibs gathered round and I jumped on his back. Jack wasn't so happy about that and I promptly wound up on the ground. Then little sister wanted her turn. Recalling all the rules about getting back on after a fall, I insisted I had to ride again. So I did.Trey, our poodle, decided to enter the frey. Now, a digression. The ad that stated, "Excellent disposition with children", didn't add, "Deathly hatred of dogs and tries to kill them." After this particular incident we noticed Jack responded to being chased by a dog in a peculiar way; he chased the dog until the dog took off, then the donkey knelt on the ground and bit at it. Now, back to current events....Jack chased Trey around in a circle, and I fell, unfortunately, off in the middle of the circle. Trey promptly disappeared (no loyalty there) and Jack turned his attention to my prone figure. He bit my hand but, not finding much purchase, he grabbed the upper part of my arm with his teeth. Kneeling with a knee on each side of my chest, holding my uper arm in his teeth, he raised me up and shook me around like a dog with a rat.I was not quietly succombing; I beat on his nose with my free hand and screamed, "Daddy Daddy!" Fortunately for me, my father and mother were working nearby. I am told that my father leaped over the 2 pasture fences between us, while my mother ran around to the gates and jumped them. What I do remember, foggily, is my father doing a body tackle into the donkey and yelling, "O'lay!" (This last is probably some kind of hallucination, but that's what I remember.) Nevertheless, he knocked the animal off of me and they carried me to the car and took me to the doctor. (I went directly from accident to doctor only twice as a child.) After an xray of my hand (okay) I returned home. I fretted that my father would kill the donkey to avenge me, but instead he gave the donkey to a relative of a relative. He said they deserved each other.As a 9 year old, I recall feeling quite heroic; if I hadn't insisted on riding after the fall, my younger (skinnier) sister would have been the unlucky recipient of the donkey's angst.Some years later we were at a campground where there was a donkey wondering about. This donkey was gray, while my nemesis was black, but as some young kids were allowing the donkey to approach them I had a feeling of dread and found myself saying, "Watch out," as I advanced and pointed at the donkey with my walking stick. No one paid any attention to me and I began to wonder if I'd actually said anything at all. I slunk off and after that I always wondered if that was my "post traumatic stress syndrome" experience.That was my first and last "donkey experience", though a neighbor girl had a very nice grey donkey and I rode him on at least one occasion.After this experience I was forced to content myself with my Five-gaited Breyer horse with the red and white [...]

My Horstery-Part 2


Misty, my first live horse. She lived at my grandparents where I would her visit on Sundays. She and I went where ever Misty wanted to go-- fortunately she never wanted to wander onto the road.
One day I came home from kindergarten to find all of our worldly goods packed onto the back of my grandparent's flatbed 2 ton truck. They were just waiting for me. I don't remember being surprised when they told me we were moving to the "Ranch". This was a small rural 3 acres or so owned by my grandparents and I was happy that Misty could live with us. I was supposed to ride her every day after school. I had a halter and lead rope to use for her, but I lost that privilege when I forgot to take it off one day after riding. So, she and I travelled around the neighbor's 10 acres, usually at a walk. All the neighborhood kids were drawn to her and we'd hang out on the hill beneath an oak tree, me sitting on her back--even though I was younger than the others, I enjoyed that ancient natural superiority of the horseman over mere mortals.
Occasionally Misty went much faster and the only fall that hurt was the time she was chasing some cows and lost me as she rounded a turn. The centrifugal force was just too strong and I landed in a thistle patch.
Our rides always ended with my unplanned dismount.
One sad day I came home and Misty wasn't in the pasture. I was told that the neighbors wanted more cows on their 10 acres, and our small acreage wouldn't support a horse as well as the milk cow and two calves.
And, thus began the long, barren, horseless period of my life--a dry desert with the longing for a horse becoming more painful every year. My fantasy was that some even-numbered birthday --I'd get a horse. It wasn't 8, it wasn't 10. But, the next 4-legged animal was not a horse--and nearly killed me.

My Horstory--Part I


Recently my niece asked me if I'd every owned a horse until it died. I gave her an abridged version of my horse-history, and have decided it might be enlightening to dredge up my horse-history (horstory?).

It's difficult for me to recall a time when horses were not a part of my awareness. My grandfather was a government cowboy when he married my grandmother, employed in predator control in Arizona (or was it New Mexico?) His after-Sunday dinner stories are part of my memory--especially the tale of how he won a horse race driving a pacer against a saddle horse.
I rode horses outside the drugstore--piebalds with real leather saddles and bridles and a place to insert quarters. Most often, I rode them without quarters. Prior to, and during the time I was in Kindergarten, my family rented a house behind our landlady's home. She had twin grandchildren, a boy and a girl. They were older than I and had a horse that lived there also.

On one occasion the twins' stick horses came up missing and our landlady, Mrs. Marshall, came to the door and asked me if I'd seen them. I didn't have a clue, and let her know. Later, the horses were found where the twins had left them, and Mrs. Marshall brought a red and a blue stick horse for my younger sister and me. Mom told me that Mrs. Marshall felt guilty because she'd thought that I'd taken them. I guess Mrs. Marshall had discerned my facination with horseflesh.
The twins did let me sit on their horse while he stood in the pasture, though. I was home from school with the mumps, and I recall my mother not being pleased at all.

My grandfather didn't have a horse during my lifetime--probably for a good deal of time before that, but he made sure I had a pony by the time I was 6. There was no saddle, and the bridle was for a regular-sized pony, not one that would fit it the back seat of the Buick. So, I carried the bridle over my shoulder every day, like a purse, to Kindergarten. The pony lived at my grandparents home, where it masqueraded as a big dog. More to come.

Winning By a Nose--A Whole New Meaning!


(image) This is the nose of Dew East, who turned one year old on the 14th! This photo was to assist in drawing accurate markings for his registration. He's a sweet gray colt soon to be a wonderful gelding.

In Search of the Elusive Arena


I have an arena, I know I left it somewhere around here . . . . The last time I saw it was just before my husband made some substantial investments in large beams and several lots of windows, along with 3 steel truck beds, 4 cotton trailers, several hundred gravity operated chicken waterers, enough ribbed aluminum roofing to roof two football fields, an antique manure spreader, some shop cabinets, 40 3'x9' mirrors (with minor flaws), and some used plywood.

I know it's here somewhere, and I hope to find it this summer so that I can practice my dressage and be a better rider for my ponies. If anyone sees my arena, will you tell it to come home? I miss it.

Still Going to Wild Crew


I've decided to adjust my goals with reality in order to avoid frustration. This is my passion, yes, but it is also my hobby and, as such, is supposed to increase joy and decrease stress. Hear that, my 4-legged guys and gals?

Had a wonderful relaxing weekend walking and trotting along in the great outdoors. Didn't see too much wildlife--a bird that my knowledgable niece told me was an Oriole, a coyote she saw but I didn't, squirrels that she saw but I didn't, and one freshly deceased cow, which we all saw. It, unlike the other wildlife, was still. I guess they all have to die sometime, and they aren't going to walk out on the ice to do so.

My daughter's horse ran over the top of her while she was trying to lead him over a very challenging stream obstacle, but he avoided her vital parts. Fortunate for him because she is the one who makes sure he gets a yummy bucket.

I wish I had a photo of the ride to post, maybe my niece will have one she can send me???

Good Things About Rain





Okay, here I am again. The rain has cancelled out everything except the stuff that costs--feeding, trimming, etc. Daughter has 2 horses that need feed all year round! In spite of a multitude of great pasture on which the other 10 get nice and plump. Well, it does give me some leverage.....

So, she and I are headed for the Wild West Ride! My wonderful niece has provided motivation by telling me what a great time it is. If I can just get some riding in before hand . . . I really, really miss the rides--It's been two years, I think, since a completion.

Going, going, going---Gone!


That's what it felt like Sunday just before I landed face-first in the arena dirt. I should have known better--Beau was just looking for an excuse to run. I hadn't ridden him in a good 6 weeks--and the lovely spring weather--he was just too full of himself and forgot that he was supposed to "respect" me. All was well relatively speaking, except that my shin came down on one of those lovely concrete blocks that folks use to hold up the PVC pipes when they make dressage rings. I hung on around his neck until I saw a clear spot for my face. (ha ha). My instructor leaped on and he wouldn't give her the respect she deserved so they had a friendly roundpen discussion and my Beau had a very nice attitude adjustment. I just have to stay on top of it--mentally I know all this, and if I'd just treat my horses with the same attitude as my kids, it would be okay. Until next Friday......

Back in the Saddle!


I'm just heading out this Sunday late morning for a dressage lesson on Beau--finally it stopped raining and this glorious weekend is indeed the first of Spring!!!

Oldest daughter picked up a brand new pair of jodhs that fit PERFECTLY and hubby helped change my changeable gullet to a wider one--the black one--for Beau--and he's waiting in the roundpen for me to get him. Wish me luck!

I'm Back...


.... in spite of the crappy weather (but really glad because the grass is growing!) and am determined to do what I can--which is the treadmill and making sure my truck's brakes get fixed. My hat is set for------Wild West Pioneer! Stay tuned.

Correction to Book Title....


It is "Feet First."

Barefoot Success is 10% Trimming--the Other 90%:


Well into January now and a plan emerges. At daughter's insistence, I practiced for my dressage lesson on the former race horse she's been riding for the last 2 years--we'll call him "Beauregard," or "Beau" for short. And, again at her insistence, used him for the lesson. Boy, I'm finally getting some value out of all that $ spent on daughter's training. When I followed her directions, it worked! She even had me going over a cross bar.

The lesson was delightful, I found that I could canter circles without feeling as though I was on a carnival ride and going to be thrown out of the circle by centrifugal force. So, we've agreed that she will focus on riding the horse that I just spent $1150 on (boarding and training) and I will ride Beau and Hope. I do plan on having Hope at the trainer in the spring for 30 days--that should help us.

Now, for the greatest insight this year---- For barefoot horse success, trimming is 10%, nutrition and environment is the other 90%.

Recommended by a barefoot friend, "Hooves First" is a great book on the 90%. Reading it got me motivated and I went out with hubby's help and cleaned all hooves but pony and baby, and examined white lines.

(Explanation: I had some spray made with copper sulfate that my farrier recommended several years ago when I got my 27 year old former race and brood mare. Her white line showed quite severe detachment. I didn't use it on her much, but did keep her feet trimmed. The first time she was trimmed she went very lame. Soon, I bred her and 7 months ago she foaled. From the first I had her on a supplement I found out about at the Ag Expo in Tulare--Equipride (also, Equilix in block form). Her age and value, and the foal I wanted, were the motivating factors. This stuff is not cheap, but it only takes a cup a day and so lasts a long time.

Cut to present time: Of all the horses only my 3 year old had a really strong attachment without room to stick a pick in to the white line. We went over to the pasture where my old mare is. I guess I hadn't really looked at her feet for a long time because BOY was I surprised! Her feet looked just like the 3-year olds' feet!!!!!! Tight, tight white line, healthy live sole. So, where am I going after work today?? To the closest dealer, 30 minutes from work, but 2 hours from home, to pick up 2 Equilix blocks for the pastures, to get the horses "pre loaded," and a 50 # bag of Equipride.

It seems true that bad feet doom horses more than any other single thing. I'm going to do more interval trimming myself, to save a few dollars, and invest in the nutrition. The horses are on pasture, and 6 months of the year it's mostly alfalfa hay and sparse grass. It's a very natural diet for the most part. The hard keeper and the mama (baby was weaned at Christmas but she's still catching up) get 4# of LFM and 2# of beet pulp, with 2 cups of oil (all this in 2 feedings) per day, along with Equipride! When I'm preparing for a ride, I began supplementing my horse with beet pulp and oil. Now everyone is going to get Equipride too!

By the way, the environment part of the book is very interesting and worth trying to institute! I highly recommend this book. Are you listening Melinda?????




At last the New Year approaches and a chance to begin again--nunc pro tunc. I installed the green gullet in the Isabell. Yes, it's true things are not moving along right now. I'm going to try the Gloves on when my boy's toes grow out a bit. By measurement, his foot is too short for the width, but ordinarily it isn't, so I guess my farrier is getting his toes really mustangy.

Plan to ride New Year's Eve and Day with my special niece--what a way to start the New Year!!!! Get ready for photos--I'm using Adobe LightRoom 2!!!!



The Isabell came, nice, but I've had to order the medium narrow (green) gullet--with the regular black one, it slides up over his shoulders too much. I'm working to get him to stand still while I mount on rocks, logs, etc. Next will be to get him to stop as soon as I get (or fall) off.

Things are moving pretty slowly on the endurance front--I plan a big push on the first (of course!)

I do have most of my Christmas shopping done, though!

Plodding on. . . .


Went for a nice ride with number 1 son. I used the chance to ride with a novice to do the steep mine road and down the back side. It was a nice 4 hour 12 mile ride that we all enjoyed. I'm varying quick fast rides with daughter with slow long steep rides with hubby and son. This time I used the Easy Boot Bares. They obviously were adjusted too large but it's such a pain in the a** to adjust them on the horse--and I can't adjust them to fit before I install them. I figured, correctly, they'd stay in place for walking.

I'm looking forward to the next dressage lesson with Aniah. I've not felt 100% comfortable about the fit of the Thorowgood dressage saddle and was looking for a used Thorowgood T4 Dressage (since they're new, fat chance) or a used (same price or more than the Thorowgood T4) Wintec Isabell with CAIR panels. Finally got one on e-bay and hoping it gets here before Friday. I can't find out what gullet it has installed, so may have to order another.

A Boot Failure


An abject failure. Put the front boots on and took of for a short, quick ride. They mushed around sideways and I had to take them off. I KNOW they are the right size. So, why wouldn't they stay on? Does anyone get their Gloves to stay on? I fit using the fit kit, but tomorrow I'm going to measure and see how it compares with what we bought. So disappointed. :--(

Trimming & Worming & Measuring & Fitting Gloves


Boy, it's when one does all that stuff it really hits home how many horses 11 is! Only trimmed 6, the other 2 that need it will get it soon, the farrier had another few appointments. And, when we gathered them all up and wormed them, I measured them with a stick for the first time! I always "weigh" them with the tape before worming. It turns out that my horse is the talles! He's over 15 h! No wonder it seems like I'm always looking down on daughter's horse when we ride.

The New Gloves.
I have a pretty varied assortment of boots, the Easyboot original, the Bare, the old Old Mac, and I'm strongly aware of the necessity of a good fit. So, I ordered the Easyboot Glove/Glue-on Fit Kit and, a week after a trim on my boy, sized him at a .05, which is halfway between a 1 and a 0, on the fronts. So, I ordered a pair and, again after a trim, tried them.

Hmm, it sure seemed like they were going to be too small. Unlike the "shells" they sent in the Fit Kit, the Gloves have stuff around the heels that causes them to be less flexible. Well, I had confidence in my original fitting, so I stuffed them on his right (smaller) hoof and waited a day. They now look really perfect. If one is accomstomed to the old easy boot, they look too small, but EasyCare has really lowered the profile on these and they are intended to just barely come up from the weight bearing surface of the hoof.

Today I will see if I can take the now, hopefully, enlarged boot and put it on his left hoof. Only then will I know if they are a real fit. And, I'll have to get one of those handy little rasps for between trimmings! He's always tender for a couple of weeks after a trim even though he's been bare his entire life.



Well, I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to use my Garmin e trex Legend HCx with Google Earth, the Garmin map source, and the National Geographic Explorer 24k super quad maps. I just need to do a single perfect project to learn the interface. I really want to be comfortable with this.

In the meantime, had the farrier out to trim 6 horses! Two more needed it but he'll come back another day when he has more time. I do believe their hooves are growing faster, just as is the grass.

Planning a ride on Sunday with my hubby. Every chance I get, I want him to have fun with horses!

Gotta drive to the city today for a dinner meeting, back late again, then to the other city for work tomorrow, then working from home on Friday!!!

Photos from the Sunday ride promised!

Where We Are Now


I have a new girth for the dressage saddle--to replace the "girth from hell" (no roller buckles); stirrup leathers (daughter wants mine); and, finally, a used Treadstone bridle, since other daughter says endurance halter/bridle combo is not "appropriate" for my dressage lessons. Note: I cannot find a noticeable difference between the really really inexpensive ($25 new on e-bay) and this bridle which retails for $100 +.

Finally, I bought us a really, really, nice sheepskin half pad at the RamTap Horse Trials last weekend (older daughter was suitably jealous) that is machine washable and vouched for! I guess we're ready to roll!

Horsey Humor! Snort alert-


Dear Tech Support:
Recently I purchased and installed Horse 1.0. I soon noticed that thisprogram appears to have numerous glitches. For instance, every time mycomputer boots up, I have to run Feed 5.3 and Water 7.1. Many times I'vebeen in the middle of writing an important document, and a window will flashtelling me to run Clean Stall 2.0. This program also contained applicationsI did not wish to install, such as Manure 8.5, however they auto-installedwith Horse 1.0.
Applications such as Vacation 2.7 and Free Time 10.1 can no longer run,crashing whenever selected. Possibly the worst is that Horse 1.0 hasattached itself to programs like Finance Manager and MS Money, with foldersadded such as "Monthly Shoeing" and "Winter Blanket". Periodically, I'll geta reminder telling me to send a check to the manufacturer of Horse 1.0 forthe aforementioned items.
I have tried to uninstall Horse 1.0 numerous times, but when I try to runthe uninstall program, I get warning messages telling me that a deadly virusknown as "Withdrawal" will infect my system. Please Help!!!!!
Dear User,
Your complaint is not unusual. A common misconception among users is thatHorse 1.0 is a mere "utilities and entertainment program." It is not- it isan OPERATING SYSTEM and is designed by its' creator to run everything! Awarning will soon be imprinted on the box.
Since you have already installed Horse 1.0, here are a few tips on how tomake it run better. If you are annoyed by the applications Feed 5.3 andWater 7.1, you may run C:\HIRE HELP, however this will cause another folderto be added to financial applications, labeled "Staff". Failure to sendpayment to "Staff" will result in Feed 5.3 and Water 7.1 being run again onstartup.
A note of caution: NOT booting up your computer for several days isn't thesolution to avoiding Feed 5.3 and Water 7.1. You will find that, when youboot up your computer again, a nasty virus called "Colic 4.2" will haveattached itself to important documents and the only way to rid your computerof Colic 4.2 is by purchasing and installing "Vet 10.1", which we admit isextremely expensive, but crucial. Otherwise, Colic 4.2 will causeirreversible damage to the operating system.
Finally, it is important that you run C:\Carrots and C:\Scratch Ears on afairly regular basis to keep the application running smoothly. If you haveany more questions, please call our toll free number.
Tech Support
Author unknown